Devoucoux Saddles
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Jumping

Devoucoux Saddles

This is a discussion on Devoucoux Saddles within the Jumping forums, part of the English Riding category
  • Devoucoux oldara description
  • How much is a devoucoux

Like Tree2Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-18-2011, 10:36 PM
  #1
Foal
Question Devoucoux Saddles

Hey guys, for college I need to purchase a high quality french saddle for the jumping program I'll be entering. I have been looking at the Devoucoux saddles, but there are several that are used for jumping. I can't decide if the Biarritz, Oldara or Socoa is better and the website doesn't really give very much info. I need a close contact jumping saddle and all of these seem to have this description but I just can't determine the best.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-24-2011, 05:42 PM
  #2
Green Broke
There isn't really a "best" within the models, just whichever will be most comfortable for you and put you in the best position.
I've ridden in a Socoa and Biarritz and loved them both. Looking at the website it looks like the Biaritz has a wide half deep seat whereas the Socoa has a narrow half deep seat. I've never sat in an Oldara but looking at the picture it looks like it has a pretty forward flap, but that might be a customizable option. It also says it has a wide flat seat. Personally, I'd call the Devoucoux rep in your area and discuss all of these with them. If you can get to a show where they have a stand they'll have saddles you can sit in and try out.
     
    02-24-2011, 09:51 PM
  #3
Foal
Unfortunately there isn't a sales rep in my area. Most people where I live have never even heard of the brand =p. I guess I'll just have to talk to my college counselor to see if she can help me decide. Thanks
     
    02-24-2011, 09:58 PM
  #4
Started
Also be cautious in getting a custom saddle when you don't have a specific horse in mind. I prefer my bates (i have several) because I can change the gullet and the cair panels won't conform to any one horse I ride. A custom is meant to conform to one horse and not intended ideally to be used on many

Dev's are amazing (personally I prefer cwd as I have some of their tack not a saddle though) but again am wary of a custom for more than one horse on a regular basis.
     
    07-19-2011, 09:24 PM
  #5
Foal
The University I am going to is kind of picky on types of saddle. Unfortunately Bates is not listed on their recommended saddles page. They recommend Antarès, Devoucoux, Butet or PJ.
     
    07-20-2011, 10:47 AM
  #6
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess522    
The University I am going to is kind of picky on types of saddle. Unfortunately Bates is not listed on their recommended saddles page. They recommend Antarès, Devoucoux, Butet or PJ.
They give you list of recommended saddles? Really? What if a there is a student that can't afford a $3,000 saddle?
     
    07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
  #7
Weanling
Where on Earth are you going to school that they want you have one of these saddles? I'm teasing you, but it's kind of silly to buy a saddle like that when you don't have a horse to fit it to. You might want to look a new one of these by Antares... Spooner by Antares - Close Contact Saddles from SmartPak Equine They are not meant to be custom, and end up fitting a much wider range of horses. Good luck!
     
    07-20-2011, 06:45 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaLynn    
They give you list of recommended saddles? Really? What if a there is a student that can't afford a $3,000 saddle?
You have to have a close contact jumping saddle that fits you properly and if you don't have one then you can't ride in the program. They recommend certain types, because they are really big on entering the show world as professional looking as possible.
     
    07-20-2011, 06:47 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimpatico    
Where on Earth are you going to school that they want you have one of these saddles? I'm teasing you, but it's kind of silly to buy a saddle like that when you don't have a horse to fit it to. You might want to look a new one of these by Antares... Spooner by Antares - Close Contact Saddles from SmartPak Equine They are not meant to be custom, and end up fitting a much wider range of horses. Good luck!
I have recently been looking at Antares and PJ, and for whatever reason I really like PJ saddles. I don't really like how far forward the flaps are on Antares saddles so I've been interested in PJ because the flaps are more to my preference.
     
    07-21-2011, 10:00 AM
  #10
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess522    
You have to have a close contact jumping saddle that fits you properly and if you don't have one then you can't ride in the program. They recommend certain types, because they are really big on entering the show world as professional looking as possible.
Oh ok...I see. So if you already have a close contact saddle that fits you, and isn't on the recommended list, you can use that?
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saddles? RedTree Horse Tack and Equipment 2 04-28-2010 12:17 AM
Saddles!! Pally Tack and Equipment Classifieds 3 09-21-2009 07:22 AM
saddles help!!!! angelsgrace Horse Tack and Equipment 6 05-20-2009 04:47 PM
Question about Devoucoux saddles khorsluv Jumping 2 12-30-2008 05:50 PM
devoucoux saddles????? khorsluv Horse Tack and Equipment 0 12-27-2008 08:26 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0