Any tips for first time jumper
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Jumping

Any tips for first time jumper

This is a discussion on Any tips for first time jumper within the Jumping forums, part of the English Riding category
  • Best white jumper breeches
  • Tips for jumping a horse for the first time

Like Tree4Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-05-2010, 11:03 PM
  #1
Weanling
Any tips for first time jumper

Any tips to remember when riding my first jumper course?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-06-2010, 02:40 PM
  #2
Green Broke
Welcome back Trissicar!

If I remember correctly you do mainly hunters, right?

At the lower levels it's really not too different from jumping an intricate eq course. Although I ride my jumpers a little differently then I ride my hunters. I get them more on their haunch (less long and low) and ride them right up to the base of the jump so they can power over.

When it comes to remembering courses the main difference is that you shouldn't try to remember by saying, outside, diagonal, outside etc like you would a hunter round. You need to start memorizing each jump by the number. That's jump one, that's jump two, etc. when the jump off comes around then you can just remember, it's jump 4, 2, 5, 3, 1. You'll also need to remember how many strides are in between each jump. Always walk your course so you know how each jump will ride, and that helps me remember the course. I know several people who bring notebooks with them on the course walk so they can write everything down.

DON'T worry about speed when you first start! My absolute biggest pet peeve are those maniacs to just run around as fast as they can. Believe me, when the jumps get bigger it will bite them in the butt. You get speed from making tighter turns, jumping at an angle, etc. So on the flat you want to get your horse as rideable as possible. Flatwork, flatwork, flatwork!
     
    04-06-2010, 02:49 PM
  #3
Showing
Excellent advice, upnover!
I recommend watching as many riders as you can while waiting for your turn; you can see what they do and monitor tough spots.
     
    04-06-2010, 06:34 PM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDressageIt    
Excellent advice, upnover!
I recommend watching as many riders as you can while waiting for your turn; you can see what they do and monitor tough spots.
I find watching really good riders is good for me. Cause I'm a very visual learner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnover    
Welcome back Trissicar!

If I remember correctly you do mainly hunters, right?

At the lower levels it's really not too different from jumping an intricate eq course. Although I ride my jumpers a little differently then I ride my hunters. I get them more on their haunch (less long and low) and ride them right up to the base of the jump so they can power over.

When it comes to remembering courses the main difference is that you shouldn't try to remember by saying, outside, diagonal, outside etc like you would a hunter round. You need to start memorizing each jump by the number. That's jump one, that's jump two, etc. when the jump off comes around then you can just remember, it's jump 4, 2, 5, 3, 1. You'll also need to remember how many strides are in between each jump. Always walk your course so you know how each jump will ride, and that helps me remember the course. I know several people who bring notebooks with them on the course walk so they can write everything down.

DON'T worry about speed when you first start! My absolute biggest pet peeve are those maniacs to just run around as fast as they can. Believe me, when the jumps get bigger it will bite them in the butt. You get speed from making tighter turns, jumping at an angle, etc. So on the flat you want to get your horse as rideable as possible. Flatwork, flatwork, flatwork!
Yeah I'm not so much worried about that because that's a big part of our training already. She can do shoulder in & out, leg yields,halfpass,haunches in, and such. So she gets a pretty good work out right now were working on collecting and lengthening. So yeah making her rideable and adjustable.I'm not really nervous I'm just thinking like idk what things I should do like should wear like since most of the people around me wear polo shirts for jumpers. And like what tips for remembering the courses. Which you covered. First and foremost I just want it to be a positive experience for my horse this wiill be her first time showing in jumpers too. She loves it.
And be4 anyone asks yes I can ask my trainer but she is very busy and I want different opinions.
     
    04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
  #5
Showing
Jumpers seem to be fairly relaxed about attire. Some people wear white breeches, shirt with rat-catcher, and jacket:







Some wear just a show shirt:


Others wear tidy, clean breeches, and a nice polo shirt:




As for equine attire -- check the rulebook for any regulations. Usually you're allowed front and hind boots, a colored pad, martingale and/or breastplate, spurs, and a whip (regulation size.)
     
    04-06-2010, 07:33 PM
  #6
Weanling
Thanx JDI! Good examples.
I've been told your not supposed to wear white breeches unless you've been in a grand prix. Otherwise I'd totally wear them (I'm suicidal like that "oh noes horse dirt!").
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/f.../May180782.jpg
Looks like someone I know I'm pretty sure its not him though.
Thanx again!
     
    04-06-2010, 08:45 PM
  #7
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trissacar    
Thanx JDI! Good examples.
I've been told your not supposed to wear white breeches unless you've been in a grand prix.

Actually white breeches are required in any jumper class where "Formal Attire" is requested, like a Classic (or a grand prix). That's where you see most of those riders above wearing the white show shirt, dark coat, and white breeches.

**You should NOT wear them in classes that are not formal! It would be like wearing a ballgown to a local bingo hall.
     
    04-06-2010, 08:46 PM
  #8
Green Broke
According to the USEF rulebook.....

Informal Attire:

• Stick (Longer whip acceptable, up to 30”)
• Gloves
• Black, approved hard hat (see USEF GR 318)
• Hair up under hat in hairnet
• Ratcatcher and coat unless coats are waived by show committee, in that case, a polo or turtle neck is appropriate (a shirt with a collar and sleeves is required)
• Breeches: Beige, Lt. Gray, Rust, Dk. Gray, French Blue, Sage/Olive,
• Belt
• Tall Boots: Black or Dark Brown
• Spurs
• Gloves


Jumpers Formal - Classics and Grand Prix

• Black approved hard hat (see USEF GR 318)
• Hair up under hat with hairnet
• White Ratcatcher or (White shirt and tie for men)
• Dark coat or Scarlet if representing U.S. Or Rec. Hunt
• White Breeches
• Black Boots
• Black Gloves
• Spurs/whips up to 30”



A lot of it will depend on what show you're going to. A lot of the A shows around here can be more casual and it's not uncommon to see people in polos (neat, conservative, and TUCKED IN!). But in Wellington there wasn't a single person not in a show shirt and hunt coat.
     
    04-06-2010, 11:20 PM
  #9
Showing
You learn something new everyday - thank you for that post upnover!!
     
    04-07-2010, 12:41 AM
  #10
Weanling
Ok thanks guys that clears some things up.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Limited time- Free Shipping! A Circuit Hunter/Jumper Items! (US) vxf111 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 6 04-21-2010 08:48 AM
Money and time saving tips back in the crosby again Barn Maintenance 37 12-08-2009 12:52 AM
Brrrrr...it's that time of year. Time to bring out the scarves, hats, and gloves! Seattle Tack and Equipment Classifieds 3 11-24-2009 04:47 PM
looking for jumper bloodhoundmom28 Horse Riding Critique 15 09-05-2009 04:02 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0