Automatic releases?? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 01-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,220
• Horses: 0
Actually the auto release offers MORE control. Much much more and steady control because you never lose the contact with your horse's mouth through the jump and can act the second your horse lands.
upnover is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 Old 01-04-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland, USA.
Posts: 664
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnover View Post
Actually the auto release offers MORE control. Much much more and steady control because you never lose the contact with your horse's mouth through the jump and can act the second your horse lands.
That could be. I wouldn't really know, it's just what I've read online. But I was able to try it a few times today and it went perfectly. :)

Worth The Wait <3
hflmusicislife is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,613
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnover View Post
Also, before you start thinking about contact over the fence, make sure your contact on the flat is solid first.
I take it you mean contact in two-point on the flat... That's how I prepared to learn the autorelease.
ponyboy is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 01-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,324
• Horses: 0
A good way to tell if you are ready to start doing an automatic release is to jump with a driving rein. Hold your reins like you would be if you were driving a horse (or like you are holding onto a wheelbarrow), and jump a fence like you normally would. Your hands should be about shoulder width apart. If you can hold your position constantly without touching the horse, you can start learning the auto release.

How did you think that an auto-release would give you less control? You are not giving away any rein, but keeping contact, which would actually be better for you if you have a fast horse.

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows. --Epictetus
VelvetsAB is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,220
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
I take it you mean contact in two-point on the flat... That's how I prepared to learn the autorelease.

2 point. Posting. Cantering. Walking. Anything on the flat. The whole point of the auto release is to maintain contact with your horse's mouth. There are a surprising number of people who don't have a good feel on the flat. If you can't do it on the flat you won't be able to do it over fences.

There are a million ways to learn an auto release. Out of a driving rein like VelvetsAB mentioned. Out of the 2 point like you said. The method GM uses that I posted previously. None of them are wrong (as long as it teaches you correctly and doesn't hurt your horse!) but regardless my point was to make sure you have the prep work done before you begin trying to learn an advanced release.
upnover is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland, USA.
Posts: 664
• Horses: 5
Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread... Thank you upnover. I recently had a lesson that I got to work on some bigger jumps, so I also worked on my automatic release. It went great! I'm really starting to get the hang of it. Maybe I'll post videos this spring when I can start riding more regularly. Thank you all so much :)

Worth The Wait <3
hflmusicislife is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 01-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 448
• Horses: 2
I'm glad I looked through this sub-forum because I was getting on here to post a question about 'releasing'. When I was younger and took jumping lessons I remember it being a big deal to move your hands up the horses neck for a release when jumping...I guess you would call that a crest release? I have been taking lessons again for the last couple months and my instructor kept commenting that I was throwing my hands forward and then snatching back and getting on the horses mouth too much after the jump. She kept saying there was no reason to throw my hands forward but I kept thinking "Isn't that what you're supposed to do over a jump?" But I was watching some clips on youtube of people jumping and their hands didn't move forward when they went over the jumps. They just kept their hands in front of them and then 'fell down' the sides of their neck after the jump. I never heard of this automatic release but obviously that's what I've been seeing in these clips. In any case, I tried doing it as I saw other jumpers doing on those clips...I just do small cross-rails...but I didn't 'throw my hands forward' and the horse and I got along a lot better.
rottenweiler is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 01-17-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland, USA.
Posts: 664
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenweiler View Post
I'm glad I looked through this sub-forum because I was getting on here to post a question about 'releasing'. When I was younger and took jumping lessons I remember it being a big deal to move your hands up the horses neck for a release when jumping...I guess you would call that a crest release? I have been taking lessons again for the last couple months and my instructor kept commenting that I was throwing my hands forward and then snatching back and getting on the horses mouth too much after the jump. She kept saying there was no reason to throw my hands forward but I kept thinking "Isn't that what you're supposed to do over a jump?" But I was watching some clips on youtube of people jumping and their hands didn't move forward when they went over the jumps. They just kept their hands in front of them and then 'fell down' the sides of their neck after the jump. I never heard of this automatic release but obviously that's what I've been seeing in these clips. In any case, I tried doing it as I saw other jumpers doing on those clips...I just do small cross-rails...but I didn't 'throw my hands forward' and the horse and I got along a lot better.
There's 2 main types of releases...
Crest release: Short and long. The short release is used over smaller jumps. Usually like 18" or so. The long release is an exaggerated short release. You just slide your hands farther up on the horses neck. I think you can use them no matter the height of the jump, but typically you use them up to about 2'3. By sliding your hands up their neck, the horse can stretch down over the jump if they need to.
Automatic release: You read this thread, so you should get the general understanding of it. I wouldn't really use it on jumps smaller than 2', as the horse doesn't really need a ton of freedom in their head. Also, it's much more challenging than the crest release.

