opinions on this horse? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Resources > Horses for Sale

opinions on this horse?

This is a discussion on opinions on this horse? within the Horses for Sale forums, part of the Horse Resources category

    Like Tree29Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-17-2014, 05:05 AM
      #11
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevenson    
    LA OC... lol... bet they are asking at least 8grand probably more like 15 G for her.
    The prices are usually very high in the OC
    I'm in the LA area... You'd be surprised how LOW the horse prices are. Which means OP can find a really AWESOME horse for not that much. OP - I'm sorry but I don't like this horse.

    If you don't know much I wouldn't go with a TB, or at least not that one. The horse was all different speeds on the jumper course and that's not fun for a green rider. Over bent in the first video. I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for this horse.

    Look at this one and how loose the rider is riding with the rein. That doesn't seem like a horse that would take off, but no video:
    Nice Hunter/jumper mare for sale 17 hand grey | Buy this Horse at Equine.com
    Warmblood cross, and adorable.

    This one is cute! Beautiful Hunter/jumper/dressage mare | Buy this Horse at Equine.com

    About me? In the LA area too...hunter/jumper wanna be trail with my grey TB. Been riding for 26 years. TBs are very common so don't overpay unless your in love!
    Corporal likes this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-17-2014, 05:32 AM
      #12
    Foal
    I like the horse in its own. Could have had a bit more training for a 9yr old, but for the purposes you describe, you have the time.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gossalyn    
    My goals are to get better at training, try some dressage, ride trails, and light jumping for fun. Maybe enter a school show. Ride w/ my friends. Learn more about horsemanship.
    And if you persist, it might be really good for the horse as well.



    There is another video, again poor filming, but she goes in the water and over all attempted obstacles and has a nice natural step in my opinion. The rider could also do more to help her with clear direction etc.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ShhY2_Dpc


    Agree with others that the tail situation needs to be checked. In the end it might turn out to be a way to get a better price more than a big problem, but who knows at this point.

    If I were you, I would definitely go for a trial ride and see if a potential match exists.
         
        01-17-2014, 01:12 PM
      #13
    Foal
    Thank you for all the comments! Regardless of anything said, I am going to go see her because I think it will be fun & educational, it's all set up - and really - you learn a whole lot more when you are there.

    My friend with a lot of experience will probably ride her first to get a good idea. He also isn't afraid to jump or ride anything, so we can see her coursing in person.

    I personally will start at the walk and not proceed to any level I don't feel completely comfortable with. Judging from the feedback here I'm guessing that will be walk, trot and a little canter. Unless she is handling very well and I feel super comfy, I won't try a x-rail and if I do it will be at the trot. Seems unlikely though.

    Not everyone played the price game, but I'll revel the asking now. They are asking $7k but admit they are negotiable for a good home. I made it clear they would have to come down before even posting this thread, and now I'm even more wary. Yes my city is RIDICULOUS when it comes to all horse expenses... We get higher salaries here in general but still, it's a little crazy.

    Realistically - before this horse I was looking for an "extra special insider deal" for free or like $1k or less (almost came close to getting one but it didn't work out).. (p.s. Not free from craigslist, but free from a well vetted source.. we have a lot of rich people here who more care about a good home than money)

    But if I'm admitting to myself I'm willing to pay a little more and as kittenkittenkitten points out - there may be other options. You may not have heard the last of me asking for opinions... hope you don't mind :)

    Regardless I will post an update when I see her though!
    frlsgirl likes this.
         
        01-17-2014, 03:03 PM
      #14
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gossalyn    
    Thank you for all the comments! Regardless of anything said, I am going to go see her because I think it will be fun & educational, it's all set up - and really - you learn a whole lot more when you are there.

    My friend with a lot of experience will probably ride her first to get a good idea. He also isn't afraid to jump or ride anything, so we can see her coursing in person.

    I personally will start at the walk and not proceed to any level I don't feel completely comfortable with. Judging from the feedback here I'm guessing that will be walk, trot and a little canter. Unless she is handling very well and I feel super comfy, I won't try a x-rail and if I do it will be at the trot. Seems unlikely though.

    Not everyone played the price game, but I'll revel the asking now. They are asking $7k but admit they are negotiable for a good home. I made it clear they would have to come down before even posting this thread, and now I'm even more wary. Yes my city is RIDICULOUS when it comes to all horse expenses... We get higher salaries here in general but still, it's a little crazy.

