1. Speed - A lot of the hunters go slow over the fences. My trainer says they don't have a lot of momentum and the riders need more leg. However, I noticed that 99% of the horses were slower moving. And they did very well. I know you're supposed to have an even pace and not go super fast, but what speed should your canter be at?
2. What's more important? I was really confused in my hunter classic class as Rusty jumped all the jumps and I was told he made the correct distances. However, Rusty is unable to do flying leads at this time, so I had to do simple lead changes. We scored a 55. Then a rider went in and her horse refused a jump, but she had her flying leads. She scored higher than us. Why?
3. How are you supposed to take your corners? I know you want to use the whole arena, but my trainer told us to go to the corner for a single diagonal jump and make a sharp angle turn. I didn't see any other riders doing this. What are you supposed to do?
4. What are they judging you on in the first round of a hunter derby? I rode in the class and we didn't make it to the handy round, and my trainer doesn't know much about derbies, so I was wondering what they were looking for.
5. If they waive coats, in the case of a tie, will the person in the equitation class without a coat get less points than the person with the coat?
I think that's all I have for this part of the forum. :) Thanks!