- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 50
- If you're interested in dressage... I'm currently taking dressage lessons with Cory Gregory, from Ankeny. She drives clear up to Ames, and gives me lessons at my barn. There aren't many choices for dressage instructors around that area. Avoid Stacey Porter like the plague. That woman destroys more horses than she helps. (And, in her opinion, your horse will never amount to much unless it's a warmblood.)
- I think Camie is pretty good. I've heard good things about her, and she seems to be well-received everywhere. I wouldn't touch Michele with a 10 foot pole. She's a loud-mouthed, opinionated, self-taught "know it all". She's been teaching for a while, but I've seen nothing that impresses me. I've seen too many of her students that end up having waaayyy too many problems later on. (A couple at my barn will complain that their arms hurt after a lesson; turns out it's because they're holding their reins so tight!) She tried to teach ground manners to a young horse at my barn, and it was god awful. Based on this, and the little snippets of her lessons that I've caught, I wouldn't dream of giving her my money.
- Neat! My mother used to be an RN nurse at a mental health institution. In fact, I grew up living right next to it, and would occasionally slip up to her unit (wasn't supposed to!). Most of the people there had some serious mental illnesses (mainly schizophrenics, extreme cases of bi-polar, manics, etc.). I learned quite a lot from them actually. I remember helping out with a Halloween party there one time, and I was waiting to go down with the group. A guy across the table from me visited. I thought he worked there. Then he asked, "So how's it feel to be in the loony bin?" Turns out he was a patient! He'd been planning on leaving that day, as his parents (he was late-20's) were coming to pick him up. Turned out his parents didn't want him back, which upset him quite a bit. I couldn't blame him.
My Mom really enjoyed working there, and I liked some of the patients.
- I do board my horse in Ames. I usually board two, actually! I work off my board by doing about an hour of chores in the morning and night. I'll do 2-3 hours on several nights during the week, but it's a pretty easy schedule. The barn I'm at is sort of like a "co-op", where everyone works together. It's good when it's good, but everyone is always eager to show a new person the ropes. Because if you really mess something up, we ALL hear about it from the barn owner, lol!
I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to switch schools. Iowa State is horribly expensive! I'm originally from southern Iowa, so I was eligible for in-state tuition. It was STILL cheaper to attend a good school in Missouri than it was to go to Iowa State! Although I will say that ISU has lots of interesting choices for classes.
Equine mental health sounds like an interesting field! What does that involve? Rehabilitation? Equine diseases that affect mental abilities?
- I noticed on your blog that you're minoring in performing arts. Know anyone with the last name of Rankin? She just graduated last year, I believe. I went to H.S. with her. You might be affiliated with my previous roommate, as she's a performing arts major. I won't mention her name. That relationship really soured because she was- and there's just no way to put it nicely!- a slob of a roommate. I envy you living at home! I decided to just rent the entire 2-bedroom apartment after the last one. :P
By the way, were you in line for food at the VEISHEA tent on Wednesday at around 11? There was a girl standing in front of me with riding-type pants and Ariat boots (or Ariat look-alikes). She looked a bit like your picture. I wanted to say something, but I looked like I just woke up. I was wearing my bright pink tennis shoes too. Way too embarrassing to say anything.
- Something that makes money, at this point! lol! Initially I wanted to work for the USDA-NRCS, but I got hired as a temporary employee for 4 months before I graduated with my bachelor's. The people at that location were awesome, but the work was just dull, dull, dull. Basically the same thing with a different field, every day. One employee basically surfed the internet for the majority of the day, but she was federal, so they're practically impossible to fire. That sort of thing really annoys me, and there are offices with LOTS of people like that, so I'm also afraid I'd start slacking as well.
- Not a bad arrangement! I used to know an older woman who drove to and from Cedar Rapids EVERY DAY. It wasn't usually so bad, she said, but she had a wine-tasting class as her last class of the day on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so she had to make sure she "spit" instead of "sipped", lol!
I'm going for my Master's in Soil Science. It's more interesting than it sounds, provided you have the right introductory teachers. I didn't do my undergrad at ISU.
- So you found a good boarding stable, I hope?
I read a bit of your blog that you linked to. I know the McDonald's that you went through, and I agree that the woman who sings the little jingle before asking for your money is TERRIFYING. So friggin' weird!!!!
- About Corazon Lock
- I'm a college student with no clue what I want to do, but I love my three horses and my cat!
- North central Iowa
- Horseback riding, writing, reading, being social
- Cashier/College student
- Current Status
- learning to weave in and out of the situations we call life.
