Best Cheap Fun
Originally posted in a edition of Readers Digest by Mary Roach.
The price of a movie has gone double digit. You need a major-league contract to afford an afternoon at the ballpark. Has fun priced itself out of our lives? Not at all.
1. Photo Booths
While you wait for your strip to be developed in one of those photo booths you find and malls and fairs, reach up and feel around the top of the booth. People often toss their embarrassing outtakes up there.
2. Bubble Wrap
This ones pretty self explanatory, just ask someone who's played with it.
3. Your Cat
Blow into his face. Stick your finger in his mouth as he yawns. Put him on a leash and try to take him for a walk.
4. The Sight of a Dog Wearing One of those Medical Lampshades on its Head
For immediate gratification, do a Google image search for "Elizabethan collar," which is what veterinarians call it.
5. Wave at People While You Drive
Also self explanatory.
6. Helium Balloons
Suck in some of the helium and either talk or sing. Don't suck in too much though.
7. The Weekly Police Roundup in any Small Town Newspaper
8. Bumper Cars
9. The Commuter Ferry on a Blustery Day
Go on a bad weather day and have it to yourself.
10. Order a Dish off the Chinese Side of the Menu
11. Attempt to Sneak a Bottle of Water onto the Plane
You may end up in jail after this one. So do at own risk and don't say that I didn't try to warn you.
12. Any Toenail Polish Color Besides Red
14. Type "yink" into Your Spell Checker and Read the Suggestions Out Loud
15. Those 25-cent Horse Rides Outside the Wal-Mart
16. Root for the Red Sox in Yankee Stadium
17. Request a Phony Page on the White Courtesy Telephone
18. Did you know there's a brand name of dishwashing detergent in Iran called Barf? Or that Japan sells a sports drink called Pocari Sweat?
19. Supermarkets in foreign countries.
20. Launch a Message in a Bottle with Your Email Address
For maximum exoticism of response, remember to do ti when the tide is going out, not coming in.
21. Lie Down in a Cow Pasture
If the herd is far off, yell to get their attention, then immediately drop down and lie flat. The entire herd will come galloping over and form a tight circle around you staring at you with intense bovine curiosity.
22. Late Night Infomercials
23. Armpit Farts
Here's a variation that will make you feel less childish(but fools no one). It will work best in humid weather. Lie down on a wood floor, pull up your shirt and press your slightly damp lower back into the floor as firmly as you can. Then pull away quickly. This is also a good lower-back strengthening exercise, but who cares.
"And somewhere in the northwoods darkness a creature walks upright. And the best advice you may ever get is: Don't go out at night..."
Last edited by tempest; 03-09-2009 at 05:22 PM.