Could my horse transition over to hunters? Kinda long? - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation

Could my horse transition over to hunters? Kinda long?

This is a discussion on Could my horse transition over to hunters? Kinda long? within the Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation forums, part of the English Riding category
  • Canter placement pole at 9 ft
  • Horse needs me to sit back really far for hunter

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    07-24-2011, 06:41 PM
  #21
Foal
Ok thank you I will try that!! As far as my half seat, has it improved a little? Do I need to lean more forward!? ( the reason I don't ask my trainer this is because she is an eventer and jumper not really a hunter yet she has done it lol)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    07-26-2011, 08:21 AM
  #22
Foal
I think you can transition. Just practice over about 2'6 or 2'11 verticals while pushing your hands really far forward, so you can encourage your horse to jump rounder. His knees aren't that uneven, but he does jump rather flat. Good luck!
     
    07-27-2011, 11:30 AM
  #23
Foal
Here is my recent schooling video over 2'9 :)

     
    07-28-2011, 09:34 AM
  #24
Trained
Usually when a horse jumps differently every time its because they don't really know how to jump. I would lower the fences until you both get more solid. I like jumping a line with a placement pole [9ft away from the first jump]. Also doing small gymnastics to help him rock back and figure out where to jump from.

Pushing your hands forward will not help your horse to jump round, it will just make him jump with a longer body. A round jump comes from leaving the ground with a nice balanced canter and keeping the same rein contact over the fence [that does not mean don't release]. A jump is really just a big canter stride, so if your canter isnt balanced your jump wont be. At this point I would focus on giving him his head so he doesnt think he's going to get hit in the face.

He's a cute boy, no reason you couldnt do hunters with him.
     
    08-01-2011, 07:36 PM
  #25
Foal
Ok thank you!
     
    08-02-2011, 10:11 AM
  #26
Foal
Heyy I ride with you in jumpers at tristate!! I saw your rounds at both shows and said to myself, he would make a great hunter haha. I say yes!!!!! Eq doesn't matter in hunters too much, as long as your release is generous and your horse is consistent!
     
    08-02-2011, 11:49 AM
  #27
Super Moderator
You are definitely improving. Even though this is not in the critique, you have taken the critiques well. So, I will offer this tidbit.

Although you have improved a lot, you are still sitting back too soon. You need to land more in your two point.

Your horse needs more impulsion, but not speed. If he was more "in front of your leg", he would be more balanced. He is quite heavy on the forehand which makes it difficult for him to shift weight back onto the haunch to thrust up and over the jump. His lack of balance allows him to land too heavy after the jump, causing the crossfire, stiffness....

He looks like a very good hunter prospect to me. His calmness to the jumps is a gift!
     
    08-02-2011, 11:54 AM
  #28
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginaxmarie13    
heyy I ride with you in jumpers at tristate!! I saw your rounds at both shows and said to myself, he would make a great hunter haha. I say yes!!!!! Eq doesn't matter in hunters too much, as long as your release is generous and your horse is consistent!

Hey gina! Small world! And thanks! I think im going to try it next year, the only thing is would be the dreaded over crowded flat classes! And I have no idea what hunter class to enter! I was looking at baby green hunters? What should I do? You seem to know the circuit well! Lol
     
    08-02-2011, 11:57 AM
  #29
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison Finch    
You are definitely improving. Even though this is not in the critique, you have taken the critiques well. So, I will offer this tidbit.

Although you have improved a lot, you are still sitting back too soon. You need to land more in your two point.

Your horse needs more impulsion, but not speed. If he was more "in front of your leg", he would be more balanced. He is quite heavy on the forehand which makes it difficult for him to shift weight back onto the haunch to thrust up and over the jump. His lack of balance allows him to land too heavy after the jump, causing the crossfire, stiffness....

He looks like a very good hunter prospect to me. His calmness to the jumps is a gift!
thank you very much! And yes balance is a MAJOR issue with him. We are trying to make him use his hind so he isnt so heavy on the forehand. And oh gracious no, it takes a nice warmup to get him not to race jumps! Actually in that video my trainer was telling me to sit and hold because he gets fast! And oh yes I have a hard time staying in my two point on landing because he is so heavy on the forehand and I feel bad for leaning forward on him, yet I know I have to fix it! Lol
     
    08-02-2011, 12:01 PM
  #30
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodieluver26    
hey gina! Small world! And thanks! I think im going to try it next year, the only thing is would be the dreaded over crowded flat classes! And I have no idea what hunter class to enter! I was looking at baby green hunters? What should I do? You seem to know the circuit well! Lol
haha yes those flat classes are killer.. I would say try the baby green! I did the childrens hunter o/f and green o/f with pal in the same year and that worked out well too, but if you only want to do one i'd say the baby green. As for those flat classes... I usually stay on the inside of the ring so I don't get blocked in and pal doesn't feel cornered, and it seems to work (and you get noticed!). But he also has a huge trot and goes faster than everyone lol. Does he go long and low if you ask him to??
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School, kinda long but need, HELP! HopalongCassidy General Off Topic Discussion 13 01-29-2011 11:21 AM
Am I overreacting? (kinda long) Puddintat Horse Boarding 28 12-21-2010 01:31 PM
Just a Bit of Excitement (kinda long) rocky pony Horse Talk 5 04-21-2010 03:45 PM
Dilema of my life...Kinda long please help lovehorses007 Horse Training 22 09-16-2009 08:26 PM
Oh boy...did I screw up??[kinda long] draftlover215 Horse Riding 12 05-08-2009 11:33 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0