Hunters Discipline - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation

Hunters Discipline

This is a discussion on Hunters Discipline within the Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation forums, part of the English Riding category
  • Hunter discipline
  • Hunting makes you discipline

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-16-2011, 07:15 PM
  #11
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetsAB    
No, there isn't, but hunters and show jumping would both fall under "Jumping".
even on the flat? Okay then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetsAB    
The hunter classes were originally based of what would be expected from a horse in the hunt field. Although it is still based off of this, it does seem to have gotten some of its own traditions along the way.

I am a hunter. :)

Hunter/Jumper can either be someone who doesn't understand the terminology correctly, or be using it to say that they do Hunter Over Fences class. Personally, I hate Hunter/Jumper, because each is its own seperate discipline.



I've never heard of a hunt seat being more forward and heavy in the stirrups. Where did you learn that? (Curiousity sake). Too much more forward then a two point, and you might as well start to be a jockey, as you would start to unbalance the horse.


A lot of upper level show jumpers have a back ground in hunters, as hunters starts out at a w/t or w/t/c level, with caveletti courses (18"), if they started at a young age.
Well that's very cool! Oh, from some girls at the old barn. I'm not gullible but I don't dismiss comments or facts or opinions on something I have no idea about.

I've been looking to start working with Sky on caveletti since it helps a lot with timing and getting those legs up instead of dragging.

How long have you been a Hunter? How did you get into it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullylvr    
Actually, hunt seat equitation and hunters are two different things. Hunters is where the horse is judged on its calmness and the perfection/ consistency of the horse. Hunt seat equitation is all about how the rider handles the horse on the course, how perfect their equitation is and their distances are. Hunters judges horse, eq classes judge rider ;)
Posted via Mobile Device
Like maura said.. right? One focuses more on the horse and how skilled it is. Then the other focuses on the rider and the compatibility with the selected horse.

Or am I confused again..
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-16-2011, 07:27 PM
  #12
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
even on the flat? Okay then.

How long have you been a Hunter? How did you get into it?
Sorry, I should have said "hunter over fences and show jumping", since they are both over fences. I have never seen a "jumper" flat class.

I've been showing for 2 years in hunterland, and lessoning at the same barn for the past 5 years or so.

I got into it because I needed to start somewhere. Hunters start at a lower fence height, which everyone should master first, before moving onto bigger jumps. At this time, I doubt I would leave the hunter ring, other then small forays into the jumpers for fun.
     
    12-16-2011, 07:36 PM
  #13
Foal
Skyseternalangel: Thanks for the vote of confidence. :). I know that I can do it, but that it will take some time for me to actually start it and start understanding the mechanics of it. I don't have any dead obvious issues with my flatwork, but after my last fall, which was 2 strides after the jump, I still have some nerves when I approach a jump. :/
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-16-2011, 07:47 PM
  #14
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedDraftRider    
Skyseternalangel: Thanks for the vote of confidence. :). I know that I can do it, but that it will take some time for me to actually start it and start understanding the mechanics of it. I don't have any dead obvious issues with my flatwork, but after my last fall, which was 2 strides after the jump, I still have some nerves when I approach a jump. :/
Posted via Mobile Device
Very true, flatwork is one fish, jumping is another. Well I hope you gain your confidence back =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetsAB    
Sorry, I should have said "hunter over fences and show jumping", since they are both over fences. I have never seen a "jumper" flat class.

I've been showing for 2 years in hunterland, and lessoning at the same barn for the past 5 years or so.

I got into it because I needed to start somewhere. Hunters start at a lower fence height, which everyone should master first, before moving onto bigger jumps. At this time, I doubt I would leave the hunter ring, other then small forays into the jumpers for fun.
Well that's cool! Uhh, I was referring to flat hunters via this vid:


But as maura said, I think that's actually hunt equitation. So would it still go under jumping?

I'm still on the fence if I should jump Sky. It'd be good for him, a huge confidence booster.. but not doing that till we have basic w/t/c and lateral work done.

EDIT: just noticed the title of the vid.. but at least I guessed right xD
     
    12-16-2011, 08:35 PM
  #15
Banned
The video you posted is neither fish nor fowl. That is a QH breed show; the giveaway is the horse's headset, the big false tail and the horse's very slow jog. QH hunt seat doesn't really look like USEF or any other hunt seat, because it's about meeting the breed standard first, and hunt seat second. More about that later.

The vid title says equitation, so it does mean the rider is being judged.

To make this more confusing:

Traditional hunters and USEF hunters have *one* class on the flat per division; usualy 2 -3 classes over fences, one class on the flat. Most show organizations have rules that you must show in at least one class over fences to be allowed to show on the flat. Usually the flat class, or hack, is held after the over fences portion, and frequently only the competitors at the top of the class show in the hack as it can decide placings in the division. In a division of 25 horses, you might only have 10 elect to the show on the flat.

Breed shows usually have entire flat divisions, as do some schooling shows, wihich is why you'll hear Hunter/Jumper more often in those venues. In USEF and USHJA hunters, you *have* to show over fences to show, so the Hunter/Jumper designatioin doesn't make much sense.

There are some lovely QH hunters, but usually the focus in QH shows is the Western and performance divisions; with horses crossing over to the English divisions to gain points. So QH hunters often look a lot more like Western Pleasure horses in English tack than USEF or USHJA hunters.

The vid of the hunter derby posted above is an excellent representation of the discipline.
     
    12-16-2011, 08:37 PM
  #16
Yearling
I used to show in Hunters as a teen (a looooong long time ago :) I felt safe because the jumps were lower, and I loved the equitation shows. I had a lot of fun with it!
     
