Yay I finally got to jump (critique please)
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Jumping

Yay I finally got to jump (critique please)

This is a discussion on Yay I finally got to jump (critique please) within the Jumping forums, part of the English Riding category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-07-2011, 11:13 PM
      #1
    Started
    Talking Yay I finally got to jump (critique please)

    So yesterday my trainer asked me if I wanted to jump and I told her I would love to. I would like some critiques and advice. In the video there are good jumps and a few that went bad. The bad ones were caused by icky striding and me failing to release on time and such.

    As for the more successful jumps, I noticed I'd pull on X factors mouth during the landings, and didn't have a nice contact with the reins over the jumps. Don't know how to fix that so I'd like some advice on that please. :)

    In general I'm super pleased with my progress on X. I'm a much better rider and feel I have more control over him, he listens to me better and I can feel he trusts me more too. PLus I can finally get him to canter on the spot when I want him too! NO more fighting and trying to get him to canter! And the cherry on top iiiisss... (drum roll)... I was asked to exercise a horse after my lesson whenever I had the time... FOR FREE!

    Dream come true! Truly! That means I get more riding and experience for my money since Lollipop is a whole different ball game. Not enough students ride her because she's a handful, but they believe I can handle it and it will get this mare used to listening to younger, more inexperienced riders, since the only one who can really control her properly is my trainer and the lady who cleans the barn and rides impeccably.

    Thanks for the critique! :)

         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-07-2011, 11:25 PM
      #2
    Green Broke
    So you had a few good jumps, then a few where you got seriously left behind.

    Go WITH the horse. Stay forward in your two point a bit longer, as you are sitting down too soon.

    It seemed like when the horse was cantering, that you were popping her in the mouth every stride, as your hands were not giving and taking with her head. You have to follow her head motion, forward and back....but don't "pump" your arms, or you will look like a chicken! Just a gentle forward as her head goes down, and a back as her head comes up.

    I do like the active trot you have coming into the jumps though, and that you keep going after the jump.

    Aim for the middle of the jump.


    I think your trainer should have put a few trot poles down for you.
         
        08-08-2011, 02:00 AM
      #3
    Yearling
    OOoooOOoo those nasty long spots will get you every time if you're not ready! Haha! I am in LOVE with your indoor arena, by the way. Absolutely amazing.
         
        08-08-2011, 09:07 AM
      #4
    Started
    Quote:
    Go WITH the horse. Stay forward in your two point a bit longer, as you are sitting down too soon.

    I'll try to keep that in mind for next time.

    Quote:
    It seemed like when the horse was cantering, that you were popping her in the mouth every stride, as your hands were not giving and taking with her head. You have to follow her head motion, forward and back....but don't "pump" your arms, or you will look like a chicken! Just a gentle forward as her head goes down, and a back as her head comes up.

    I know it doesn't look like it but I was trying to do just that. I wasn't doing it all that well of course but with more practice I'll get there. ;)

    Quote:
    Aim for the middle of the jump.
    Haha, yaaa, that didn't always workout. Actually in the beginning, the first 2 tries I didn't jump because I was aiming for the middle but X caught me off guard (was mentally preparing myself for the jump) and decided to go to the side instead. :P

    Quote:
    I think your trainer should have put a few trot poles down for you.

    PLace trot poles how exactly? If you elaborate I'll mention it to her next lesson. Thanks for you advice Velvet. :)

    Quote:
    OOoooOOoo those nasty long spots will get you every time if you're not ready! Haha! I am in LOVE with your indoor arena, by the way. Absolutely amazing

    Ya the barn is pretty lucky to have such a large arena that's bigger than the norm. The only downside is that there is no outdoor arena. They want to build one because there is a lot of room where they could, but you know how it is. ;) Though I obviously do prefer an indoor than outdoor arena of course.
         
        08-08-2011, 09:43 AM
      #5
    Foal
    I noticed that when you go over the jumps you use your knees more that you use your heels. Your heels sucked up over the first jump and a few others. Pinching with your knees causes your lower leg to swing back and your upper body to go to far out of the saddle. Use your heels and not your knees. This will help you balance over the jump. Like VelvetsAB said you are sitting down to soon. Stay in 2 Point longer so you don't discourage your horse from wanting to jump. Also lighten your seat a little before the jump so when your horse does jump a little too soon you won't be left behind. Other than these things I thought you had a good jumping session. :)
         
        08-08-2011, 09:43 AM
      #6
    Yearling
    I think you did great. Just a couple things, if your legs were just a tad stronger, you wouldn't get throw so off balance when you get left behind after the jump. Maybe you should do some no stirrup work to strengthen up your leg muscles. What also helps with staying balanced is grab mane. That's what the mane is there for.

    This is kind of a side note; if you want your horse to land on the correct lead, try to look and lean your body to whatever lead you want him to pick up. Lean to the left for the left lead and the right for the right lead.

    You are off to a great start.
         
        08-08-2011, 03:05 PM
      #7
    Started
    Quote:
    I noticed that when you go over the jumps you use your knees more that you use your heels. Your heels sucked up over the first jump and a few others. Pinching with your knees causes your lower leg to swing back and your upper body to go to far out of the saddle. Use your heels and not your knees. This will help you balance over the jump. Like VelvetsAB said you are sitting down to soon. Stay in 2 Point longer so you don't discourage your horse from wanting to jump. Also lighten your seat a little before the jump so when your horse does jump a little too soon you won't be left behind.

    Thanks for this. It was very helpful. :)

    Quote:
    Just a couple things, if your legs were just a tad stronger, you wouldn't get throw so off balance when you get left behind after the jump. Maybe you should do some no stirrup work to strengthen up your leg muscles. What also helps with staying balanced is grab mane. That's what the mane is there for.

    This is kind of a side note; if you want your horse to land on the correct lead, try to look and lean your body to whatever lead you want him to pick up. Lean to the left for the left lead and the right for the right lead.
    Thanks as well Erika. As for the leads, it's always the inside leg that leads right? So if after the jump we're turning left, I look and slightly lean left and his left leg should lead? Is this correct?
         
        08-08-2011, 03:22 PM
      #8
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hidalgo13    
    PLace trot poles how exactly? If you elaborate I'll mention it to her next lesson. Thanks for you advice Velvet. :)
    I would hope your coach knows what trot poles are!
         
        08-08-2011, 04:01 PM
      #9
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hidalgo13    

    Thanks as well Erika. As for the leads, it's always the inside leg that leads right? So if after the jump we're turning left, I look and slightly lean left and his left leg should lead? Is this correct?
    Yes that's right.
         
        08-08-2011, 07:48 PM
      #10
    Started
    Quote:
    I would hope your coach knows what trot poles are!


    Um... yes she does. What I mean is place them where? One in front of the jump? Make me go over some in general at the trot? If so we did some pole work before we did the jumping.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Wooh! I'm finally starting to jump bigger! :D hflmusicislife Jumping 10 06-07-2011 10:39 PM
    Jump critique. Gillian Horse Riding Critique 3 12-13-2009 03:59 PM
    Finally teaching Amber to jump! BurningAmber520 Horse Training 2 09-07-2009 02:52 PM
    jump critique StarFeesh Horse Riding Critique 8 07-19-2009 12:09 AM
    Please critique a jump... Cheval Horse Riding Critique 14 04-27-2008 02:59 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0