    Realistically - before this horse I was looking for an "extra special insider deal" for free or like $1k or less (almost came close to getting one but it didn't work out).. (p.s. Not free from craigslist, but free from a well vetted source.. we have a lot of rich people here who more care about a good home than money)

    But if I'm admitting to myself I'm willing to pay a little more and as kittenkittenkitten points out - there may be other options. You may not have heard the last of me asking for opinions... hope you don't mind :)

    Regardless I will post an update when I see her though!
    WOAH lady, don't you dare pay $7000 or even close to that for that horse! Remember I live where you live, there are a lot of nice horses In the area if that's your budget. You want a safe bomb proof horse that you can feel confident on. Do yourself a favor and look at at least five horses. Money is tight for a lot of people so there are a lot of horses on the market. Ps I love the cute warmblood TB cross that I posted, and that horse is the same price as miss rushes jumps!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Corporal, 2BigReds and Gossalyn like this.
         
        01-17-2014, 03:18 PM
      #15
    Teen Forum Moderator
    Absolutely do not pay 7k for that mare. She's green at best, and while I'm not an English rider and definitely not a jumper, I cringed at the way she was flailing and throwing herself over that jumping course. I don't think she's a bad horse, but has huge gaps in her training and doesn't look quiet at all. Definitely not what I'd suggest an advanced beginner to buy...especially for that price. She is in a false, over flexed frame, and that tail is just horrendous. They should have left it alone.

    I'm liking the grey mare that was just posted though...the ten year old "Katie Rose." If you're going to pay that much for a horse, buy one that looks steady and that has at least some decent training. This horse isn't in perfect frame but it is carrying itself with much more impulsion in the back with quiet hands, which means that it isn't being pulled into frame. She isn't the scopiest jumper, but I really don't think that will matter much for what you're looking for. An honest first horse is much better than a flashy psycho.
    smrobs, Gossalyn and Yogiwick like this.
         
        01-17-2014, 04:17 PM
      #16
    Foal
    Oh yeah, I wasn't going to pay $7k even when I thought she might be great... :) If she's as these videos suggest, I probably will not even be paying $1.

    Katie Rose looks cute. I'm really looking for 15h-16h range, something I can hop on and off of a little easier. But it's not out of the question, i'd rather too big than too small. My real concern here is that I think they lowered the price to $7,500, and I'm really looking to pay more like $3k. But always worth writing I guess.. Keeping a horse someone doesn't want or can't afford can make them very negotiable, so you never know.. It always seems to be a buyers market for horses.
         
        01-17-2014, 04:25 PM
      #17
    Foal
    Just out of curiosity - what does boarding cost per month in OC?
         
        01-17-2014, 04:49 PM
      #18
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb    
    Just out of curiosity - what does boarding cost per month in OC?
    Not sure about OC, but at the Paddock where I am it's about $580, and at Los Angeles Equestrian Center it's $500-$638 I think (depending on where/accomodation type/size)

    (we pay training, lessons, vet, shoes, hay, turn outs, grooming etc. on top of that)

    These are the only places that are convenient for me, I live in LA proper and they are right outside in the Valley (Glendale/Burbank) so it's a 30 minute ride (or hour ride in rush hour traffic).

    Really, I need to move! :)
         
        01-17-2014, 06:34 PM
      #19
    Super Moderator
    I think you'd do better at your level to look for what I call a schoolmaster that knows the job inside out with no ifs or buts - it will give you confidence and if you then want to go for something that's more of a challenge later on you'll have the skills to deal with any quirks - and I suspect this horse has a few.
         
        01-17-2014, 07:34 PM
      #20
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gossalyn    
    Not sure about OC, but at the Paddock where I am it's about $580, and at Los Angeles Equestrian Center it's $500-$638 I think (depending on where/accomodation type/size)

    (we pay training, lessons, vet, shoes, hay, turn outs, grooming etc. on top of that)

    These are the only places that are convenient for me, I live in LA proper and they are right outside in the Valley (Glendale/Burbank) so it's a 30 minute ride (or hour ride in rush hour traffic).

    Really, I need to move! :)
    Not cheap... first time I hear hay is on top to boot, but I guess different country.

    In Vienna city limits it is generally around 500 euro, but always including bedding, hay and concentrated feed. Cost drops rapidly beyond city limits.

    Interesting to compare. Let us know what happens at the visit.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Best Horse For Me - Opinions? Vetgirl New to Horses 32 07-27-2013 06:52 PM
    Opinions on this horse? HorseExpert Horse Conformation Critique 20 03-15-2013 09:46 PM
    New Horse! Need Opinions KylieHuitema Horse Training 1 03-12-2013 09:21 AM
    Opinions on this horse? kgecpeach Horses for Sale 7 07-04-2012 10:59 AM
    Opinions on this Horse? kathryn Horse Riding Critique 13 07-31-2009 07:24 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:15 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0