- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 54
- I contacted her back in March. It's fine, I'm using Cory now anyway, and I'll just keep using her. My Mom had been in contact with her, and asked about her background, and got back a nice response. When she asked about pricing, however, we never heard anything back. I just assumed she didn't have anything set in stone yet, so I moved on. No hard feelings, I just wanted to get in as many dressage lessons as possible before I graduated. I had also planned on attending the Iowa Horse Fair, and wanted some help with my mare before then.
I'm glad Camie came through! Let me know how she is teaching-wise. I'll pass the word along to others. :)
- I'd try to contact Camie again after Labor Day. It's possible she's just an airhead when it comes to emails! Unless she doesn't respond to multiple emails, I'd wait a bit then try again. When I couldn't find a dressage instructor, I emailed Erin Lehman. My Mom had found her, and had a good feeling about her. I asked about lesson duration, price, etc. She never answered back. I sent a letter to her email, then her Facebook Dressage/Eventing page, and then her personal Facebook profile over the course of several weeks. Nada back. She was settled down at a barn and giving lessons, so it didn't make sense. Needless to say, I stopped trying.
- Sara was the manager of Canterbrooke for a while, before it shut down. She was basically just trying to keep everything afloat (the owner had moved to Kansas, and set up a new facility there, and didn't pay the bills at Canterbrooke). Before and after Canterbrooke, though, she traveled all around and didn't have one particular barn that she taught out of. She only lived a half mile away from my current barn in Ames, so rescheduling was never an issue.
I just train. I don't have the money to compete either, lol! I'm looking into the ISU Equestrian Club/Team, as I think their shows are beginner friendly, and much cheaper.
There's only one person that shows at my barn. She says she budgets $1200/month for her horse, and that's just for board and lessons. I think that amount has gone down a bit though, as Stacey refuses to teach here now. Not sure how she does it, but she goes to recognized shows all summer long. I think a lot of sacrifices are made, because her salary isn't that high.
- Stacey is actually out of Adel, I believe, but she drives everywhere. People DO know her, and since many of them haven't had good dressage instruction, they don't know or think she's bad. She acts like a drill sergeant, so people trust her authority...
I like Cory well enough. She's no where near as good as my last dressage instructor, Sara Messner. Unfortunately, Sara met a man and moved to Colorado to get married, otherwise I'd definitely recommend her! Listen to your gut, whoever you choose! :)
- If you're interested in dressage... I'm currently taking dressage lessons with Cory Gregory, from Ankeny. She drives clear up to Ames, and gives me lessons at my barn. There aren't many choices for dressage instructors around that area. Avoid Stacey Porter like the plague. That woman destroys more horses than she helps. (And, in her opinion, your horse will never amount to much unless it's a warmblood.)
- I think Camie is pretty good. I've heard good things about her, and she seems to be well-received everywhere. I wouldn't touch Michele with a 10 foot pole. She's a loud-mouthed, opinionated, self-taught "know it all". She's been teaching for a while, but I've seen nothing that impresses me. I've seen too many of her students that end up having waaayyy too many problems later on. (A couple at my barn will complain that their arms hurt after a lesson; turns out it's because they're holding their reins so tight!) She tried to teach ground manners to a young horse at my barn, and it was god awful. Based on this, and the little snippets of her lessons that I've caught, I wouldn't dream of giving her my money.
- Neat! My mother used to be an RN nurse at a mental health institution. In fact, I grew up living right next to it, and would occasionally slip up to her unit (wasn't supposed to!). Most of the people there had some serious mental illnesses (mainly schizophrenics, extreme cases of bi-polar, manics, etc.). I learned quite a lot from them actually. I remember helping out with a Halloween party there one time, and I was waiting to go down with the group. A guy across the table from me visited. I thought he worked there. Then he asked, "So how's it feel to be in the loony bin?" Turns out he was a patient! He'd been planning on leaving that day, as his parents (he was late-20's) were coming to pick him up. Turned out his parents didn't want him back, which upset him quite a bit. I couldn't blame him.
My Mom really enjoyed working there, and I liked some of the patients.
- I do board my horse in Ames. I usually board two, actually! I work off my board by doing about an hour of chores in the morning and night. I'll do 2-3 hours on several nights during the week, but it's a pretty easy schedule. The barn I'm at is sort of like a "co-op", where everyone works together. It's good when it's good, but everyone is always eager to show a new person the ropes. Because if you really mess something up, we ALL hear about it from the barn owner, lol!
I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to switch schools. Iowa State is horribly expensive! I'm originally from southern Iowa, so I was eligible for in-state tuition. It was STILL cheaper to attend a good school in Missouri than it was to go to Iowa State! Although I will say that ISU has lots of interesting choices for classes.
Equine mental health sounds like an interesting field! What does that involve? Rehabilitation? Equine diseases that affect mental abilities?
- I noticed on your blog that you're minoring in performing arts. Know anyone with the last name of Rankin? She just graduated last year, I believe. I went to H.S. with her. You might be affiliated with my previous roommate, as she's a performing arts major. I won't mention her name. That relationship really soured because she was- and there's just no way to put it nicely!- a slob of a roommate. I envy you living at home! I decided to just rent the entire 2-bedroom apartment after the last one. :P
By the way, were you in line for food at the VEISHEA tent on Wednesday at around 11? There was a girl standing in front of me with riding-type pants and Ariat boots (or Ariat look-alikes). She looked a bit like your picture. I wanted to say something, but I looked like I just woke up. I was wearing my bright pink tennis shoes too. Way too embarrassing to say anything.
