- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 48
- Neat! My mother used to be an RN nurse at a mental health institution. In fact, I grew up living right next to it, and would occasionally slip up to her unit (wasn't supposed to!). Most of the people there had some serious mental illnesses (mainly schizophrenics, extreme cases of bi-polar, manics, etc.). I learned quite a lot from them actually. I remember helping out with a Halloween party there one time, and I was waiting to go down with the group. A guy across the table from me visited. I thought he worked there. Then he asked, "So how's it feel to be in the loony bin?" Turns out he was a patient! He'd been planning on leaving that day, as his parents (he was late-20's) were coming to pick him up. Turned out his parents didn't want him back, which upset him quite a bit. I couldn't blame him.
My Mom really enjoyed working there, and I liked some of the patients.
- I do board my horse in Ames. I usually board two, actually! I work off my board by doing about an hour of chores in the morning and night. I'll do 2-3 hours on several nights during the week, but it's a pretty easy schedule. The barn I'm at is sort of like a "co-op", where everyone works together. It's good when it's good, but everyone is always eager to show a new person the ropes. Because if you really mess something up, we ALL hear about it from the barn owner, lol!
I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to switch schools. Iowa State is horribly expensive! I'm originally from southern Iowa, so I was eligible for in-state tuition. It was STILL cheaper to attend a good school in Missouri than it was to go to Iowa State! Although I will say that ISU has lots of interesting choices for classes.
Equine mental health sounds like an interesting field! What does that involve? Rehabilitation? Equine diseases that affect mental abilities?
- I noticed on your blog that you're minoring in performing arts. Know anyone with the last name of Rankin? She just graduated last year, I believe. I went to H.S. with her. You might be affiliated with my previous roommate, as she's a performing arts major. I won't mention her name. That relationship really soured because she was- and there's just no way to put it nicely!- a slob of a roommate. I envy you living at home! I decided to just rent the entire 2-bedroom apartment after the last one. :P
By the way, were you in line for food at the VEISHEA tent on Wednesday at around 11? There was a girl standing in front of me with riding-type pants and Ariat boots (or Ariat look-alikes). She looked a bit like your picture. I wanted to say something, but I looked like I just woke up. I was wearing my bright pink tennis shoes too. Way too embarrassing to say anything.
- Something that makes money, at this point! lol! Initially I wanted to work for the USDA-NRCS, but I got hired as a temporary employee for 4 months before I graduated with my bachelor's. The people at that location were awesome, but the work was just dull, dull, dull. Basically the same thing with a different field, every day. One employee basically surfed the internet for the majority of the day, but she was federal, so they're practically impossible to fire. That sort of thing really annoys me, and there are offices with LOTS of people like that, so I'm also afraid I'd start slacking as well.
- Not a bad arrangement! I used to know an older woman who drove to and from Cedar Rapids EVERY DAY. It wasn't usually so bad, she said, but she had a wine-tasting class as her last class of the day on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so she had to make sure she "spit" instead of "sipped", lol!
I'm going for my Master's in Soil Science. It's more interesting than it sounds, provided you have the right introductory teachers. I didn't do my undergrad at ISU.
- So you found a good boarding stable, I hope?
I read a bit of your blog that you linked to. I know the McDonald's that you went through, and I agree that the woman who sings the little jingle before asking for your money is TERRIFYING. So friggin' weird!!!!
- Corazon, This is what I have from my friend that frequents the Black Hills. Willow Creek has pit toilets. $20.00 night and $85.00 for a group. The sites are poorly marked so you have to pay attention to where you are parked so you don't get charged the $85.
I stayed at this camp years ago and we rode to Harney Peak and Mt. Rushmore which was pretty neat. There were hitching rails provided above the parking area and you could tie up and then visit the monument. I don't know if that is the case now.
Another campground is French Creek. There are showers there and you need reservations. It is a longer ride to Rushmore. You would have to check on the costs.
Another would be Iron Creek. However the road in to Iron Creek is tricky and if you met another trailer it could be a problem. I have never been to the last two camps - Only Willow Creek.
- About Corazon Lock
- I'm a college student with no clue what I want to do, but I love my three horses and my cat!
- North central Iowa
- Horseback riding, writing, reading, being social
- Cashier/College student
- Current Status
- learning to weave in and out of the situations we call life.
