New to Hunter stuff. NEED HELP - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation

New to Hunter stuff. NEED HELP

This is a discussion on New to Hunter stuff. NEED HELP within the Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation forums, part of the English Riding category
  • Do leads matter that much in low level equitation flat class
  • How to show your horse low level flat

Like Tree3Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-06-2013, 11:35 PM
  #21
Green Broke
Like local shows or schooling shows. Equitation classes are flat classes with a patteren. That sounds like a good show to go for!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-07-2013, 12:15 AM
  #22
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald    
Like local shows or schooling shows. Equitation classes are flat classes with a patteren. That sounds like a good show to go for!
Ok cool!! Thanks!!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-07-2013, 11:30 PM
  #23
Green Broke
A few answers and comments...

Shows are classified into different categories, technically the distinction is the amount of prize money given. To be classified as an "A" show you have to give out a certain amount and to be an "AA" show you have to give even more (and these are governed by USEF). Then there are "C" shows which are local level or "schooling" shows. Schooling shows are much smaller, much more casual, and an excellent place to learn the ropes and/or bring green horses. They may be more forgiving of mistakes, the competition is usually not horribly competitive, it's often ok not to braid or wear tall boots as opposed to half chaps. Things like that. At A shows many of the riders are from out of state, the competition can be challenging, and you really will stick out if you aren't braided and dressed traditionally.

My first suggestion is what other people have said, find a good trainer! Second, would be to start off at a schooling show. Your horse is pretty cute! I also agree that she could do well at lower level hunter classes. What is meant by that is a class that's not very high (therefore not super competitive) at a show that is not super competitive. To show in the 3" divisions at A shows your horse MUST have a lead change and the courses will be set on at least a 12 ft stride. She must be a very good mover. And while your horse is really quite cute she isn't quite up to par with some of the fancier warmbloods you see in the upper level classes these days. Some local circuits are pretty challenging even if they aren't A rated. Our local circuit offers about 10 shows a year and a lot of those horses go to a few of the A shows around here so it's not easy. It's a well run circuit with top notch judges (well, most of the time!) even though it's casual enough that we don't braid manes!

The main difference between hunters and jumpers is what they're being judged on. Do a search on here, the topic has been covered a bazillion times but what people have said is right, hunters need to be quiet, consistent, get every distance correctly, jump round, move with a long flat kneed stride, etc. The highest they are offered is actually about 4" in the Regular Working Hunter division, but I recently saw a 4"3 performance hunter division. Your horse moves decently and has a cute jump. Cute expression overall. At our local shows she must have a lead change to be in the ribbons. Other circuits allow for a simple change. That's the beauty of the schooling show.

Equitation is actually a type of class that is not based on the horse at all, but based on the rider. They are usually flat classes AND jumping classes. They will be judged not only on your position but how well you can navigate the course and how well you ride on the flat.

The Texas Rose Horse Park is an EXCELLENT and beautiful venue I love going to! The prizelist looks like it offers some great classes to get your feet wet.

Hope that helps a bit!
     
    03-07-2013, 11:40 PM
  #24
Green Broke
I just looked at the prizelist again. I know a few people involved! Including one of the judges, I'm going to assume is the Ring 1 judge. He is very very knowledgeable and trains some really stellar riders/horses. He travels the A/AA circuit and does a super job. I'd be surprised if he doesn't penalize not having a lead change. I have a feeling this circuit is probably decently competitive on the line of schooling shows. I'd start off smaller, like the 2"3 or 2"6 hunters. But If I were you I'd also enter the derby for fun. :) Your horse shouldn't have any issues with the higher option fences and looks like could have a very nice handy round if you get called back. OR just start off in the jumpers were silly things like lead changes don't matter. ;) BUT, if you do make sure you know what Table II Sec C and B mean. They're clarifications on how to do the jump off (Power and Speed or Timed first Jump off). I wrote it all out on another post a while back, do a search! If you can't find it let me know and I'll type it all out again. Hope that helps!
     
    03-08-2013, 12:30 AM
  #25
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnover    
A few answers and comments...

Shows are classified into different categories, technically the distinction is the amount of prize money given. To be classified as an "A" show you have to give out a certain amount and to be an "AA" show you have to give even more (and these are governed by USEF). Then there are "C" shows which are local level or "schooling" shows. Schooling shows are much smaller, much more casual, and an excellent place to learn the ropes and/or bring green horses. They may be more forgiving of mistakes, the competition is usually not horribly competitive, it's often ok not to braid or wear tall boots as opposed to half chaps. Things like that. At A shows many of the riders are from out of state, the competition can be challenging, and you really will stick out if you aren't braided and dressed traditionally.

