Soundness Guarantee clause - The Horse Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 339
• Horses: 2
Soundness Guarantee clause

Okay, so this may already be posted somewhere, but the quick search wasn't picking it up.

I am selling a horse. The prospective buyer has already been out to see her, they are coming back tomorrow to take her for a pre-purchase vet exam, and if all goes well, they will purchase her. However, the buyer still wants a 30-day soundness guarantee on her. The mare is not broke to ride, but to the best of my knowledge, she is perfectly sound, and we will be doing the vet exam at a vet of her choice, so if the horse passes, she should be in the clear for the 30 days, so I'm not all too concerned that the horse isn't sound. My worry is that she will just decide that she doesn't want the horse and want to return her. She could have a good friend as a vet that would be willing to find something, anything wrong to say she had a pre-existing condition, and return her. Right now, I've got 5 people interested in the mare, and I don't want to turn them all away and then have her back again, and possibly in worse condition (if the buyer were to mis-handle her, the mare can be finicky and sensitive, all of which I have told the buyer). I'd really rather not put the clause in there, but I had told her that I would, and I'm not sure if there is a smooth way to retract that. So I am just wanting a fool-proof clause in my bill of sale. She is an unbroke horse that they are only wanting for trail riding and I am only selling for $850.

This is my current clause:
Buyer may return Equine to seller within 30 days of sale if equine is found to be unsound for general riding purposes by a licensed veterinarian due to a pre-existing condition. In such case, Equine must be returned in same condition as sold. All veterinary and transportation costs are at Buyer’s expense. Seller has the right, at own expense, to get a second opinion.

Any ideas, suggestions, and opinions will be appreciated.
Southern Grace is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Germany- but not German =D
Posts: 5,151
• Horses: 2
I would never have that, ever. What if they work her in very deep ground and she twists? What if the lameness is because of something they have done?

No... If they won't buy without then find another buyer. A PPE will be good enough for most people!
DuffyDuck is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,772
• Horses: 0
Nooooooope. That's what a PPE is for. If they want more, they can take rads of every joint she wants to.
I'd never sell with any guarantee. That's asking for trouble.
Posted via Mobile Device
JustDressageIt is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CT USA an English transplant
Posts: 24,609
• Horses: 3
It's generally down to the buyer to get a vet of their choosing to have a PPE done
There are dealers that will sell a horse on a trial basis that you can return (in the same condition as you bought it in) if its 'not what it says on the box' but they usually wont refund your money - you have to take it in the form of another horse
I would be really nervous of allowing a horse of mine to go out under the warranty you're supplying them with because anything could happen to it while they have it and they could return it to you saying it was a pre-existing condition
While its very nice to be trusting it might not be very wise in this case
jaydee is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 13,588
• Horses: 2

Agreed with the others, never guarantee anything used or alive........ especially a Horse.

DimSum likes this.

May all your Trails be happy and safe ones

SouthernTrails is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mid Northern TN
Posts: 2,475
• Horses: 1
Nope. Sell the horse to one of the other 5 people who want her. They can do all the work they want at the PPE, but once she leaves your property, the deal is done. Not only to cover your behind, but what if she contracts strangles or anything else while they have her or cause an injury through poor training or overwork? Would you risk exposing your entire herd to whatever she might have after they take her where ever they plan to?
Sharpie is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 749
• Horses: 0
I would NOT even let them take her off property for the pre purchase. If they want a more in depth pre purchase than a vet can do at your facility, if I were you I would trailer her there personally and meet them. What if they go to lead and she freaks out, and falls underneath the trailer etc. I wouldn't guarantee her sound after the PPE either. Any number of accidents could happen.
BreakableRider is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 09:15 PM
Green Broke
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Surry, Va
Posts: 4,712
• Horses: 0
once the PPE is done its take it or leave it.
Joe4d is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,083
• Horses: 2
I wouldn't do it. But, if you feel you must, I would say that the vet certifying the pre-existing to return must be a vet of YOUR choice. THat way they get the clause, and you have some insurance.
Speed Racer likes this.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Green Broke
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,402
• Horses: 0
My view, similar to others, is the buyers make do with a PPE; further if the horse must travel to the vet you should do the honors to ensure proper trailering and handling. Given that she is untrained, I assume they would start training quite soon after they take possession and at that point it becomes risky as you do not know what the training process will be or what potential it has to cause a physical (or mental) injury to the horse.

If you do decide to allow PPE only and no further guarantee, let them know before they incur costs for the PPE as they may not wish to proceed further under those circumstances - understandable from their part and honourable from your part.

Hope she gets a good home.
Chevaux is offline  

bill of sale , contract , sales , selling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
guarantee due date Smokum Horse Breeding 3 05-01-2013 09:59 AM
I guess a guarantee isn't a guarantee. busysmurf Other Pets 6 01-01-2013 11:09 PM
BO Do you have a Animal abuse clause for boarders? proequine Horse Law 15 10-27-2011 01:03 AM
Romeo Clause and his elf Demelles paintluver Horse Pictures 9 11-25-2010 04:01 PM
Hand Painted & Bling Bronc Halters, Tack, and more. 1yr Guarantee! Champion approved tana Tack and Equipment Classifieds 5 07-22-2009 11:07 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome