- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 54
- I contacted her back in March. It's fine, I'm using Cory now anyway, and I'll just keep using her. My Mom had been in contact with her, and asked about her background, and got back a nice response. When she asked about pricing, however, we never heard anything back. I just assumed she didn't have anything set in stone yet, so I moved on. No hard feelings, I just wanted to get in as many dressage lessons as possible before I graduated. I had also planned on attending the Iowa Horse Fair, and wanted some help with my mare before then.
I'm glad Camie came through! Let me know how she is teaching-wise. I'll pass the word along to others. :)
- I'd try to contact Camie again after Labor Day. It's possible she's just an airhead when it comes to emails! Unless she doesn't respond to multiple emails, I'd wait a bit then try again. When I couldn't find a dressage instructor, I emailed Erin Lehman. My Mom had found her, and had a good feeling about her. I asked about lesson duration, price, etc. She never answered back. I sent a letter to her email, then her Facebook Dressage/Eventing page, and then her personal Facebook profile over the course of several weeks. Nada back. She was settled down at a barn and giving lessons, so it didn't make sense. Needless to say, I stopped trying.
- Sara was the manager of Canterbrooke for a while, before it shut down. She was basically just trying to keep everything afloat (the owner had moved to Kansas, and set up a new facility there, and didn't pay the bills at Canterbrooke). Before and after Canterbrooke, though, she traveled all around and didn't have one particular barn that she taught out of. She only lived a half mile away from my current barn in Ames, so rescheduling was never an issue.
I just train. I don't have the money to compete either, lol! I'm looking into the ISU Equestrian Club/Team, as I think their shows are beginner friendly, and much cheaper.
There's only one person that shows at my barn. She says she budgets $1200/month for her horse, and that's just for board and lessons. I think that amount has gone down a bit though, as Stacey refuses to teach here now. Not sure how she does it, but she goes to recognized shows all summer long. I think a lot of sacrifices are made, because her salary isn't that high.
- Stacey is actually out of Adel, I believe, but she drives everywhere. People DO know her, and since many of them haven't had good dressage instruction, they don't know or think she's bad. She acts like a drill sergeant, so people trust her authority...
I like Cory well enough. She's no where near as good as my last dressage instructor, Sara Messner. Unfortunately, Sara met a man and moved to Colorado to get married, otherwise I'd definitely recommend her! Listen to your gut, whoever you choose! :)
- If you're interested in dressage... I'm currently taking dressage lessons with Cory Gregory, from Ankeny. She drives clear up to Ames, and gives me lessons at my barn. There aren't many choices for dressage instructors around that area. Avoid Stacey Porter like the plague. That woman destroys more horses than she helps. (And, in her opinion, your horse will never amount to much unless it's a warmblood.)
- I think Camie is pretty good. I've heard good things about her, and she seems to be well-received everywhere. I wouldn't touch Michele with a 10 foot pole. She's a loud-mouthed, opinionated, self-taught "know it all". She's been teaching for a while, but I've seen nothing that impresses me. I've seen too many of her students that end up having waaayyy too many problems later on. (A couple at my barn will complain that their arms hurt after a lesson; turns out it's because they're holding their reins so tight!) She tried to teach ground manners to a young horse at my barn, and it was god awful. