Now to look for me a horse... may of found it - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Horses for Sale

Now to look for me a horse... may of found it

This is a discussion on Now to look for me a horse... may of found it within the Horses for Sale forums, part of the Horse Resources category

    Like Tree6Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        03-03-2013, 04:43 PM
      #11
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KyMoMoF3CuTiEs    
    So, this mare is 4 years old, 8 year old rider. She has never been in a trailer. And if you feed her corn she acts like a kid rushed up on sugar he says. And she does good with her feet and she's never been on a trail just around the house. Wished there was a handbook that you could go down the line and ask crazy questions about horses before you go look. And he changed the price on her, $400 for 3 leather saddles and her. But, he likes to trade so make him an offer.
    None of these points make a horse SAFE to ride.

    I do not think you should get a 4 year old just because an "8 year old" rides her.

    The place I used to work at had this mare that could be ridden by 3 year olds.. but she was a known bucker, spooker, etc. Does not mean she is safe for kids.. only under supervision and only pony rides.

    Inevst in a been there done that beginner.. which will NOT be cheap. If you are looking for a cheap horse, then maybe you should question if you can afford a horse at all.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        03-03-2013, 06:04 PM
      #12
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    None of these points make a horse SAFE to ride.

    I do not think you should get a 4 year old just because an "8 year old" rides her.

    The place I used to work at had this mare that could be ridden by 3 year olds.. but she was a known bucker, spooker, etc. Does not mean she is safe for kids.. only under supervision and only pony rides.

    Inevst in a been there done that beginner.. which will NOT be cheap. If you are looking for a cheap horse, then maybe you should question if you can afford a horse at all.
    Actually, I bought a horse for my daughter that was $500.00 from a dressage teacher. She is a dead broke mare, been there done that 10 yr old. And she is bred. Horses are pretty cheap around here, I never said I was looking for a cheap horse, I was kinda picking fun at him for the things he said in the last post. No, I am not buying her. No she is not a horse for me. He called me because he is a horse shoer of a friend that told him I wanted a horse. I am looking for something 10 years or older for us. I was just excited that he called because he is a known shoer and thought if he said it was good must be. But, I was wrong.
         
        03-03-2013, 06:12 PM
      #13
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KyMoMoF3CuTiEs    
    I am looking for something 10 years or older for us. I was just excited that he called because he is a known shoer and thought if he said it was good must be. But, I was wrong.
    Alright, just making sure that you aren't getting yourself into trouble :) I didn't mean my last post with any attitude.. so apologies if it came out that way.
    KyMoMoF3CuTiEs likes this.
         
        03-03-2013, 06:22 PM
      #14
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    Alright, just making sure that you aren't getting yourself into trouble :) I didn't mean my last post with any attitude.. so apologies if it came out that way.
    Naw! I didn't take it that way. I have been offered 2 free horses too. But the orignal seller of the horses wanted them back. They were great horses I wanted so bad from people I actually knew personally. When I go look at the horse I go look first. Then I may take my kids the second time. Then I usually will go back again with my kids. Then my trainer if she don't go with me one of the other times. If I don't think I can handle it I def know I wouldn't stick my kids on it. Its hard to look, but I have this mare that is ready to foal so I have been putting all of my time effort and money into her. Not really looking hard but, if they find me then that may be a different story! HA-HA
         
        03-03-2013, 06:26 PM
      #15
    Cat
    Green Broke
    You can find some excellent deals here in KY right now. My awesome mare was only $400 and she is not spooky and well trained. You just need to take time and look - and don't believe everything someone tells you.

    One question - is your daughter's horse gaited or a trotter? If you want to ride together on trails it is easier if both horses are trotters or both are gaiters. It can be done to be mixed but easier if they are similar.
         
        03-03-2013, 06:31 PM
      #16
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cat    
    You can find some excellent deals here in KY right now. My awesome mare was only $400 and she is not spooky and well trained. You just need to take time and look - and don't believe everything someone tells you.

    One question - is your daughter's horse gaited or a trotter? If you want to ride together on trails it is easier if both horses are trotters or both are gaiters. It can be done to be mixed but easier if they are similar.
    Shes a QH, we have always had appys and QH so that's where I want to stay. Just Standard. Where in Ky are you? I am in Western Ky. I went and got this mare from Tn but, it was just a two hour drive.
         
        03-03-2013, 06:35 PM
      #17
    Cat
    Green Broke
    I'm in central KY but got my mare up near Louisville.

    Over in Western KY there had been a decent draft cross I had my eye on. Not sure if he is still available. He was 10 and kid safe. Want me to look for him? Also if you are on FB there are a couple KY horse sales pages that you might want to check out.
         
        03-03-2013, 06:40 PM
      #18
    Yearling
    I am on Fb, right now I think I have 4 horse for sale pages on there. Sure you can see if he is. I could even go look for you and take lots of pics for you to see more of him if you still want him. If he is pretty close, like within a 2 hour frame.
         
        03-03-2013, 06:41 PM
      #19
    Trained
    Make a list of exactly what you want (kind of like how you did in your first post, but more detailed). Order them according to importance. If age is the most important, out that first. Then training. Then size. And so on. Decide what you're willing to compromise on and how far you're willing to compromise. The two biggest things I would not budge on are age and training.

    Have the list with you when you look at horse ads or go look at horses. If the horse doesn't match the list, walk away.

    Also, don't get caught up in "pretty." No good horse is a bad color, and the "ugly" horse you pass up may be the absolute perfect horse for you.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        03-03-2013, 06:44 PM
      #20
    Cat
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KyMoMoF3CuTiEs    
    I am on Fb, right now I think I have 4 horse for sale pages on there. Sure you can see if he is. I could even go look for you and take lots of pics for you to see more of him if you still want him. If he is pretty close, like within a 2 hour frame.
    LOL - I was suggesting him for you if you were interested. I bought our horse already.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Horse found Inedine Horse Talk 16 12-21-2012 10:49 AM
    We may have found 1st horse! what next? mydaughtersgroom Horse Talk 5 10-09-2012 10:04 PM
    Fun horse survey I found! amywalters789 Horse Talk 31 03-27-2011 12:56 AM
    I found my horse!!!!! kathryn Horse Talk 4 05-31-2010 08:47 AM
    Found a new horse!!! horseluver250 Horse Talk 10 03-31-2010 12:03 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0