    12-16-2011, 08:44 PM
  #17
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by maura    
The video you posted is neither fish nor fowl. That is a QH breed show; the giveaway is the horse's headset, the big false tail and the horse's very slow jog. QH hunt seat doesn't really look like USEF or any other hunt seat, because it's about meeting the breed standard first, and hunt seat second. More about that later.

The vid title says equitation, so it does mean the rider is being judged.

To make this more confusing:

Traditional hunters and USEF hunters have *one* class on the flat per division; usualy 2 -3 classes over fences, one class on the flat. Most show organizations have rules that you must show in at least one class over fences to be allowed to show on the flat. Usually the flat class, or hack, is held after the over fences portion, and frequently only the competitors at the top of the class show in the hack as it can decide placings in the division. In a division of 25 horses, you might only have 10 elect to the show on the flat.

Breed shows usually have entire flat divisions, as do some schooling shows, wihich is why you'll hear Hunter/Jumper more often in those venues. In USEF and USHJA hunters, you *have* to show over fences to show, so the Hunter/Jumper designatioin doesn't make much sense.

There are some lovely QH hunters, but usually the focus in QH shows is the Western and performance divisions; with horses crossing over to the English divisions to gain points. So QH hunters often look a lot more like Western Pleasure horses in English tack than USEF or USHJA hunters.

The vid of the hunter derby posted above is an excellent representation of the discipline.
Okay! That makes sense. I did notice the horse was rather long and low kind of like a western rider, makes sense that it was a breeding show. I didn't even notice the false tail :P

So what you're saying is, in SOME divisions, there is a flat portion, but it's usually at the end and only the top competitors get to that class? And that's decided by how they do over the hunt fences?

Alright, that makes sense.

Thanks for putting up with my questions maura :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by With Grace    
I used to show in Hunters as a teen (a looooong long time ago :) I felt safe because the jumps were lower, and I loved the equitation shows. I had a lot of fun with it!
Yeah it seems like a lot of fun! Especially for a newbie like myself to showing. A little less intense than a full blown dressage test as my first show.

What do they look for in the hunt equitation portion? And the hunt portion?
     
    12-17-2011, 06:53 AM
  #18
Foal
Just to add to the confusion (lol) in Britain, hunter on flat is called ridden hunter and hunter over jumps is working hunter.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-17-2011, 09:01 AM
  #19
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
Okay! That makes sense. I did notice the horse was rather long and low kind of like a western rider, makes sense that it was a breeding show. I didn't even notice the false tail :P

So what you're saying is, in SOME divisions, there is a flat portion, but it's usually at the end and only the top competitors get to that class? And that's decided by how they do over the hunt fences?

Alright, that makes sense.

Thanks for putting up with my questions maura :)



Yeah it seems like a lot of fun! Especially for a newbie like myself to showing. A little less intense than a full blown dressage test as my first show.

What do they look for in the hunt equitation portion? And the hunt portion?


Where I am, usually the judge runs the flat class with everyone. It's up to the judge if they want to call back specific horses or the whole class. In my experience they usually call back the whole class. However, I have had judges that only call back the top 10 or so.

Here is a better representation of a hunter on the flat:
Equitation is judged on the rider; how they handle themselves and how well they ride. Rider's can be asked to do a number of test on the flat, including dropping their stirrups, sitting trot, hand gallop, figure-8 with a lead change. However they often don't ask for any of it.
Here's a video of a equation flat class: The jumping portion isn't as stream-lined as a hunter course, which typically has straight lines. They can ask for bending lines and rollbacks and there often combinations. They can also ask for a trot fence and can ask you to jump a walk fence. And of course they can ask you to hand gallop a fence or halt after a fence.
Skyseternalangel likes this.
     
    12-17-2011, 10:34 AM
  #20
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingWithSunny    
Just to add to the confusion (lol) in Britain, hunter on flat is called ridden hunter and hunter over jumps is working hunter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ahaha oh no! More stuff to keep in mind :P Thank you!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermane    
Where I am, usually the judge runs the flat class with everyone. It's up to the judge if they want to call back specific horses or the whole class. In my experience they usually call back the whole class. However, I have had judges that only call back the top 10 or so.

Equitation is judged on the rider; how they handle themselves and how well they ride. Rider's can be asked to do a number of test on the flat, including dropping their stirrups, sitting trot, hand gallop, figure-8 with a lead change. However they often don't ask for any of it.

See I never would have known this about Hunters.. I love how it's very dependent on what the judge asks, and you can do a number of things.. it really tests how well you ride on your horse! Falling even more in love with this discipline :)
So how is this discipline scored?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermane    

The jumping portion isn't as stream-lined as a hunter course, which typically has straight lines. They can ask for bending lines and rollbacks and there often combinations. They can also ask for a trot fence and can ask you to jump a walk fence. And of course they can ask you to hand gallop a fence or halt after a fence.
Wow.. that is really cool. And so is the jump portion equitation or hunt? Or does it change depending on the class you're in?

Thanks for bearing with me guys!
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Let's see all your hunters and jumpers!! ShadowSpazzz Horse Contests 9 09-02-2010 02:19 PM
2 Deer Hunters RegalCharm Jokes and Funnies 5 03-19-2010 12:27 AM
All you hunters out there!!! Hoofprints in the Sand English Riding 29 04-17-2009 10:19 AM
why jumpers don't do hunters. Gangsta Horse Shows 1 07-24-2008 05:42 PM
Hunters Cheval Jumping 9 03-24-2008 12:05 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0