BadWolf's Journal

       The Horse Forum > The Horse Forum Community > Member Journals

BadWolf's Journal

This is a discussion on BadWolf's Journal within the Member Journals forums, part of the The Horse Forum Community category

    Like Tree1Likes

    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-24-2012, 06:51 PM
    BadWolf's Journal

    I'm going to use my journal to keep track of the progress my filly and I are making together. It's going to be a long process, so I think it will be good to have a record of our daily interactions so on the frustrating days, I'll be able to look back and see how far we've come.

    Here's everything that's happened up to today. Until she's named, I'll call her Filly.

    Basic Info
    Barn Name:_______________
    Registered Name:________________
    Foaled: April 23, 2012
    Sire: Tiajuana's Chocolate Patch
    Dam: Rebel's Run Blackie
    Color: Black, No Markings

    Saturday 20 October, 2012: Day 1
    Filly was very gentle in her stall when we came in. Her eyes were very curious, and while she did hesitate to move toward me, she did let me pet her all along her face, neck, and body. She wears a halter and led very nicely from the stall to the back of the trailer even though the breeder said he had only been working with her for about 3 days. When we started to load her, the step from the ground into the trailer was too high for her, so she pulled back. My husband moved the truck forward to put the trailer tires into a rut in the driveway and that lowered the back enough for Filly to step in easily. The whole process took about 15 minutes.
    On the way home (about 3 hours), we stopped twice for food and for gas. Both times Filly was very alert and looking around at everything going on around her, but she didn't seem scared or spooked.
    When we arrived home, the goats made unloading more complicated than it should have been. We finally moved the trailer farther away from them to open the doors. I let Filly take her time coming out, and when she did, she leapt out of the back like she was trying to clear a huge fence. She didn't lead as well going to the stable, but I'm sure she was nervous about being in a new place. Plus, it was already dark outside. Once we got her into the stall with her hay and water though, she was fine.

    Sunday 21 October, 2012: Day 2
    I walked Filly on the lead some in the early afternoon when my parents came to see her. She let Mom and Dad both touch her and was doing really well, but when my husband shook the grain bucket to get the goats' attention, Filly spooked and jerked the rope out of my hands. I guess the good thing was that I got to see her move out. She has a really nice trot, but her canter is a little awkward. I don't know yet if she's going to be gaited, but I'm more concerned with her personality at this point.
    She was so keyed up that I couldn't catch her for a few hours after the bucket incident, but she eventually did let me catch her and take the rope off. While she was out, I think she bonded with Maverick really well. He is the only other horse here, so I guess that's only natural.

    Monday 22 October, 2012: Day 3
    This morning I spent about an hour just walking around the pasture with everyone so Filly could get more used to me being in places other than the stable. She did let me pet her for a few minutes, but then Maverick distracted her and they went galloping off to the far end of the pasture. Filly does not like being away from Maverick. I think the breeder said they had about 80 horses on their farm, so I can't really blame her for getting attached to him. Hopefully he can help to ease her transition to being an only-horse since he'll be going back home soon.
    I went back into the pasture later in the evening, but I waited too late and it was too dark to stay very long with them.

    Tuesday 23 October, 2012: Day 4
    We started out in the stable this morning, and I just sat on a block in her stall and let her come to me. It took about 40 minutes, but Filly finally did come up to me and sniff my hair and face without me having to coax her into being near me. I think this counts as a milestone, even if it is a small one.
    For afternoon/evening training, we were all back in the field. The goats were particularly affectionate, and even Maverick was coming up to me more. He usually doesn't have any interest in me at all. The biggest progress made though was that as of tonight, Filly doesn't always position herself with Maverick between us. Again, it's little, but I think it shows that she's getting more comfortable with me.
    I also took a video of Filly tonight, trying to get her to move on camera so I can examine her gaits a little better. Unfortunately, I'm really bad at taking video with my phone.

    Wednesday 24 October, 2012: Day 5
    Today I've had to spend the day at my parent's house dog-sitting for them. Even still, I did slip in a very short session with Filly in the pasture. While I was sitting out there with her, I got a bit of a cough and I think she thought I was nickering at her because she did it back and walked directly up to me. She stayed several feet back, but it was still better than she had done so far. She hadn't been that direct in approaching me before.
    It will be well after dark before I get back home tonight, but I should be able to get in plenty of time tomorrow. My schedule isn't to where I can give her really good routines, so I guess I'll find the silver-lining in that she will be used to seeing me around at any time of day, so she doesn't get into any bad habits of lingering near the gate or anything like that.
    Sponsored Links
        10-25-2012, 09:12 PM
    Thursday 25 October, 2012: Day 6

    Today was pretty uneventful. I was able to go out twice and on the second trip out, we had a lovely discussion about peppermints.
    I explained to Filly that they are quite yummy and that if she would like to have one, all she had to do was come get it.
    She didn't come to me, but she did stay and listen, facing me, for a good little while. Usually when I start talking to her, she walks away, so I was pleased that she stayed close this afternoon.
        10-29-2012, 04:56 PM
    Friday 26 October, 2012: Day 7
    Cold and Rainy. Just a little talking through the fence.

