~ Leg Position? Confused! - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Riding Horses > English Riding > Jumping

~ Leg Position? Confused!

This is a discussion on ~ Leg Position? Confused! within the Jumping forums, part of the English Riding category
  • Proper leg placement for show jumping horses
  • Incorrect leg position for show jumping

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-11-2009, 03:27 PM
  #11
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes    
Does it matter if they're hunters/jumpers? Isn't good leg position over a fence the same no matter the discipline?
That is a very good question...
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-11-2009, 03:31 PM
  #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Tigerstripes    
Ok, this is probably stupid but to Void - Does it matter if they're hunters/jumpers? Isn't good leg position over a fence the same no matter the discipline?
Yes...and no.

In the hunters you are judged on it. In the jumpers as long as you clear the jumps no one cares if you are standing on your head while you do it.

Yes it matters. But.....
     
    11-11-2009, 03:38 PM
  #13
Trained
Ahhh... makes sense. Kinda. You would think that you would be able to jump higher/better with a secure leg position.
     
    11-11-2009, 03:47 PM
  #14
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind    
Yes...and no.

In the hunters you are judged on it. In the jumpers as long as you clear the jumps no one cares if you are standing on your head while you do it.

Yes it matters. But.....
Quite wrong acctually, in hunters the horse is judged, so you could be standing on your head also. Equitation is where the rider is scored on position and way of handeling horse.
     
    11-11-2009, 03:50 PM
  #15
Yearling
I feel it would matter to the performance of the horse. I understand with the hunter jumpers that your position REALLY REALLY matters, but even with show jumping I still feel it would be important to have a correct position for the comfort of the horse.
     
    11-11-2009, 03:55 PM
  #16
Weanling
Jumpers - It's all Speed and no faults, you could ride all willy-nilly and as long as you don't knock anything down and don't have speed faults you'll do well.

Hunters - It's judged on the horse, you can still ride willy-nilly, but you're horse has to have the correct lead, lead changes, no swaps, even pace, and jump in style.

Equitation - This is where rider form counts the most, if you ride poorly you won't place at all.

Equitation is important in all riding events because HOW you ride effects HOW your horse goes. Riding poorly will effect your horses balance and style. There are some truly amazing horses out there who are able to compensate for their rider's jumping ability, but most horses its very easy to see how poorly the rider rides, based on that horses way of going.
     
    11-11-2009, 04:13 PM
  #17
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void    
Hunters - It's judged on the horse, you can still ride willy-nilly, but you're horse has to have the correct lead, lead changes, no swaps, even pace, and jump in style.
Wow. I learnt something new today, LOL. I always thought that hunters was the horse AND rider. Thanks. I will remember that now. = )
     
    11-11-2009, 07:34 PM
  #18
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void    
Jumpers - It's all Speed and no faults, you could ride all willy-nilly and as long as you don't knock anything down and don't have speed faults you'll do well.

Hunters - It's judged on the horse, you can still ride willy-nilly, but you're horse has to have the correct lead, lead changes, no swaps, even pace, and jump in style.

Equitation - This is where rider form counts the most, if you ride poorly you won't place at all.

Equitation is important in all riding events because HOW you ride effects HOW your horse goes. Riding poorly will effect your horses balance and style. There are some truly amazing horses out there who are able to compensate for their rider's jumping ability, but most horses its very easy to see how poorly the rider rides, based on that horses way of going.
very well said and I agree
     
    11-11-2009, 08:05 PM
  #19
Yearling
Confused.. I show @ hunter shows in eq. Classes. So am I am eq. Rider or hunter? Cause we definitely ride hunters.. But show in the equatation divisions..
     
    11-11-2009, 08:36 PM
  #20
Green Broke
I would say your an equitation rider
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm confused! AussieDaisyGirl English Riding 11 09-10-2009 07:45 PM
I'm confused... help?! Current Displeasure Horse Talk 2 07-30-2009 07:39 PM
Confused!?? horseluver50 Horse Training 43 06-06-2009 10:36 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0