- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 54
- I contacted her back in March. It's fine, I'm using Cory now anyway, and I'll just keep using her. My Mom had been in contact with her, and asked about her background, and got back a nice response. When she asked about pricing, however, we never heard anything back. I just assumed she didn't have anything set in stone yet, so I moved on. No hard feelings, I just wanted to get in as many dressage lessons as possible before I graduated. I had also planned on attending the Iowa Horse Fair, and wanted some help with my mare before then.
I'm glad Camie came through! Let me know how she is teaching-wise. I'll pass the word along to others. :)
- I'd try to contact Camie again after Labor Day. It's possible she's just an airhead when it comes to emails! Unless she doesn't respond to multiple emails, I'd wait a bit then try again. When I couldn't find a dressage instructor, I emailed Erin Lehman. My Mom had found her, and had a good feeling about her. I asked about lesson duration, price, etc. She never answered back. I sent a letter to her email, then her Facebook Dressage/Eventing page, and then her personal Facebook profile over the course of several weeks. Nada back. She was settled down at a barn and giving lessons, so it didn't make sense. Needless to say, I stopped trying.
- Sara was the manager of Canterbrooke for a while, before it shut down. She was basically just trying to keep everything afloat (the owner had moved to Kansas, and set up a new facility there, and didn't pay the bills at Canterbrooke). Before and after Canterbrooke, though, she traveled all around and didn't have one particular barn that she taught out of. She only lived a half mile away from my current barn in Ames, so rescheduling was never an issue.
I just train. I don't have the money to compete either, lol! I'm looking into the ISU Equestrian Club/Team, as I think their shows are beginner friendly, and much cheaper.
There's only one person that shows at my barn. She says she budgets $1200/month for her horse, and that's just for board and lessons. I think that amount has gone down a bit though, as Stacey refuses to teach here now. Not sure how she does it, but she goes to recognized shows all summer long. I think a lot of sacrifices are made, because her salary isn't that high.
- Stacey is actually out of Adel, I believe, but she drives everywhere. People DO know her, and since many of them haven't had good dressage instruction, they don't know or think she's bad. She acts like a drill sergeant, so people trust her authority...
I like Cory well enough. She's no where near as good as my last dressage instructor, Sara Messner. Unfortunately, Sara met a man and moved to Colorado to get married, otherwise I'd definitely recommend her! Listen to your gut, whoever you choose! :)
- If you're interested in dressage... I'm currently taking dressage lessons with Cory Gregory, from Ankeny. She drives clear up to Ames, and gives me lessons at my barn. There aren't many choices for dressage instructors around that area. Avoid Stacey Porter like the plague. That woman destroys more horses than she helps. (And, in her opinion, your horse will never amount to much unless it's a warmblood.)
- I think Camie is pretty good. I've heard good things about her, and she seems to be well-received everywhere. I wouldn't touch Michele with a 10 foot pole. She's a loud-mouthed, opinionated, self-taught "know it all". She's been teaching for a while, but I've seen nothing that impresses me. I've seen too many of her students that end up having waaayyy too many problems later on. (A couple at my barn will complain that their arms hurt after a lesson; turns out it's because they're holding their reins so tight!) She tried to teach ground manners to a young horse at my barn, and it was god awful. Based on this, and the little snippets of her lessons that I've caught, I wouldn't dream of giving her my money.
- Neat! My mother used to be an RN nurse at a mental health institution. In fact, I grew up living right next to it, and would occasionally slip up to her unit (wasn't supposed to!). Most of the people there had some serious mental illnesses (mainly schizophrenics, extreme cases of bi-polar, manics, etc.). I learned quite a lot from them actually. I remember helping out with a Halloween party there one time, and I was waiting to go down with the group. A guy across the table from me visited. I thought he worked there. Then he asked, "So how's it feel to be in the loony bin?" Turns out he was a patient! He'd been planning on leaving that day, as his parents (he was late-20's) were coming to pick him up. Turned out his parents didn't want him back, which upset him quite a bit. I couldn't blame him.
My Mom really enjoyed working there, and I liked some of the patients.
- I do board my horse in Ames. I usually board two, actually! I work off my board by doing about an hour of chores in the morning and night. I'll do 2-3 hours on several nights during the week, but it's a pretty easy schedule. The barn I'm at is sort of like a "co-op", where everyone works together. It's good when it's good, but everyone is always eager to show a new person the ropes. Because if you really mess something up, we ALL hear about it from the barn owner, lol!
I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to switch schools. Iowa State is horribly expensive! I'm originally from southern Iowa, so I was eligible for in-state tuition. It was STILL cheaper to attend a good school in Missouri than it was to go to Iowa State! Although I will say that ISU has lots of interesting choices for classes.
Equine mental health sounds like an interesting field! What does that involve? Rehabilitation? Equine diseases that affect mental abilities?
- I noticed on your blog that you're minoring in performing arts. Know anyone with the last name of Rankin? She just graduated last year, I believe. I went to H.S. with her. You might be affiliated with my previous roommate, as she's a performing arts major. I won't mention her name. That relationship really soured because she was- and there's just no way to put it nicely!- a slob of a roommate. I envy you living at home! I decided to just rent the entire 2-bedroom apartment after the last one. :P
By the way, were you in line for food at the VEISHEA tent on Wednesday at around 11? There was a girl standing in front of me with riding-type pants and Ariat boots (or Ariat look-alikes). She looked a bit like your picture. I wanted to say something, but I looked like I just woke up. I was wearing my bright pink tennis shoes too. Way too embarrassing to say anything.