- Something that makes money, at this point! lol! Initially I wanted to work for the USDA-NRCS, but I got hired as a temporary employee for 4 months before I graduated with my bachelor's. The people at that location were awesome, but the work was just dull, dull, dull. Basically the same thing with a different field, every day. One employee basically surfed the internet for the majority of the day, but she was federal, so they're practically impossible to fire. That sort of thing really annoys me, and there are offices with LOTS of people like that, so I'm also afraid I'd start slacking as well.
- About Corazon Lock
- I'm a college student with no clue what I want to do, but I love my three horses and my cat!
- North central Iowa
- Horseback riding, writing, reading, being social
- Cashier/College student
- Current Status
- learning to weave in and out of the situations we call life.
- Rusty - a miracle horse Knight - my golden oldie
Vlogging about Midwest trail riding here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_u...tIjwnOxjKzOfjA
- Rusty - a miracle horse Knight - my golden oldie
|iTrader Profile||Recent Ratings|
- Corazon Lock liked post by jazzy475 On thread : 2015 rides - share your trail!So not fair we still have snow and ice every where,i so badly want to ride my horse.:wink: last time i was on my boy was nov 2014 uh i miss riding,seeing these pictures of you lucky people out...Liked On: 01-18-2015, 09:42 AM
Posted On: 01-17-2015, 07:34 PMCorazon Lock liked post by Maple On thread : Need good horse story book for 14 y/oI was darn near addicted to the saddle club as a young teen... I must have had dozens of the books. I can remember getting through the books in hours because I was a horsemad kid who couldn't...Liked On: 01-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Posted On: 12-18-2014, 11:52 AMCorazon Lock liked post by tinyliny On thread : Please Make Smart Choices This Winterhow awful. you never think such things will happen to people you know. so sorry for your family. may I ask how old they are/were?Liked On: 01-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Posted On: 01-09-2015, 04:32 PMCorazon Lock liked post by aubie On thread : Please Make Smart Choices This WinterVery sad to hear this. Thoughts and prayers for your family. And a good reminder to be prepared.Liked On: 01-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Posted On: 01-09-2015, 05:10 PMCorazon Lock liked post by gunslinger On thread : Please Make Smart Choices This WinterIn this kind of weather I keep a pair of Carhartt cover-alls in the trunk of the car.....I need to add a pair of insulated boots.....Liked On: 01-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Posted On: 01-09-2015, 05:37 PMCorazon Lock liked post by SlideStop On thread : Please Make Smart Choices This WinterThat's horrible! I'm sorry for your loss! Many times people underestimate the cold, especially the ones that are most susceptible to it! Posted via Mobile DeviceLiked On: 01-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Posted On: 01-09-2015, 04:22 PMCorazon Lock liked post by evilamc On thread : 2015 rides - share your trail!AA we added some sugar in their water last night then wrapped the buckets with some old horse blankets I had, by morning even in negative temps they just had a thin layer of ice! If you don't have...Liked On: 01-09-2015, 04:08 PM
Posted On: 01-08-2015, 02:10 PMCorazon Lock liked post by Samstead On thread : The man i wanted*deep breath* alright SO, awhile back I was about to date this guy, then I found out he was on crack. So I told him to get clean and we could be friends still and that I;d support him and be there...Liked On: 01-07-2015, 06:42 PM
Posted On: 01-06-2015, 11:09 PMCorazon Lock liked post by Saddlebag On thread : Taking a year or two off of college? Pros and Cons?Unfortunately the trades are often looked down upon. My hubby worked the high steel and was a top notch welder so he was often first on the job and last to finish. He made good money which my...Liked On: 01-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Posted On: 01-07-2015, 06:29 PMCorazon Lock liked post by Canterklutz On thread : Taking a year or two off of college? Pros and Cons?I suggest perhaps a change in schools or learning environment and structure? I went to an extremely competitive university where my grades tanked and I went through many personal hardships during the...Liked On: 01-06-2015, 11:12 PM
Posted On: 01-06-2015, 09:50 PMCorazon Lock liked post by mslady254 On thread : 2015 rides - share your trail!What GPS device or app do you use to track your miles? I have an android phone. Next question.....is it trail miles only or can I log arena miles also iif theres an app to figure it) Thanks! ! ...Liked On: 01-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Posted On: 01-03-2015, 07:44 PMCorazon Lock liked post by Cherie On thread : Wound InfectionMold and dust is probably why your horse is coughing. Try to not feed him any moldy hay. Any hay that has even a little white or black mold in it can be really bad for any horse. Some are a lot...Liked On: 01-01-2015, 09:52 PM
Posted On: 01-01-2015, 09:50 PMCorazon Lock liked post by sarahfromsc On thread : Wound InfectionWould it be possible to make a vitamin A sticky for the forum? Would be nice to have al the info in one place for reference, and to steer people to.Liked On: 01-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Posted On: 01-01-2015, 08:10 PMCorazon Lock liked post by Allison Finch On thread : Riding Instructors and Yelling/Insults?I would no more yell insults at a student than I would beat a horse for being ignorant. Humiliation has no place in a learning environment. I just persist in making a person try until they achieve...Liked On: 12-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Posted On: 11-04-2013, 04:26 AMCorazon Lock liked post by clumsychelsea On thread : Big Life DecisionsThank you guys so much. :-) This really is a huge step for me. I usually know what I want but am too scared to pursue it. This is TERRIFYING but I'm going for it anyway! Mental health is so much...Liked On: 11-30-2014, 09:07 AM
Posted On: 11-30-2014, 12:45 AM
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:48 PM.