How many strides out can you judge a distance? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Jumping

How many strides out can you judge a distance?

This is a discussion on How many strides out can you judge a distance? within the Jumping forums, part of the English Riding category
  • Figuring out stride
  • Why does my horse stop instead of jump from the long spot

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-27-2011, 06:02 PM
  #21
Trained
I guess I do it differently than a lot of folks, then again I am kinda figuring most of this stuff out as I go. As I approach a fence, I just think, "does that next stride fit?" "does that next one fit?" I just keep re-assessing it. Usually about 4 strides out, I know if I have to shorten a tad or ask for a few longer strides. One tip that did help me lot was to think about getting the horse's back legs to the fence instead of the whole horse. Don't know why it works, but it does. The counting thing just makes me anticipate and jump ahead.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-27-2011, 11:46 PM
  #22
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck    
I guess I do it differently than a lot of folks, then again I am kinda figuring most of this stuff out as I go. As I approach a fence, I just think, "does that next stride fit?" "does that next one fit?" I just keep re-assessing it. Usually about 4 strides out, I know if I have to shorten a tad or ask for a few longer strides. One tip that did help me lot was to think about getting the horse's back legs to the fence instead of the whole horse. Don't know why it works, but it does. The counting thing just makes me anticipate and jump ahead.
I agree, I sometimes jump WAY off when I count. Its better for me if I just think "stride, stride, stride, stride" or "1, 2, 1, 2". Actually, once, the horse I was riding was very confused by a pole a stride in front of the jump. She kept jumping the jump in two parts. Front legs, pause, back legs. So going to the jump, I literally said, out loud and in front of a crowd "YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT!" for the last three strides. It actually made me get to the fence at a perfect spot.
Counting seems to help me stride when I'm nervous, but normally it just makes me jump ahead. Sometimes when I count I stop thinking and will jump the jump for the horse...A stride or two early.
Personally I think "seeing strides" and striding in general really depends on your level. A beginner rider might rely on counting and think they're micromanaging their horse (when really the horse has taken complete control) while a more advanced rider may be able to ride a course without much adjusting at all because they know their horse understands strides better than them.
     
    03-28-2011, 12:03 AM
  #23
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymer    
I literally said, out loud and in front of a crowd "YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT!" for the last three strides. It actually made me get to the fence at a perfect spot.
Ha! I do a similar thing, but it's more of an out loud rider checklist since I ride alone a lot. Three strides out, I say "open chest", two strides out "heels down", one stride out, "squeeze legs and release" Notice that last phrase takes longer than one stride, so it times me perfectly to release my horse's neck without dropping him prematurely. I guess as long as a system works, it's good!
MaryMary likes this.
     
    03-28-2011, 12:11 AM
  #24
Weanling
I normally see it at about 3 strides out. I'm relearning jumping right now, my trainer is helping me to stay safer and more effective in the saddle. I'm actually starting to see a distance 3 strides out instead of just hanging on and hoping my horse picks the distance for me. I was never taught up until now how to see a distance and to count strides.
     
    03-28-2011, 12:19 AM
  #25
Trained
I really suck at strides. I generally start counting about five strides and Rebel is SO BAD about helping me set up that sometimes....I just pray he doesn't hit a rail....

Me and my trainer have been working on him a LOT on that. But he gets so excited sometimes ^^
     
    03-28-2011, 12:30 AM
  #26
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorrelHorse    
I really suck at strides. I generally start counting about five strides and Rebel is SO BAD about helping me set up that sometimes....I just pray he doesn't hit a rail....

Me and my trainer have been working on him a LOT on that. But he gets so excited sometimes ^^
My soon to be 20 year old gets that way too at times, especially if it's a long haul between the fences and that's where I can really have a problem picking out a distance.
     
    03-28-2011, 11:25 PM
  #27
Yearling
I'm not sure what I do.. I don't necessarily count the strides.. I count rythm. And I subconciously give my horse a squeeze on the reins to hold her until whenever we take off. I don't know how to explain it. And I half half in corners and in between long lines and I never have problems with chipping or long spots usually.
     
    03-29-2011, 09:05 PM
  #28
Started
^
You are probably good enough that you just trust your instincts... I'm not at that point yet lol.

I count beat, (1,2,1,2) then as I approach the jump on the last stride I say 3 so its like 1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,3,takeoff. But I'm just learning, so I hope to be able to just see if the distance is going to work or not!
     
    03-30-2011, 08:59 AM
  #29
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheSaddlebreds    
I'm not sure what I do.. I don't necessarily count the strides.. I count rythm. And I subconciously give my horse a squeeze on the reins to hold her until whenever we take off. I don't know how to explain it. And I half half in corners and in between long lines and I never have problems with chipping or long spots usually.

That's basically just the same thing, you just don't use numbers like a lot of people do.
     
    04-03-2011, 09:53 PM
  #30
Weanling
Uhh, I have to think about that haha. Usually I start looking to see if I need to lengthen/shorten the stride about 3-4 strides out. Whether I actually go through with the changes I see or not is another story, hahaha.

I had like 3 lessons last summer where I just jumped around on a big figure-8 and my trainer had me counting strides. I aimed for "1,2,3,jump" but I ended up with a lot of "1,2,LEAP" and "1,2,3....4" before I started SEEING it.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Donít Judge a Horse by its Breed; Donít Judge a Rider by her Clothes Nature2horses Horse Stories and Poems 4 03-28-2011 04:34 PM
From big strides to short choppy ones RedTree Horse Riding 21 07-07-2010 07:42 AM
Strides are better! drafts4ever Horse Riding 0 11-08-2009 01:04 PM
Big Strides Bumpy Rides! Cadence English Riding 19 11-06-2009 02:53 PM
Sorting Out Strides In Jumping ): ~MavvyMyBeauty Horse Training 7 12-04-2007 04:23 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0