Cantering and jumping
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Jumping

Cantering and jumping

This is a discussion on Cantering and jumping within the Jumping forums, part of the English Riding category
  • Horse cantering and jumping
  • Cantering to jumps

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-24-2009, 03:57 PM
  #1
Green Broke
Smile Cantering and jumping

Hello again all my forum friends!! So, as some of you already know who've been following my story, when I got Sandie almost 7 months ago, she was "green broke" and didn't even know how to pick up a canter. Now, 7 months later, she knows the cue and she's even learning to JUMP!!!! I am SO proud of what this little pony has been able to accomplish in such a short period of time, especially since she was a rescue...the vet that looked her over when I first got her actually laughed at me when I told her I wanted to show Sandie! She was 150 lbs overweight at that point and had no muscle tone...she was getting winded just trotting back and forth in the arena during the vet check! I was a little upset by all the doubt, but all that did was motivate me even MORE and Sandie has such natural talent, she's really turning out to be not only a wonderful horse but a good friend too.

Anyway that said, I wanted to share some pictures/videos from today - we were practicing picking up the canter (she still kind of runs into it which we're trying to correct with my trainer)...but she has come a long way with it...she used to just hand gallop, and she was very heavy on the forehand, and she's starting to slow down now and really balance herself better

We also did some jumping, and any of you eventers/hunters/jumpers out there, feel free to give me any pointers about my form, I am just learning (started jumping about 1 1/2 months ago now) so I need tips. My trainer gives them to me all the time, here are some of the things we're trying to work on...

1. Releasing my hands so that I don't catch her in the mouth - I think I accomplished that pretty well in this clip, although it was brief (which I go into below)
2. Bending at the hips (I used to hunch my back, almost inverting it when I jumped) So in this video I tried to over exaggerate the movement to make sure my back was flatter and not hunched
3. Keeping my legs on and not letting them slide backwards (I did NOT accomplish that in this video lol)
4. Waiting for Sandie and not "jumping ahead"...I would say I jumped ahead a little bit in this video, but not too bad

One thing I'm trying to figure out is that if you'll notice, it's almost like I go into position for a split second and then I sit up really quick and hit her on the back! I know I have to stop doing that, but does anyone have any good tips on how to stay in my jumping position over the fence longer without unbalancing myself on the landing?? I just can't seem to get the timing of that right...


Here's the canter video (and some car full of idiots drove by while we were cantering so don't mind the screaming sounds lol)


Here's some cool photos I was able to capture from these videos too!







     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-24-2009, 04:06 PM
  #2
Trained
I love the green on Sandie much more-so than the baby blue. It really brings out her color very nicely. Looks sharp on her.

Quote:
One thing I'm trying to figure out is that if you'll notice, it's almost like I go into position for a split second and then I sit up really quick and hit her on the back! I know I have to stop doing that, but does anyone have any good tips on how to stay in my jumping position over the fence longer without unbalancing myself on the landing?? I just can't seem to get the timing of that right...

You've answered your own question:

Quote:
2. Bending at the hips (I used to hunch my back, almost inverting it when I jumped) So in this video I tried to over exaggerate the movement to make sure my back was flatter and not hunched
3. Keeping my legs on and not letting them slide backwards (I did NOT accomplish that in this video lol)
4. Waiting for Sandie and not "jumping ahead"...I would say I jumped ahead a little bit in this video, but not too bad
Everything here that you are doing, is contributing to your issue.

Lack of stabillity in your lower leg. Over exaggerating your upper body - but that is also due to no stabillity in your lower leg. And your jumping ahead, again - due to no stabillity in your lower leg.

All these are contributing factors to you landing back onto Sandie's back before you should be.

My advice - lots of lunge line work, with no reins. Are you able to have someone help you out with this? You really need to obtain a functional lower leg.

Lots, lots, lots, lots, lots - hours apon hours of 2 point work.

LOTS of Flat Work - both you and Sandie are unbalanced.

You've come along way, be proud of that! We all have something to work on - but knowing what we need to improve apon and work on, makes us that much more of a rider.
     
    05-24-2009, 05:37 PM
  #3
Trained
Wow, you are bringing her along so nicely. I can't believe she was an overweight and out of breath just 7 months ago. She has a way to go on her balance during her trot-canter transition, but once you get her into it, she looks good. Some horses would still be breaking back to the trot. She just keeps cantering along. Your canter position is very nice as well. Very still upper body, just following along with your hips. A little ahead on the jumping, but that will come with experience. You jump better than some people who've been doing it for years. Now that you have those basics walk/trot/canter down, time to start playing with transitions. Great way to improve her balance. Great job!
     
    05-24-2009, 07:05 PM
  #4
Foal
Hoof Prints in the sand you can do a nice Canter. I agree with MIEventer the green looks really good on Sandie.


     
    05-24-2009, 07:47 PM
  #5
Green Broke
Thanks!!! MIEventer, that makes so much sense about the leg being in the right place...my trainer is always focusing on that. I really need another lesson, haven't had one in over a week because I was out of town last week....UGH, crazy how fast things can start to go bad when you skip lessons lol
     
    05-24-2009, 09:38 PM
  #6
Green Broke
Try to do no sturrips posting and twopoint work. It'll strengthen those legs up in no time! Also, do trot sets and as they help Sandie get more stamina: You go into two point and it will build muscle and stamina in you too! You are an amzing rider, and sandie is a once in a life time horse, just keep her close to you and your heart as long as possible. Blue is the same way with me, we have this understanding that I see with you and Sandie, it can't be broken. Great job with her!
     
    05-24-2009, 10:42 PM
  #7
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyBlues    
Try to do no sturrips posting and twopoint work. It'll strengthen those legs up in no time! Also, do trot sets and as they help Sandie get more stamina: You go into two point and it will build muscle and stamina in you too! You are an amzing rider, and sandie is a once in a life time horse, just keep her close to you and your heart as long as possible. Blue is the same way with me, we have this understanding that I see with you and Sandie, it can't be broken. Great job with her!
Thank you Stormy!! I know what you mean...there is this bond that has developed between us over the past 7 months that I never imagined could be so strong!
     
    05-24-2009, 11:07 PM
  #8
Green Broke
It's just that feeling when they nicker when you walk in, and nuzzle you when you enter their stall, it's just the most amazing feeling in the world
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cantering RMH barrie Gaited Horses 12 09-02-2009 12:05 AM
Cantering free_sprtd Horse Training 2 04-22-2009 09:10 PM
help on cantering? clo Horse Training 7 11-27-2007 10:28 PM
CANTERING WranglerBlondie93. Horse Training 5 11-25-2007 06:08 PM
Cantering ~Tina~ Horse Training 20 09-06-2007 11:59 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0