Hunters Discipline - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation

Hunters Discipline

This is a discussion on Hunters Discipline within the Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation forums, part of the English Riding category

    Like Tree1Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        12-17-2011, 09:43 AM
      #21
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    Wow.. that is really cool. And so is the jump portion equitation or hunt? Or does it change depending on the class you're in?

    Thanks for bearing with me guys!
    Both regular hunters and equitation classes have a jump portion and a flat portion. They're entirely different classes at the same show. Really the key thing is regular hunter classes are based on the horse's "brilliance"; how the horse goes around, their disposition, and jump stye while equitation classes are based on the rider's position and how well they are able to navigate the horse around a course.

    At very low levels, equitation classes are typically they exact same types of courses as hunter courses, but based on the rider instead of the horse.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        12-17-2011, 09:52 AM
      #22
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Supermane    
    Both regular hunters and equitation classes have a jump portion and a flat portion. They're entirely different classes at the same show.

    At very low levels, equitation classes are typically they exact same types of courses as hunter courses, but based on the rider instead of the horse.
    Alright! That makes sense! I'm definitely going to try to get into this!

    Thanks so much everyone :)
         
        12-17-2011, 10:20 AM
      #23
    Banned
    Supermane,

    I was referring to hunter divisions; for instance, in a junior hunter divisioin, there are usually 3 classes over fences and one on the flat. A lot of exhibitors chose not to ride in the hack unless they've placed over fences, so the flat class can be smaller than the overfences.

    OP,

    Supermane's info is exactly right about equitation classes - for the big ones, there's a fences portion, and then part of the class is called back to work on the flat. Then the top competitors are asked to perform a test, and sometime the top competitors are asked to switch horses and ride a shortened course.
         
        12-17-2011, 10:23 AM
      #24
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maura    
    Supermane,

    I was referring to hunter divisions; for instance, in a junior hunter divisioin, there are usually 3 classes over fences and one on the flat. A lot of exhibitors chose not to ride in the hack unless they've placed over fences, so the flat class can be smaller than the overfences.
    Ah, okay. I misinterpreted your meaning.
         
        12-17-2011, 10:49 AM
      #25
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maura    
    OP,

    Supermane's info is exactly right about equitation classes - for the big ones, there's a fences portion, and then part of the class is called back to work on the flat. Then the top competitors are asked to perform a test, and sometime the top competitors are asked to switch horses and ride a shortened course.
    They switch horses?? That is so cool, I guess it further tests their riding abilities. Wow, the more I hear about this, the more I want to try it! It'd be so good for my horse :)
         
        12-17-2011, 01:37 PM
      #26
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
    They switch horses?? That is so cool, I guess it further tests their riding abilities. Wow, the more I hear about this, the more I want to try it! It'd be so good for my horse :)
    I wouldn't say this is a common test, but yes they can ask you to switch horses (I can only imagine this happening at equation finals). This is probably one of the hardest test because you really don't know anything about the horse you're riding

    And, as expensive as many of the horses are, I can imagine many people being worried about their horse being ridden by someone that they don't know...
         
        12-17-2011, 01:57 PM
      #27
    Banned
    It's a common test in the Medal and the Maclay classes, not just the finals.
    Also in Pony Medal and Adult Eq, at least in my area. It's also used in the Eq classes on my local circuit, which is run in accordance with the USEF rules except for the height of the fences. Changing horses is actually one of the 19 tests judges may chose from when the top competitors are called back in for a work off.

    I think it's standard at the finals that changing horses (which counts as two tests, not one) is used, but perhaps at the judge's discretion for other classes.
         
        12-17-2011, 03:02 PM
      #28
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maura    
    It's a common test in the Medal and the Maclay classes, not just the finals.
    Also in Pony Medal and Adult Eq, at least in my area. It's also used in the Eq classes on my local circuit, which is run in accordance with the USEF rules except for the height of the fences. Changing horses is actually one of the 19 tests judges may chose from when the top competitors are called back in for a work off.

    I think it's standard at the finals that changing horses (which counts as two tests, not one) is used, but perhaps at the judge's discretion for other classes.
    I actually didn't know that. I'm not an equation rider so I've never really paid attention. I knew that it was one of the test that they could ask, but I've never personally heard or seen this happen. I have a pretty broad understanding of equation, since most of the high levels are junior divisions and I never had the horses, resources, or dedication to seriously compete at that level as a junior.

    I have done adult equation a few times, but have never been asked to switch horses. I would ask if this was a regional thing, but with you being in Virginia I could just be plain wrong, in which case I'm glad you corrected me.
         
        12-17-2011, 03:44 PM
      #29
    Foal
    I compete in HOF and equitation along with the flats that correspond to each. I am particularly fond of equitation though, and it definitely my forte. As for the forum if it's over fences just post it on the jumping forum. I'm not sure where to post for flats though.
         
        12-17-2011, 04:57 PM
      #30
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Supermane    
    I wouldn't say this is a common test, but yes they can ask you to switch horses (I can only imagine this happening at equation finals). This is probably one of the hardest test because you really don't know anything about the horse you're riding

    And, as expensive as many of the horses are, I can imagine many people being worried about their horse being ridden by someone that they don't know...
    I am quite the opposite! I really want Sky to feel safe and secure with anyone on his back, whether it be someone who knows what they're doing and can fry eggs at the same time, or it's someone completely new.

    I could see how it'd be the hardest test.. almost like when you go out and try a new horse for purchase :P At least you can glance around and see how they're doing.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maura    
    It's a common test in the Medal and the Maclay classes, not just the finals.
    Also in Pony Medal and Adult Eq, at least in my area. It's also used in the Eq classes on my local circuit, which is run in accordance with the USEF rules except for the height of the fences. Changing horses is actually one of the 19 tests judges may chose from when the top competitors are called back in for a work off.

    I think it's standard at the finals that changing horses (which counts as two tests, not one) is used, but perhaps at the judge's discretion for other classes.
    Medal and Maclay classes? What does that mean?


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbhj    
    I compete in HOF and equitation along with the flats that correspond to each. I am particularly fond of equitation though, and it definitely my forte. As for the forum if it's over fences just post it on the jumping forum. I'm not sure where to post for flats though.
    They should make a Hunters section of the forum ;) ;) lol
    Lucky you though.. I really want to start! After I get my dressage done though. It'd be a nice challenge for Sky.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Let's see all your hunters and jumpers!! ShadowSpazzz Horse Contests 9 09-02-2010 01:19 PM
    2 Deer Hunters RegalCharm Jokes and Funnies 5 03-18-2010 11:27 PM
    All you hunters out there!!! Hoofprints in the Sand English Riding 29 04-17-2009 09:19 AM
    why jumpers don't do hunters. Gangsta Horse Shows 1 07-24-2008 04:42 PM
    Hunters Cheval Jumping 9 03-23-2008 11:05 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:32 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0