Your opinions on my horses jumping?
   

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Jumping

Your opinions on my horses jumping?

This is a discussion on Your opinions on my horses jumping? within the Jumping forums, part of the English Riding category

    Like Tree5Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-03-2014, 04:46 PM
      #1
    Foal
    Your opinions on my horses jumping?

    My mare loves jumping and she is still green at jumping, but has been coming along nicely. I've never ridden another horse that exaggerates their jump so much, it doesn't matter if the jump is big or small. We've jumped them numerous times and she never hesitates at them so I don't think she's afraid of them. She also rocks so far back it's amazing! She jumps any and everything I point her at with no sourness about it. She's never acted 'marish' with me either. I have a feeling she's going to be a great jumper but I was wanting some opinions on her jump and what to improve and work on and what's good. Also I know my position is very far from flawless I'm not a perfect rider but that's for another post.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg foxyjump.jpg (20.6 KB, 158 views)
    File Type: jpg 1383087_10104007142401384_1573906063_n.jpg (55.4 KB, 157 views)
    File Type: jpg 1395127_10104007086189034_1955324535_n.jpg (69.0 KB, 155 views)
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-03-2014, 04:49 PM
      #2
    Foal
    Oh and if it helps you all out any these jumps were all close to 2.6'
         
        01-06-2014, 09:47 PM
      #3
    Foal
    She looks like she has a great ability to jump! She is super cute over a fence to :) I especially like the first picture and I know you said you posistion isnt flawless, which none of ares is but id try and get your leg a little closer to the girth because it is pretty far back in all the pictures but you definitely have a future jumper there :)
    FoxyJumper likes this.
         
        01-07-2014, 07:43 PM
      #4
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eventrider    
    She looks like she has a great ability to jump! She is super cute over a fence to :) I especially like the first picture and I know you said you posistion isnt flawless, which none of ares is but id try and get your leg a little closer to the girth because it is pretty far back in all the pictures but you definitely have a future jumper there :)
    thank you so much! And thank you for the tip on the leg as well, that has been my problem for a while now, do you have any ideas on how I could get it a little more forward?
         
        01-07-2014, 08:00 PM
      #5
    Foal
    I think she looks great! The only thing would be she rocks back a little *too* much onto her hind end. Like in the second picture. It's really good that she uses her hind end, but you also want a balance in her front end. I think she would benefit a lot with gym lines so she keeps that rocking back, but also works her front end. Does that make sense?

    Sometimes when they exaggerate it too much it hollows out their back, which you can kind of see in the last two pictures. Instead of that rock back, push off motion you want a nice arc.

    For the leg problem, perhaps more no stirrup work? That helped me a ton (:
    FoxyJumper likes this.
         
        01-08-2014, 06:03 PM
      #6
    Foal
    For your leg I agree Hunterjumpershow. No stirrup work would definitely help a lot but I remember one of my trainers telling me to think that I'm kicking a ball as I jumped. It helped keep my leg forward and eventually I got it so that my leg doesn't swing back!
    FoxyJumper likes this.
         
        01-10-2014, 12:51 AM
      #7
    Started
    She looks like she has excellent potential and with some work on technique could make an awesome jumper! I'd like to see you clean up those knees a LOT which means grid work grid work and more grid work (which will also help you focus on your position and make it easier for you to correct any issues you might have).
    FoxyJumper likes this.
         
        01-10-2014, 01:17 AM
      #8
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FoxyJumper    
    thank you so much! And thank you for the tip on the leg as well, that has been my problem for a while now, do you have any ideas on how I could get it a little more forward?
    Cute little mare you have! I had the same problem with my lower leg too. It has been my downfall for so long, and no matter what I did I could never fix it. That is, until I started strength training. Lots of squats, calf raises, lunges, box jumps, deadlifts, core training. Anything that will strengthen your core and lower body is your friend in keeping those legs still!
    FoxyJumper likes this.
         
        01-10-2014, 10:08 PM
      #9
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HunterJumperShow    
    I think she looks great! The only thing would be she rocks back a little *too* much onto her hind end. Like in the second picture. It's really good that she uses her hind end, but you also want a balance in her front end. I think she would benefit a lot with gym lines so she keeps that rocking back, but also works her front end. Does that make sense?

    Sometimes when they exaggerate it too much it hollows out their back, which you can kind of see in the last two pictures. Instead of that rock back, push off motion you want a nice arc.

    For the leg problem, perhaps more no stirrup work? That helped me a ton (:
    Thanks That's really helpful I will work on grids as soon as the arena dries and will probably take my stirrups off for the next few rides and hopefully see improvement :)
         
        01-11-2014, 03:42 PM
      #10
    Weanling
    To me it looks like she is coming too close to the jump before taking off, and that is why you are really feeling that 'rocking back' she is doing. From my experience and research, most horses will 'place' themselves properly for a jump, but some need a little help in learning this. I would get a good/reputable trainer to help you out.
         

    Tags
    green, jumping, opinions, paint horse, show jumping forum

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Opinions please on these horses??? Meangene1975 Barrel Racing 1 07-09-2013 11:48 AM
    Possible buy, What do you think of this jumping gelding ? opinions ? Horselover165 Horses for Sale 7 03-13-2013 11:30 AM
    Opinions on this jumping saddle verona1016 Horse Tack and Equipment 7 12-13-2012 06:02 PM
    Opinions on black jumping saddle? sonnysfirststar Horse Tack and Equipment 13 06-09-2011 02:03 AM
    Jumping ... could always use some other opinions MudPaint Horse Riding Critique 7 09-23-2010 07:31 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0