Pleasure or pain- bucking after fences
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Jumping

Pleasure or pain- bucking after fences

This is a discussion on Pleasure or pain- bucking after fences within the Jumping forums, part of the English Riding category
  • Hoe to stop a horse from bucking after a jump
  • Horse bucking after jumping

Like Tree5Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-25-2012, 01:11 AM
  #1
Weanling
Pleasure or pain- bucking after fences

So, my darling thoroughbred Rubin has had an ongoing back issue relating to a lackk of muscle that left him very very sore when I got him. He improved lots as he gained weight and topline, but he recently fell ill. This caused him so fall away badly. Hhad two weeks off, then stated light work. His back issues which were 98% solved before he got sick became slighly flared up with the loss of muscly across the middle of his back. It is now justt about good again, and doesnt cause him any substantial pain, just a little niggle with the chiro.
After startting with losts of flatwork, his work had increased to what it was before he got sick and the other day I decided to jump him for the first time at a hieght more substancial- the hight of a 44gallon drum? I don t know how big that is, somehwere beetween 80-100cm lol. Well anyway, before he got sick hed done up to about 1m10 or somehting, and after he got sick we have oonly done like up to 70cm.

So yeah, he hadnt jumped ay big stuff, and hadnt jumped at all for the past week or two.
He was very keen to jump, popped it nicely, but each time he dropped his head and had a play- pigrooting/ wee bucks.
Im just freaking out that it might have hurt on the landing, but he I sound obvs and only has a tny little issue left.
He came into it happily and willingly the 2nd and 3rd time, with no hint of wanting to stop or run out so it was probablyjust him beng a silly fresh show off doofus, I just wanted to get input fromm other people
:) Thaaks!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-27-2012, 02:33 AM
  #2
Weanling
Does anybody have ideas?
     
    11-27-2012, 09:16 AM
  #3
Green Broke
I would say pain. This horse already has a history of back pain that hasn't been cleared as %100. Get the vet out to asses.
themacpack likes this.
     
    11-27-2012, 04:32 PM
  #4
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy1356    
I would say pain. This horse already has a history of back pain that hasn't been cleared as %100. Get the vet out to asses.
I just can't understand why he would be excited and willing to do it a second and third time?

& there arent equine specialed vets in our area really, and the equine chiropractor would be a lot more knowledgable about it, and the day after this jumping he came and said he had only a slight niggle left... so I can't be sure if that caused the bucks or not, because it was very mild.
He does occasionally bucj when he is super fresh...
Its a mystery!
Id just think if he was in pain he would stop refuse or att least back off!
     
    11-27-2012, 09:34 PM
  #5
Started
Not necessarily, is he rushing fences at all? If he rushes, that can be a result of pain as he is trying to run away from it and then bucks after because it still hurts. Otherwise, he might just be a very honest and stoic horse when it comes to pain or he isn't sore. Given his history though, it would be good to have him checked.
     
    11-28-2012, 01:13 AM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumanji321    
Not necessarily, is he rushing fences at all? If he rushes, that can be a result of pain as he is trying to run away from it and then bucks after because it still hurts. Otherwise, he might just be a very honest and stoic horse when it comes to pain or he isn't sore. Given his history though, it would be good to have him checked.
As I said, he did get checked the dayy after.

No, he wasnt rushing, he was keen though.
When I first got him and his back problems were at their worst he landed and bolted...
     
    11-29-2012, 12:51 PM
  #7
Green Broke
You only said his back issues were 98% solved but that leaves the 2% that hurts. Get him checked by a vet.
themacpack likes this.
     
    11-29-2012, 09:24 PM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy1356    
You only said his back issues were 98% solved but that leaves the 2% that hurts. Get him checked by a vet.
Oh my gosh...
I have already said this... He was checked by a CHIROPRACTOR who will know a lot more about back pain than a vet!

As I said, I understand the degree of soreness he has but ttat was not what I was asking. I was asking if anyone has experience with bucing after fences and if it is likely due to very very mild issue in his back or whe is just being a silly baby.

Just one more time...
A vet will not helpp his back. A vet may or may not tell me that he has a slight niggle in the middle of his back WHICH I ALREADY KNOW BECAUSE HE IS CHIROPRACTED EVERY TWO WEEKS TO GET HIM RIGHT.
     
    11-29-2012, 09:43 PM
  #9
Green Broke
So as much as I love chiros some of them are simply are not vets. Any way you want to justify it, they still aren't. Has this chiro told you WHY he has back pain and a "niggle". My vet is also a chiro and does horsey massages. The big thing here is WHY his back hurts. With this info we can safely assume his bucking is back pain. He could have so much wrong that might not even start in his back. He needs a full exam by a vet.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    11-29-2012, 10:02 PM
  #10
Started
Chiropractors look at one thing. Most don't deal with muscle pain or nerve pain... they are not vets. Your vet knows more about horsey pain in general than your chiropractor.

(Coming from someone who is an AVID advocate of horsey chiros, it's just fact... they don't know everything).
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do deal with bucking after fences???? huntseatgirl Jumping 15 04-19-2009 11:14 PM
3 different horses 1 hunter pleasure, 2 country pleasure thunderboomer Horse Riding Critique 2 07-25-2008 12:13 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0