My first suggestion is what other people have said, find a good trainer! Second, would be to start off at a schooling show. Your horse is pretty cute! I also agree that she could do well at lower level hunter classes. What is meant by that is a class that's not very high (therefore not super competitive) at a show that is not super competitive. To show in the 3" divisions at A shows your horse MUST have a lead change and the courses will be set on at least a 12 ft stride. She must be a very good mover. And while your horse is really quite cute she isn't quite up to par with some of the fancier warmbloods you see in the upper level classes these days. Some local circuits are pretty challenging even if they aren't A rated. Our local circuit offers about 10 shows a year and a lot of those horses go to a few of the A shows around here so it's not easy. It's a well run circuit with top notch judges (well, most of the time!) even though it's casual enough that we don't braid manes!

The main difference between hunters and jumpers is what they're being judged on. Do a search on here, the topic has been covered a bazillion times but what people have said is right, hunters need to be quiet, consistent, get every distance correctly, jump round, move with a long flat kneed stride, etc. The highest they are offered is actually about 4" in the Regular Working Hunter division, but I recently saw a 4"3 performance hunter division. Your horse moves decently and has a cute jump. Cute expression overall. At our local shows she must have a lead change to be in the ribbons. Other circuits allow for a simple change. That's the beauty of the schooling show.

Equitation is actually a type of class that is not based on the horse at all, but based on the rider. They are usually flat classes AND jumping classes. They will be judged not only on your position but how well you can navigate the course and how well you ride on the flat.

The Texas Rose Horse Park is an EXCELLENT and beautiful venue I love going to! The prizelist looks like it offers some great classes to get your feet wet.

Hope that helps a bit!
Thank you for what you said about my horse and for helping with absolutely EVERYTHING haha and....
Oh my goodness!! You've been there?!? What was it like (if you can remember)???
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-08-2013, 01:11 AM
  #26
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningJumpingHorses    
Thank you for what you said about my horse and for helping with absolutely EVERYTHING haha and....
Oh my goodness!! You've been there?!? What was it like (if you can remember)???
Posted via Mobile Device

You're very welcome! And like I said, let me know if you have any other questions!

The horse park is BEAUTIFUL. It's just a super facility with great footing, I love showing there! It's in a pretty part of TX, rolling hills, lots of trees, curvy country roads, etc and then out in the middle of no where is, BAM this HUUUUUUGE horse park! The barns are ok, lots of wash racks where I've stayed. I"ve only done the rated shows there and there were many many many rings (not sure which ones they'd use for a schooling show though) and then those are surrounded by huge cross country courses! The place is huge and very very open. There's a nicely sized indoor right in the middle of the showgrounds that they didn't really use for the show (used it for a clinic I rode in) Pretty judges stands with split wood fencing, just a really attractive place to ride. I hope you get to go! Even if you don't end up showing your horse at this one you should at least check out a show and see what they're all about and waht to expect.
     
    03-08-2013, 09:10 AM
  #27
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnover    
You're very welcome! And like I said, let me know if you have any other questions!

The horse park is BEAUTIFUL. It's just a super facility with great footing, I love showing there! It's in a pretty part of TX, rolling hills, lots of trees, curvy country roads, etc and then out in the middle of no where is, BAM this HUUUUUUGE horse park! The barns are ok, lots of wash racks where I've stayed. I"ve only done the rated shows there and there were many many many rings (not sure which ones they'd use for a schooling show though) and then those are surrounded by huge cross country courses! The place is huge and very very open. There's a nicely sized indoor right in the middle of the showgrounds that they didn't really use for the show (used it for a clinic I rode in) Pretty judges stands with split wood fencing, just a really attractive place to ride. I hope you get to go! Even if you don't end up showing your horse at this one you should at least check out a show and see what they're all about and waht to expect.
The place sounds gorgeous!!! So excited! Haha
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hunter/Jumper, Dressage, Clothing, and Horseware- new low prices. High end stuff! vxf111 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 07-18-2011 10:53 AM
Anyone selling anything zebra,red,hunter green, white, or black stuff? (ANYTHING( LindseyHunterx24 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 2 11-18-2010 01:33 AM
Horse stuff for sale!! Take a look i am moving and this stuff needs to go!!! shermanismybaby3006 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 9 09-18-2009 12:17 AM
Saddle and Tack For Sale/Trade + wanted stuff *more stuff* Chicalove Tack and Equipment Classifieds 2 09-14-2009 11:36 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0