- Rusty ~ a miracle horse Knight ~ my little Arab
Blogging on Midwest trail riding at: www.hittingthetrailsbyhorseback.blogspot.com
- Rusty ~ a miracle horse Knight ~ my little Arab
|iTrader Profile||Recent Ratings|
- Corazon Lock liked post by Foxhunter On thread : PETA: A Thread for Discussion and/or RantsNot worth supporting if you like animals. They kill majority of animals that go to their shelters. They have propaganda telling children that milk os bad for them because they are anti any animal...Liked On: 08-19-2014, 11:23 PM
Posted On: 08-19-2014, 06:06 PMCorazon Lock liked post by NBEventer On thread : Critique Us Over Fences!My view is going to come from a cross country point... as riding cross country and riding hunters are very different. I would like to see your stirrups come up another hole, maybe even two. I...Liked On: 08-18-2014, 12:28 AM
Posted On: 08-17-2014, 08:16 PMCorazon Lock liked post by NBEventer On thread : No Good Lesson BarnsI also don't see why Rusty wouldn't make a nice lower level eventer. If you tidy up his dressage I think he would be fine. He has a nice build and a cute jump. If he is doing well in the hunter ring...Liked On: 08-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Posted On: 08-17-2014, 06:46 PMCorazon Lock liked post by NBEventer On thread : I'm Having Withdrawals...Withdrawals from Effexor are scary. Seriously scary. The brain zaps alone were more then enough to drive me into the psych ward. Between that and hearing my pulse in my ears and my eyeballs moving....Liked On: 08-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Posted On: 08-17-2014, 06:30 PMCorazon Lock liked post by catabear On thread : I'm Having Withdrawals...I remember when I stopped Wellbutrin for my depression. My brain would have these weird shock currents through it, like zapping almost. It lasted for well over a month and I hated it. Withdrawal...Liked On: 08-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Posted On: 08-14-2014, 01:41 AMCorazon Lock liked post by DancingArabian On thread : Biggest Risks You Have Taken?I used to ride without a helmet. People didn't use helmets back then. Worked out okay, I'm still alive and can function normally! Not sure how I managed that. Posted via Mobile DeviceLiked On: 08-13-2014, 11:04 PM
Posted On: 08-13-2014, 10:33 PMCorazon Lock liked post by TimWhit91 On thread : someone please talk to meI sent you a pm Corazon, not sure if you got it or not Posted via Mobile DeviceLiked On: 08-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Posted On: 08-03-2014, 09:21 PMCorazon Lock liked post by speedy da fish On thread : Finding a Job in the Equine Industry: Tiny rant/ Journal of me finding a job.I start Monday! :-P :D :happydance:Liked On: 08-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Posted On: 04-04-2014, 02:24 PMCorazon Lock liked post by smrobs On thread : What's the most fun thing you've done with a horse?The first one that really pops into my head just happened a few weeks ago, the first time I really asked Rafe to man up and be a roping horse. He's the first horse I raised from a baby and I'm the...Liked On: 08-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Posted On: 08-01-2014, 10:12 PMCorazon Lock liked post by beverleyy On thread : I feel so plain it makes me cryLooks won't attract the right guy, or the right friends. As long as you are beautiful on the inside, you'll be beautiful on the outside too, and the right people will see that. Everybody is beautiful...Liked On: 07-25-2014, 10:43 PM
Posted On: 04-12-2014, 04:11 PMCorazon Lock liked post by BarrelRacer23 On thread : I feel so plain it makes me cryBeauty comes from inside you, as cheesy as that sounds. You don't want to attract someone with your looks, you want someone who is attracted to who you are and your personality. There have been...Liked On: 07-25-2014, 10:42 PM
Posted On: 04-10-2014, 05:50 PMCorazon Lock liked post by bkylem On thread : I feel so plain it makes me cryI don't know why, but we all have a tendency to compare ourselves against those above us rather than those below. I do it from time to time as well and I have to remind myself that there are...Liked On: 07-25-2014, 10:41 PM
Posted On: 04-10-2014, 12:32 AMCorazon Lock liked post by amberly On thread : I feel so plain it makes me cryJust last year I couldn't agree more - but let me tell you that you don't need a guy to make you happy. You don't need anyone to be itnerested in yuo to feel great. You don't need to look in the...Liked On: 07-25-2014, 10:39 PM
Posted On: 04-09-2014, 06:56 PMCorazon Lock liked post by Endiku On thread : I feel so plain it makes me cryAfter a while, every human being on the planet will lose his or her beauty. Our skin will sag and become thin and veiny. We'll lose weight or gain weight. We'll hunch over or become artheritic. Our...Liked On: 07-25-2014, 10:37 PM
Posted On: 04-09-2014, 06:38 PMCorazon Lock liked post by kiltsrhott On thread : I feel so plain it makes me cryI am not an overly attractive woman either. I'm very average, with not much of a figure, brown, frizzy hair and brown eyes. I had a terrible acne problem when I was a teenager and it still hasn't...Liked On: 07-25-2014, 10:33 PM
Posted On: 04-09-2014, 10:38 AM
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 PM.