If you're just doing cross rails, I would think you'd just need a short release. So rather than try an automatic (although I've been learning the automatic release on smaller jumps until I get the hang of it so I don't hit my horse's mouth) I would suggest you just slide your hands about 2 inches up the horses neck. If your trainer thinks you were "throwing your hands forward," you probably were just using too long a release for the height of the jump. If you still need help I'd be happy to try and assist you

Worth The Wait <3
hflmusicislife is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 01-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 285
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hflmusicislife View Post
There's 2 main types of releases...
Crest release: Short and long. The short release is used over smaller jumps. Usually like 18" or so. The long release is an exaggerated short release. You just slide your hands farther up on the horses neck. I think you can use them no matter the height of the jump, but typically you use them up to about 2'3. By sliding your hands up their neck, the horse can stretch down over the jump if they need to.
Automatic release: You read this thread, so you should get the general understanding of it. I wouldn't really use it on jumps smaller than 2', as the horse doesn't really need a ton of freedom in their head. Also, it's much more challenging than the crest release.

If you're just doing cross rails, I would think you'd just need a short release. So rather than try an automatic (although I've been learning the automatic release on smaller jumps until I get the hang of it so I don't hit my horse's mouth) I would suggest you just slide your hands about 2 inches up the horses neck. If your trainer thinks you were "throwing your hands forward," you probably were just using too long a release for the height of the jump. If you still need help I'd be happy to try and assist you
I just want to add to this. It also depends on the horse. When you're first teaching a horse to jump, a release gives them a reward (release from pressure/contact) for doing what you want them to do: go over a jump. With a short or long crest release there is less contact with the mouth which is more of a clear cut reward. So I even if I were advanced enough of a rider to use an automatic release on a greenie, I wouldn't for training purposes to make things as easy to understand as possible for the horse. Usually this isn't an issue because I would think most riders jumping horses at heights where an automatic release would be preferred are advanced enough to use it and the horses are seasoned enough to understand it as well.
Romantic Lyric is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 448
• Horses: 2
hflmusicislife - yes thanks for spelling it out for me...i never really knew there was different kinds of releases. I'm finding out more and more that I never really knew about jumping. I never knew there was hunters OR jumpers, I thought it was hunter/jumper! So, I thought a release was a release was a release...but now I understand what I was doing wrong. I WAS over-releasing over a small jump and then snapping my hands back to control the horse. Which resulted in my yanking on the horses mouth, which resulted in her throwing her head up and doing this really 'boingy' canter that was impossible to sit. I felt bad because then I couldn't get her to stop doing the boingy canter and my instructor said I had 'caught her in the mouth too many times' and that now she was expecting it from me so that's why I couldn't fix it. So, after seeing these other people jumping and watching their form, I noticed that they were more-so holding their hands just more in front of them and keeping steady contact with the horses mouth over the jump...not pulling, but not slacking the reigns. So that's what I did this time. Easy jumping and no boingy canter!
rottenweiler is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heated Automatic waterers Belgian power Barn Maintenance 7 12-24-2010 10:08 AM
Automatic Waterers JJackson Horse Riding 20 08-22-2010 11:18 AM
automatic stall gate? ekemily Barn Maintenance 1 06-20-2010 12:27 AM
'Automatic Horse Waterer' jasmine2009 Horse Talk 4 10-07-2009 12:20 AM
Automatic waterers in Minnesota? Eagle eye 1 Barn Maintenance 15 12-14-2008 04:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome