Personality for Hunters
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation

Personality for Hunters

This is a discussion on Personality for Hunters within the Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation forums, part of the English Riding category
  • Hunter personality type
  • Triats of a hunter

Like Tree5Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-15-2012, 08:26 PM
  #1
Weanling
Question Personality for Hunters

In a conversation my instructor told me that Dancer didn't really have the stuff for hunters, physically or mentally. When I asked her what she meant she didn't really explain. She just said that there is QH hunters and regular hunters with QH hunters basically being western pleasure horses with an english saddle.

Can someone elaborate for me the difference between QH hunters and regular hunters? Also, what is needed out of the horse for each?

(BTW, my instructor thinks Dancer is good for western dressage)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-17-2012, 06:43 PM
  #2
Weanling
Typically a hunter should be quiet, steady, consistent, Good minded, and look like they are pleased with the job they do just like a western pleasure horse. But in regular hunter divisions, a horse should have a nice form going over jumps and moving around the arena. But as far as a difference between QH hunter divisions and regular hunter divisions, I really have no clue what the difference is and what they look for in the QH circuit .
     
    12-01-2012, 10:52 PM
  #3
Foal
Do you do western pleasure? I don't know precisely what they judge for in AQHA huntseat stuff, but I do know I hate seeing a horse go from western tack in WP to english tack in hunters. A traditional english hunter horse showing against QH type hunters in an open show will never win, in my experience.
     
    12-01-2012, 11:02 PM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by belong2    
Do you do western pleasure? I don't know precisely what they judge for in AQHA huntseat stuff, but I do know I hate seeing a horse go from western tack in WP to english tack in hunters. A traditional english hunter horse showing against QH type hunters in an open show will never win, in my experience.

Dancer doesn't show in anything. Not yet, anyway. He doesn't move like a western pleasure horse. I had to work really hard to get him to jog. My instructor really wants us to do western dressage since she thinks he'll be good at it. (I don't have a dressage saddle so that's why I don't do that.) Also when he canters its not slow like a western pleasure lope.
     
    12-02-2012, 12:49 AM
  #5
Started
Do you have any videos of him moving? That would help us figure out what he might be best suited for. :)
Lexiie likes this.
     
    12-02-2012, 01:14 AM
  #6
Weanling
Nope, but when I get a chance I'll try to take some
     
    12-25-2012, 08:51 PM
  #7
Foal
She was kindly implying your horse is too much of a hothead or she doesn't have the skill to train your horse. Stereotypical AQHA hunters are deadheads. If the horse isn't fairly large or have a big floating trot stride you can't be competitive in the breed shows it's just the sad reality.
     
    12-25-2012, 10:31 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by PintoJumper    
She was kindly implying your horse is too much of a hothead or she doesn't have the skill to train your horse. Stereotypical AQHA hunters are deadheads. If the horse isn't fairly large or have a big floating trot stride you can't be competitive in the breed shows it's just the sad reality.

Ahh...that makes complete sense. I don't doubt for any second that my instructor couldn't train him but Dancer is definitely not a deadhead. He definitely has spunk and can be reactive. He digs dressage, though.
     
    01-02-2013, 11:42 PM
  #9
Foal
Personally, QHs excel in anything with proper training. As PintoJumper mentioned, your coach probably doesn't have the skill to train your horse to the level you want it to be trained at which is 100% true. I had a coach like this, who didn't want to help me with my QH that I previously owned for hunters. He now shows Trillium A's with a local barn not too far from me. As long as your horse is along the lines of what SaddleStrings mentioned, you would be just fine in the hunters. In the US they actually show a lot of English at the AQHA shows and there are infact champion Hunter QHs. Hope this helped:) Just remember, one coach's opinion may differ from another, and things do turn around.
     
    01-03-2013, 01:41 AM
  #10
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntermare2    
Personally, QHs excel in anything with proper training. As PintoJumper mentioned, your coach probably doesn't have the skill to train your horse to the level you want it to be trained at which is 100% true. I had a coach like this, who didn't want to help me with my QH that I previously owned for hunters. He now shows Trillium A's with a local barn not too far from me. As long as your horse is along the lines of what SaddleStrings mentioned, you would be just fine in the hunters. In the US they actually show a lot of English at the AQHA shows and there are infact champion Hunter QHs. Hope this helped:) Just remember, one coach's opinion may differ from another, and things do turn around.

It's also possible her horse doesn't have the personality or movement to really excel at hunters. You can train them to enhance movement, but if they don't have the initial personality and way of going you can only do so much. AQHA hunters have large, flowy and quiet gaits. They are born with that quiet demeanor like a WP horse is and naturally want to travel that way. Of course there are exceptions, but usually they are bred specifically for AQHA HUS.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horsey personality changes? furbabymum Horse Talk 11 03-22-2012 11:02 AM
Your horse's personality? Wallaby Horse Talk 16 12-02-2009 04:39 PM
Denny's Personality.. to a T. JustDressageIt Horse Pictures 14 03-01-2009 03:24 PM
Is it is personality? laceyf53 Horse Training 9 11-15-2007 09:39 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0