I am new here and am looking for some outside advise. This may be a long post but its a fairly complicated story and resulting question.
The back ground:...
I am an expreinced rider but am not expert in any one particular area, have guided pack trips, done basic level english a little hunter and dressage showing and worked in a bunch of barns. I am marrried and in my mid twenties. I am a part time student who is now looking for a job. My husband is self employed and we live in a medium sized canadian city.
The Story leading up to now....
This past spring I picked up a job at a well respected riding stable in my area. I loved working there, the owner could be difficult but they ran a well managed and well looked after facility. Nearing the end of my summer there I began riding in lessons with them using one of their horses. I was very lucky in that arrangement. Anyway about a month ago they switched me onto another horse. Low and behold he is by far the best horse I have EVER sat on. Best built, best gaits, best attitude, best physical ability. But he was just of field rest due to an injury. So I am getting him a a little better shape for sale. I am now part boarding him and riding twice a week. The thing is I am so so so worried he will get sold out from underneith me. The thing is he is a show horse. I HATE horse shows. I love the grooming, the prep, the cheering on, but HATE actually doing the showing.
Anyway I am wondering if it is nuts to buy a horse that I can only really ride about 3 times a week and can really only comfortably pay about half to 2/3rds of its expences right now and dont want to show, just because I want to learn as much as I possibly can and want to be around to cheer him on? Do you guys think it makes sence to buy him knowing he will have to be part boarded out? Does anyone know of anyone else doing anything like this?
My husband is on board as long as I can manage to pay for his basic $600.00 (boarding+farrier+shots+lessons) out of additional income I may bring in if I decide to get a job with more hours. I only work very part time now as I am still in school full time until January, when I will be going down to part time school. As well we are thinking/hopoing to be able to sell our city house in March to buy out near the barn where the best horse in the world lives, hopefully with a field to keep my elderly retierd mare until her time comes. No major barn or anything. The new horse wouldnt be living there with us, he would stay where he is.
Anyway if anyone can make out what I just wrote, I would be really grateful. I just really need sets of outside eyes to tell me if I am nuts or not. Now, please, please, please be honest, I have 'lost' other great horses before to sale ect, and survived, so if he isnt right for me then i know I will move on... eventually.