Conversation Between Fowl Play and newhorsemom
Showing Visitor Messages 11 to 20 of 117
- Yeah, drill is just patterns together as a team. We have an awesome adult drill team here that travels all over the state and several of the moms from her club are on that drill team. This is their way of filling time at fair this year. She had another great lesson today. They did rollbacks into lopes. Her horse was the only one who wasn't being a butt yesterday so she left feeling pretty good, especially since the other two horses are among the most highly trained at the farm. Each day gets a little better. My daughter isn't a huge fan of the rail shows, but she does them so she has time to ride more. She'd love to get into reining, if only they'd add that up here. I'm working on it, but they keep telling me they don't have time, or interest. I think they'd be surprised on the interest. Good luck this weekend.
- Wow, that sucks about losing her confidence. It will come back but it will probably take time. Sounds like she is really loving her new horse and that it's working out well. They are going to do drill team - I know nothing about drill team except that I think they do patterns together. I bet she'll have a blast. My daughter is not very competitive but she loves to show. The 4-H is her social event with horses and she loves training and dressage schooling shows. We've only been to two but they were very low key and mellow. Plus she is more or less competing against herself - even better. Just so long as she is having fun and enjoying it all I'm happy. Broke, but happy.
- The loping fear came from the last 2 horses we looked at. Both of them bucked significantly when she tried to get them into a lope. She stayed on, but really lost a lot of confidence. She is totally pumped about today's lesson. I know my daughter thinks that the shows are more social than work too, but that's okay. I don't want her to get too competitive and lose the joy. She's so excited about the drill team though. Unbelievable.
- Good to hear about your daughters ride Monday! I live for those rides where they reach a milestone and come off the horse glowing. For me that's what it's all about - the "happy achievement glow" they get. Sounds like your daughter and Twist are really starting to learn each other and work together. That is so great! Was the loping tough for them at first or just different from her last horse?
- She is much better as of yesterday. Her voice isn't back completely but she is fever free and a lot more energy. She hasn't ridden since a week ago Tuesday but is going to ride today so that will help. Tomorrow she won't ride because it's haul in day so we'll be leaving shortly after school. I don't know what I'm thinking going to this show - we are not at all ready! I don't like the big shows either, too stressful. I think for my dd they are more of a weekend long social event with horses so she absolutely loves it. I made it clear that this won't be her best "showing" and a lot of other kids have been working hard preparing for this show so let's just go and have fun no matter what the results are. She looked at me like that was a no brainer.
- Is your daughter feeling better? I hate big shows! Good luck to her. Last night mine volunteered to join the 4-H drill team. She's beyond excited to do it. I have no idea what it means for a time commitment, but they're going to stay at a walk/trot this year.
- So get this - my daughter has been really sick the last 5 days with high fever, sore throat, cough, etc.. Yesterday was the first day she hasn't had a fever since Friday so she is better but still very tired. The horse hasn't been ridden in over a week, however our trainer has come over and done some in-hand work with her. The spring leaders show is this weekend and my daughter is determined to go. The show is fairly big for 4-H haul in on Friday haul out Saturday - in other words, exhausting! I keep suggesting to dd that we scratch this one but NO WAY! She is determined that all will be well and no big deal by this weekend. It should be a very "interesting" weekend.