Learning to jump
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Jumping

Learning to jump

This is a discussion on Learning to jump within the Jumping forums, part of the English Riding category
  • Two point over cross rail equestrian
  • How to learn to jump horses

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-04-2011, 12:15 AM
  #1
Weanling
Learning to jump

I'm teaching me and my paint mare to jump small crossrails (no more than about a foot) by myself because I can't afford lessons. I tend to go into two point too early and my mare hits the rails with her back feet often. Does anyone have any tips to help us? I am just jumping for fun though and never plan to show.
Also, I have been cantering my mare over ground poles (we only trot over jumps so far) and whenever she goes over she jumps the pole and does a lead change at the same time! She does this on both leads. Does anyone know why?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-04-2011, 09:53 AM
  #2
Yearling
I just want to say I don't think it's really a smart idea to have a rider that is learning to jump to teach a green horse to jump. That is just my opinion..I think it's best to learn on a horse that knows what he is doing, then pass on what you learned to your green horse.

But anyway, when I was learning to jump, my trainer would always tell me; wait for the jump to come to you, try and sit all the way until the horses front feet leave the ground. This is a little difficult to do if you don't have strong legs and good feel for the horse. Going into 2-point too early can make your horse take a too long of a spot. Since you are only trotting that should not be an issue, unless the horse takes a few canter strides before the jump.

You should try setting up some ground poles, at a trotting distance (about 4.5 feet apart) then after about 3 or 4 ground poles set up your small cross rail (also about 4.5 after the last ground pole). Then just trot right through the whole thing, even the cross rail...don't two point over it, just post over it. This will help with seeing the correct spot, and help you get a feel for your horse.

The reason she could be switching her lead over the jump is because you are throwing her off balance.

Hope this helps.
     
    01-04-2011, 10:50 AM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaLynn    
I just want to say I don't think it's really a smart idea to have a rider that is learning to jump to teach a green horse to jump. That is just my opinion..I think it's best to learn on a horse that knows what he is doing, then pass on what you learned to your green horse.

But anyway, when I was learning to jump, my trainer would always tell me; wait for the jump to come to you, try and sit all the way until the horses front feet leave the ground. This is a little difficult to do if you don't have strong legs and good feel for the horse. Going into 2-point too early can make your horse take a too long of a spot. Since you are only trotting that should not be an issue, unless the horse takes a few canter strides before the jump.

You should try setting up some ground poles, at a trotting distance (about 4.5 feet apart) then after about 3 or 4 ground poles set up your small cross rail (also about 4.5 after the last ground pole). Then just trot right through the whole thing, even the cross rail...don't two point over it, just post over it. This will help with seeing the correct spot, and help you get a feel for your horse.

The reason she could be switching her lead over the jump is because you are throwing her off balance.

Hope this helps.
Thank's for the advice. My horse isn't green, just doesn't have a ton of experience jumping. I have done some jumping but it was a long time ago. We are actually doing quite well, I just needed a few pointers.
With the ground pole, if I am throwing her off balance, how do I stop this?
     
    01-04-2011, 11:10 AM
  #4
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintLover17    
Thank's for the advice. My horse isn't green, just doesn't have a ton of experience jumping. I have done some jumping but it was a long time ago. We are actually doing quite well, I just needed a few pointers.
With the ground pole, if I am throwing her off balance, how do I stop this?

You can either be throwing her off balance because maybe you are switching your weight around, or you are changing her bend, or you could not be secure enough. I obviously have no clue if you are doing any of this since I've never seen you ride, but they are just some things that can throw a horse off balance.

Setting up ground poles and just trotting for now, as I stated before, will really help you and the horse get the correct feel for jumping and balance.

But if you want to canter ground poles without her switching her lead, try to keep her bent to the inside keep your inside hand and shoulder up and push her out with your inside leg.
     
    01-04-2011, 11:15 AM
  #5
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaLynn    
You can either be throwing her off balance because maybe you are switching your weight around, or you are changing her bend, or you could not be secure enough. I obviously have no clue if you are doing any of this since I've never seen you ride, but they are just some things that can throw a horse off balance.

Setting up ground poles and just trotting for now, as I stated before, will really help you and the horse get the correct feel for jumping and balance.

But if you want to canter ground poles without her switching her lead, try to keep her bent to the inside keep your inside hand and shoulder up and push her out with your inside leg.
I will start paying more attention. I was thinking for trying poles in the round pen so she will have to stay on the correct lead. I have trotted over ground poles quite a bit. I don't want you to think I am a total beginner. I have done many ground poles with my mare and the gelding I was leasing. The only reason I guess I get a little off balance with my mare is because she leaps over the pole a good foot and does this very awkwardly.
     
    01-04-2011, 11:29 AM
  #6
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintLover17    
I will start paying more attention. I was thinking for trying poles in the round pen so she will have to stay on the correct lead. I have trotted over ground poles quite a bit. I don't want you to think I am a total beginner. I have done many ground poles with my mare and the gelding I was leasing. The only reason I guess I get a little off balance with my mare is because she leaps over the pole a good foot and does this very awkwardly.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I ride a horse that jumps ground poles like they are 3 feet high, but after I canter her over them a couple times she realizes that they are just ground poles.

But trying the poles in a round pen won't hurt
     
    09-11-2011, 04:18 PM
  #7
Foal
Why don't you try lunging her over them with out you on her and then if you have a friend with a pony just ask if you can practice on her because that's how I did it I really didn't learn I just thought I want to jump so I did all you need to no is jumping position and lightseat but lightseat isnt as important hope this helps xx
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Learning how to jump and canter. Annaland13 Horse Videos 0 01-31-2010 03:55 PM
just learning but i can try! lilkitty90 Horse Artwork 10 01-26-2010 05:53 PM
Learning to jump! Hoofprints in the Sand Horse Videos 7 03-01-2009 05:08 PM
Learning to jump! HaflingerHorse Jumping 20 04-14-2008 04:03 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0