Originally Posted by Clementine
On the website is says that #3, Daddy Puff was put down today instead of going to slaughter. RIP. :(
I would like to be able to take one if I could. I will have to ask my parents.
Yes, this is what was posted on the rescue forum:
Would like to provide an update for Daddy Puff.
The breeder of Daddy Puff decided to put the filly down. Upon arrival to the broker lot (someone dropped her off there), she was suffering with strangles and in poor condition. After speaking several times throughout the week (breeder/Christy and myself) the breeder also was able to find out that the filly had a bad knee as well (spoke to her last owner). The breeder made the decision to humanely euthanize her and thankfully, with the cooperation of the broker and vet, the filly was put to sleep this afternoon to end her suffering. I also believe this was the best decision as does Christy. If she were not euth'd her stay at the brokers would've been to recover from the strangles, gain weight and ship to slaughter. Nobody wanted to see that happen.
The breeder is researching exactly what happened to this filly after her last race in Jan. 09'. So far, we have learned from the breeder- inquiring to the last owner
- that the owners trainer
gave the filly to someone she knew
. Who that someone is we have yet learn. The filly last raced at Aquaduct and it's unclear if this other person she was given to by the trainer is from that area or elsewhere. Where ever this filly has been in the past several months, she was in my opinion, not taken care of (very thin). This information was conveyed to Christy and myself by the breeder, after having spoke to the last owner of Daddy Puff. The breeder will be given proof that the filly was euth'd today as well as the vet calling to speak w/her. The breeder was responsible for the fillies expenses. Our thanks go out to this breeder.