Okay, so there's this horse that I ride once or twice a week (and have been for about a year and a half now). I love him to death but recently he has developed a nasty habit of bucking violently after most jumps. I am starting to think he might need to be chiropracted, but since he is not mine there isn't much I can do about that. Mostly I just need advice on how to stay on (I manage to most of the time, but these are BIG bucks so there is always the chance of eating dirt >.<) and how to control this!
Things I have tried:
- lower fences. Height doesn't seem to make a difference, he bucks exactly the same amount after a 3ft oxer as after a canter pole.
- a lighter seat after the jump. Just made me more likely to come off >.<
- a deeper seat after the jump. No difference.
- tried a whole range of takeoff distances, no difference
- less pace going to the jump. Just made him square.
- more pace going to the jump. Made him crazier. Lol.
- several kinds of therapeutic saddle pads, to help a possible saddle fit issue.
- letting him get lots of rolls and doing back stretch exercises with him.
I'd also like it to be noted that he is not having any trouble whatsoever getting over the fences. He never refuses, runs out, or touches a rail, and he LOVES to jump. I just have no idea what's going on with him.
Can someone help me out before he kills me, please?!!!