    Saturday 27 October, 2012: Day 8
    Cold and Rainy. Just a little talking through the fence.

    Sunday 28 October, 2012: Day 9
    Today was my sister's birthday, so we were gone all day. Only enough time to say hello by the fence.

    Monday 29 October, 2012: Day 10
    Off to a great start this morning. When I went out, Filly and Maverick were dozing behind the stable, so I sat down with them. After several minutes, Filly felt ok enough with my being there to lay down for a nap. I think she's starting to like having me around. I should get a second trip out this evening and the plan is to get her into the stable for a bit of brushing. She's a little muddy from where it's been so damp these past couple of days.
        11-04-2012, 12:17 AM
    Just a quick note to say that if anyone is following our progress, the whole "post every day" thing is being suspended until we get our internet service re-installed at home.
    I'm having to drive out to my parents (12 miles) every time I want to get online :(

    Filly is doing better everyday. It's subtle, but it's progress all the same.
        11-12-2012, 02:27 PM
    Still slow progress. I'm actually making better progress with the mini we're boarding who is much more inquisitive. He'll be going home soon though, so hopefully after that, she'll bond more with me than to him. Even still, I think having the mini here has helped ease her transition away from the big herd where she was bred.
        12-08-2012, 09:24 PM
    8 December, 2012

    For one, I've finally named my filly Nova. Her registered/show name will be Bad Wolf's Supernova... if I ever figure out the paperwork and have the extra cash for it.

    For two, I think she's to the point that she's actually wanting me to come out and see her and give her a treat. She's still suspicious though.

    It's still slow-goings because of the miserable weather and short daylight hours, but I think my plan of having her in a couple of yearling halter shows late next summer is going to be just fine.
        12-28-2012, 07:58 PM
    Huge update for my little farm - We've added a horse!

    Nova now shares her pasture with a 5 year old TN Walker gelding, Gen (Reg. Pusher's Extra Virgin Gen).
    I found him here on Horse Forum and he is amazing!
    He's coming to me after a 4 month turn-out, but now that he's had a few days to settle in, we'll be starting groundwork refreshers this weekend and should have him back under saddle soon.
    He's inexperienced, but that means he's also a blank slate. I can hardly wait to see what his skills are!

    It's years down the road, but I'm really looking forward to the day that me and my husband can ride Nova and Gen together.
        05-19-2013, 09:22 PM
    It's 1 day shy of 7 months since I got Nova, and after long hours, lots of reading and fussing, I've come to realize that I'm not ready to take on a horse this young. I've had her listed for sale for about a month. So far, I've had people "like" her pictures I put up on Facebook, but only one person who expressed anything close to genuine interest. They live about 16 hours away though, and they weren't able to get transportation arranged. There was another person who basically said "let me know when you just want to get rid of her" - aka "when she's free."

    I'm still working with her, but I still feel very much out of my element when I try to deal with her. And it doesn't help that when I do try to work with her, the other horses run her away because she's at the bottom of the herd. I could probably figure out a way to get the others tied up, but I'm not sure if it would actually make any difference.

    In other farm news, we've been working on a pasture expansion, we've added chickens, sent our boarding mini back home, added 2 ponies, traded our two large goats for a calf that ended up dying, rescued another stray dog and found her a home, have a pygmy goat in the kidding pen who is very pregnant, two litters of kittens have been born, and we have our build plans for a round pen that is well suited to our needs that isn't going to be insanely expensive.

    So, my journal is no longer dedicated strictly to Nova's progress, but that of the farm in general.
        05-28-2013, 10:02 AM
    As of this morning, Nova is sold (pending pick up). We're trading her for a 5 year old mule pony. He's only about 13hh, very cute, and broke to ride. They're supposed to be coming in tonight to get her and drop him off. It breaks my heart that it didn't work out, but it's for the best that she moves on.
        05-28-2013, 08:23 PM
    Nova did go today and I feel so much better for her (and for myself). Her new owners are very knowledgeable and I have no concerns about her future now that she's with someone who knows what they're doing.

    Also, our new mule is great. He's really funny and seems to have bonded with my husband already. I'll give him a few days to settle in and we'll get him tacked up this weekend and see how he does. He's 5 years old and has been used for trail riding and for farm work, so he should be exactly what we need.

    Overall, a good day.

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:


    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    - Art Journal - KawaiiCharlie Horse Artwork 2 02-17-2011 08:16 PM
    My Art Journal MyLittleHunter Horse Artwork 13 02-06-2011 06:02 PM
    My Journal Fly Member Journals 2 11-01-2010 11:20 AM
    My Journal. horseoffire Member Journals 5 11-22-2009 10:56 PM
    The Journal Of... Solange Member Journals 4 03-18-2009 08:29 PM

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:51 AM.

    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0