- Rusty ~ a miracle horse Knight ~ my little Arab
Blogging on Midwest trail riding at: www.hittingthetrailsbyhorseback.blogspot.com
- Rusty ~ a miracle horse Knight ~ my little Arab
|iTrader Profile||Recent Ratings|
- Corazon Lock liked post by EdmontonHorseGal On thread : Heartland!!every episode, every season, here: Project Free TV :: Heartland (CA) (http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/internet/heartland_%28ca%29/) i use this free site daily. there are some annoying pop up...Liked On: 04-09-2014, 11:05 PM
Posted On: 10-16-2013, 12:16 AMCorazon Lock liked post by redpony On thread : I feel so plain it makes me cryI'm going to put this in horsey terms, "you can't ride color"! Someday you'll come across a man that is savvy enough to realize this. Breeding and training (your personality) is far more important...Liked On: 04-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Posted On: 04-09-2014, 11:04 AMLike everyone else, I don't believe it is selfish. There is an immense feeling of guilt when thinking of what you are going to do to your family and friends. It is recognized. However, one of the...Liked On: 04-02-2014, 11:43 PM
Posted On: 04-02-2014, 06:02 PMCorazon Lock liked post by Kyro On thread : Suicide. how has it affected you?Nery, what you said. I've been dealing with depression for 2 years now and another addiction for the last year. Ive never really considered suicide. But at my darkest moments, I have understood...Liked On: 04-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Posted On: 04-02-2014, 03:26 AMI have not personally dealt with a close friend or family member committing suicide. However, I do very much wish that there was a much better attitude about depression and other serious mental...Liked On: 04-02-2014, 12:25 AM
Posted On: 04-01-2014, 11:50 PMCorazon Lock liked post by SueC On thread : Birth control ?Hi CL, when I was around your age I had that problem and it was really painful, not "just" a cosmetic problem, and they tried all sorts of things which didn't work. Then I got a female dermatologist...Liked On: 03-31-2014, 09:44 AM
Posted On: 03-31-2014, 01:44 AMCorazon Lock liked post by Iseul On thread : Birth control ?I like and dislike the NuvaRing. There's a lot of cons to it, but I can't stay on it in hot weather. During the winter and cooler months I'm fine on it, but in the summer it's dropped me to my...Liked On: 03-31-2014, 09:41 AM
Posted On: 03-25-2014, 06:09 PMCorazon Lock liked post by Herosbud On thread : Black HillsI agree with Harney Peak but I would also go to Mt. Rushmore. Seeing it from the back side was pretty neat. I will check with a friend that goes there almost yearly and ask about campgrounds and get...Liked On: 03-25-2014, 11:17 PM
Posted On: 03-25-2014, 10:32 PMCorazon Lock liked post by Mulefeather On thread : Why Am I Lazy, Unmotivated, Unprioritized, and Never Follow ThroughHopefully once you speak with a doctor and do some testing, you can name the beast and get it dealt with. If you do get an official diagnosis, I'd be happy to share some of the tips and tricks that...Liked On: 03-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Posted On: 03-13-2014, 10:04 AMCorazon Lock liked post by Dreamcatcher Arabians On thread : I need advice regarding my boss!Here's a scenario for you: You tell the boss, she gets mad, how dare you tell "lies" about her new BF, you get fired. He cheats, she's embarrassed and you're still fired because having you around...Liked On: 03-12-2014, 10:15 PM
Posted On: 03-12-2014, 09:35 AMCorazon Lock liked post by 6gun Kid On thread : Crime in State and National ParksGenerally speaking I think that campers tend to respect other campers. The only "theft" I ever experienced in parks was by critters. Oh and the one time a lost troop of cub scouts, devoured my water...Liked On: 02-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Posted On: 02-27-2014, 06:13 AMCorazon Lock liked post by Bagheera On thread : Why Am I Lazy, Unmotivated, Unprioritized, and Never Follow ThroughI'm sorry you are going through this. I can definitely relate. I have many of the same issues as you. Shropshirerosie hit it on the head. You need to set small goals for yourself. I've improved my...Liked On: 02-25-2014, 11:05 PM
Posted On: 02-25-2014, 08:19 PMCorazon Lock liked post by RhondaLynn On thread : Crime in State and National ParksOnce when we were in a "Wilderness Area" (Sumac Creek trail in the Cohutta Mtn. of N. Georgia), as we were coming back to the truck/trailer after an all day ride, we noticed an old guy walking around...Liked On: 02-24-2014, 08:17 PM
Posted On: 02-24-2014, 10:25 AMCorazon Lock liked post by Darrin On thread : Why Am I Lazy, Unmotivated, Unprioritized, and Never Follow ThroughI happen to be forgetful myself and this is how I deal with it. Start carrying around a medium sized notebook with you, one that is big enough to write down what you need but not so big it's always...Liked On: 02-23-2014, 11:26 PM
Posted On: 02-23-2014, 08:31 PMCorazon Lock liked post by hoiski On thread : Why Am I Lazy, Unmotivated, Unprioritized, and Never Follow ThroughRemember you are human. It sounds like you're expecting yourself to be perfect overnight. When I think about all the things I have/want to do, I get overwhelmed and have a hard time doing anything....Liked On: 02-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Posted On: 02-23-2014, 01:34 AM
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 PM.