jump spreads
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Jumping

jump spreads

This is a discussion on jump spreads within the Jumping forums, part of the English Riding category
  • How far apart should:my horse crossrails be
  • How far apart is a 4 stride jump

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-22-2008, 07:59 AM
  #1
Yearling
jump spreads

How far apart should spreads (like a combo of 2 jumps) be for a pony? Converted to metres would be preferable.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-22-2008, 09:56 AM
  #2
Yearling
It all depends on your pony. I think the general rule is that the spread should be as wide as the height and no more that a 3rd wider?? But a google search would give you better information.
     
    04-22-2008, 10:27 PM
  #3
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Katie
I think the general rule is that the spread should be as wide as the height and no more that a 3rd wider??.
.........ummmm?
     
    04-22-2008, 10:30 PM
  #4
tim
Weanling
Hmm, for a challenge, try a three stride line, but you could do 7-8 strides since it's a pony.
     
    04-22-2008, 10:59 PM
  #5
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim
Hmm, for a challenge, try a three stride line, but you could do 7-8 strides since it's a pony.
how do I measure his stride?
     
    04-22-2008, 11:00 PM
  #6
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim
Hmm, for a challenge, try a three stride line, but you could do 7-8 strides since it's a pony.
how do I measure his stride?

I sound like such a begginner XD
     
    04-22-2008, 11:24 PM
  #7
Yearling
Sorry I was thinking spreads as in oxers. Whoops.

I think pony stride is 1o ft and horse 12, but im no jumper lolz.

What I used to do to measure a horses stride was find a long run, half a designated start and finish point, and measure the distance between. Then, ride from start to finish and count your strides, then divide number of strides by distance to get your average length. From then, its just trial and error to get the perfect distance between the jumps. Every horse will be different. Or you could teach the pony to lengthen or shorten, as that's the only option you'll have in a comp.
     
    04-23-2008, 12:48 AM
  #8
Yearling
Quote:
Sorry I was thinking spreads as in oxers. Whoops.
i prob should write combinations instead of spreads :P

Quote:
I think pony stride is 1o ft and horse 12, but im no jumper lolz.
thanks

Quote:
What I used to do to measure a horses stride was find a long run, half a designated start and finish point, and measure the distance between. Then, ride from start to finish and count your strides, then divide number of strides by distance to get your average length. From then, its just trial and error to get the perfect distance between the jumps. Every horse will be different. Or you could teach the pony to lengthen or shorten, as that's the only option you'll have in a comp.
i'll try this..

Anyway I made my jumping course yesterday...it's almost done and has about 11 or 12 jumps (cross rails, straights bars [--------] and
A double [like an oxer].....i have some placing poles too which I can use to change the jumps. I still need to move some of the jumps to better spots but i'm going to test it out today .....hopefully i'll be able to use the camera :)
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0