October 11th 2011
Wow – it has been a while since I've written. So much has happened - I've had trouble keeping up! I guess I had better summarize, else this may become a 5 page monologue!
- Monday – 2 of my dogs got into a fight and I got bit on the hand while trying to separate them. My husband had to come out and help me feed the next 2 days as I couldn't handle the pitchfork one-handed.
- Wednesday – Skylar appeared a bit under the weather (there was nothing drastic to indicate he was unwell – I could just tell). I couldn't find anything wrong w/him, aside from a small bit of blood in one nostril. By the next morning he seemed much better.
- Thursday – while we were up in Ruffin getting hay, I got a call from the LO. He told me that Promise had gone down and appeared to be colicking! Needless to say my heart was in my throat the entire drive back – I did 70 down the Interstate despite having 2 round bales in the bed of the pickup! Thank God for the LO, who got her up and kept her moving until we got back. By that time, she was much improved. Still, I called out of work and spent all night with her, camping out at the pasture in my truck.
- Friday – I discovered that Skylar had lacerated the back of his fetlock. I treated it with diluted iodine/betadine and bandaged it overnight.
- Saturday evening - Skylar's fetlock injury was much worse. I told myself if he hadn't improved by morning I would call a vet.
- Sunday – Picked up Thunder Sunday morning! He trailered like a champ! Also, Skylar's wound seemed a bit better, but he was in a terrible mood and would NOT let me catch him. My sister came out and helped me catch and treat him. We then took Wings & Promise riding.
- Monday – Finally decided to tell my husband about Thunder. I was going to surprise him but when we got to the pasture, Thunder was missing! I panicked and RAN the entire length of the fence line, calling him. I was convinced he had escaped or had been stolen! I was incredibly relieved when I heard a nicker and he emerged from the trees, trotting up to me. I surmised that he must've squeezed through a gap in his paddock fence and managed to get out into the big pasture with the other horses. Sadly, they weren't very kind to him. Fortunately no one was hurt! And – to my complete surprise – my husband appeared to fall in love with Thunder and didn't have a negative thing to say! Since his (my husband's) birthday is Tuesday, he declared that Thunder was HIS – I thought it best not to argue! Lol
- Tuesday – FINALLY! Skylar's wound seems to be improving! I took a video clip to send to my sister and she agrees with my prognosis. I am concerned however as he does not have a current tetanus shot. I have contacted a mutual friend to ask for her vet's info...I am going to try to get someone out in the next few days.
- Thursday – I took Skylar on his first walk outside the pasture! I was hoping to have someone walk out with us the first time but it just never happened. It was a bit windy and I was worried that he might be spooky, but I needn't have worried. He was SO good!
- Friday – Vet came out today and gave Skylar his tetanus shot. He also drew blood from Promise for a pregnancy test. We should know the results in about a week!
- Saturday – What a beautiful morning! I took my daughter with me to feed, and on a whim, decided to go for a ride. I had a hackamore in my tack box and we mounted Cody bareback. It has been a long time since I've ridden double – the last time I tried it was on Wings and he'd bucked us off. But Cody took it all in stride. He didn't balk at anything but headed off down the trail. My daughter kept ending up on his withers and was complaining that it was uncomfortable, so at one point, I stopped him and – without dismounting, swung her around behind me. This ended up working out much better. I wish I'd had the camera – we had a great ride! Cody may have his faults, but he IS incredibly gentle and I am SO proud of him! Once we got back, I tried teaching my daughter to ride him by herself...she didn't pick up on all of it but that was ok. Cody just followed me around the front of his own accord and my daughter was all smiles!
I am including a couple of brief video clips – the 1st is of Thunder getting into the cookies the day after his arrival - then we have Skylar outside the pasture and finally my daughter riding Cody!