- Something that makes money, at this point! lol! Initially I wanted to work for the USDA-NRCS, but I got hired as a temporary employee for 4 months before I graduated with my bachelor's. The people at that location were awesome, but the work was just dull, dull, dull. Basically the same thing with a different field, every day. One employee basically surfed the internet for the majority of the day, but she was federal, so they're practically impossible to fire. That sort of thing really annoys me, and there are offices with LOTS of people like that, so I'm also afraid I'd start slacking as well.
- About Corazon Lock
- I'm a college student with no clue what I want to do, but I love my three horses and my cat!
- North central Iowa
- Horseback riding, writing, reading, being social
- Cashier/College student
- Current Status
- learning to weave in and out of the situations we call life.
- Rusty - a miracle horse Knight - my golden oldie
Vlogging about Midwest trail riding here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_u...tIjwnOxjKzOfjA
- Rusty - a miracle horse Knight - my golden oldie
|iTrader Profile||Recent Ratings|
- Corazon Lock liked post by tinyliny On thread : I need help, emotional issues.Do you live near enough to a city to take advantage of some of the support there could be for folks with depression, and low income? I am sure there are places where you can get counciling, or even...Liked On: Yesterday, 11:19 AM
Posted On: 10-21-2014, 12:42 PMCorazon Lock liked post by squirrelfood On thread : Childless rantIt used to be "dating" meant going out and getting to know each other and a dinner or movie, or go dancing. Seems these days "dating" means going to bed with someone you barely know, either before or...Liked On: 10-21-2014, 12:27 AM
Posted On: 10-20-2014, 04:39 PMCorazon Lock liked post by Oreos Girl On thread : Virtual Trail RideKarlieJaye, that is what I consider a good pace for a trail ride. My friend and I are going in a couple of weeks and she makes some comment about not wanting to do any thing crazy. I really try to...Liked On: 10-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Posted On: 10-20-2014, 10:52 AMCorazon Lock liked post by stevenson On thread : Where to Find Trail Riding Friends?Glad you found a group to ride with that is nice and fun ! yeah it would be pretty bad to have to go to a bar to find a riding partner...lol..Liked On: 10-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Posted On: 10-20-2014, 03:56 AMCorazon Lock liked post by StarHorse On thread : Expectations of Your Trainer?You're not the only one who has trouble finding a good trainer! Finding the right trainer is difficult.Liked On: 10-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Posted On: 10-18-2014, 08:47 PMCorazon Lock liked post by tinyliny On thread : No treats, bad me?use treats when I bring the horse in. I greet with a treat, which I put on the ground, away from him, then "direct" him toward it. this, in itself, is a learning game. he learns to follow my...Liked On: 10-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Posted On: 10-17-2014, 10:27 PMCorazon Lock liked post by BlueSpark On thread : Childless rantI think I would make a decent mother, and my health is not awful. One of the main reasons I don't want to have one is entirely selfish. What if I have a mentally or physically disabled child, or one...Liked On: 10-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Posted On: 10-17-2014, 05:46 PMCorazon Lock liked post by Speed Racer On thread : Childless rantMissy May, there's a third type; those who know from a very young age that they have absolutely no interest in having children at all. I was one of those. I knew when I was a child myself that I...Liked On: 10-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Posted On: 10-17-2014, 04:50 AMCorazon Lock liked post by Yogiwick On thread : Childless rantLOL Missy May!!! My mother very sincerely and worriedly asked the nurse for a copy of the instruction manual. I turned out OK :D I also have VERY little baby experience.Liked On: 10-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Posted On: 10-17-2014, 01:12 AMCorazon Lock liked post by Missy May On thread : Childless rantI think people fall into two categories, those that want children from a young age, and those that don't think about having children at all - until after they get married - and that's only b/c it is...Liked On: 10-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Posted On: 10-17-2014, 12:33 AMCorazon Lock liked post by TessaMay On thread : Childless rantThis kind of sums up my views on the subject :lol: 532137Liked On: 10-16-2014, 10:52 PM
Posted On: 10-16-2014, 03:22 PMCorazon Lock liked post by KsKatt On thread : Opinions (Good or Bad) On Boarding Situation... Please :-)Every single reply has been excellent. It's given me some thoughts. This woman has, what sounds like, a great paying job. She doesn't NEED a boarding stable for income. Perhaps she is opening her...Liked On: 10-15-2014, 11:49 PM
Posted On: 09-18-2014, 10:05 PMCorazon Lock liked post by Remali On thread : Riding with a back injury?I'd avoid riding for quite awhile. If it isn't a disk or anything like that, then I am assuming you must have some kind of muscle or tissue injury. I wracked up my back pretty badly years ago,...Liked On: 10-15-2014, 11:35 PM
Posted On: 10-15-2014, 07:18 PMCorazon Lock liked post by karliejaye On thread : Female only thread - the Cup:shock: :rofl: I think THAT would get messy!Liked On: 09-23-2014, 11:02 PM
Posted On: 09-23-2014, 03:39 PMCorazon Lock liked post by KWPNowner On thread : I don't get hunters...?While doing the numbers in the lines is important, technically, adding or leaving a stride out in a line can be weighted more or less heavily at the judge's discretion. Really, the horses are allowed...Liked On: 09-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Posted On: 09-21-2014, 02:23 PM
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:58 AM.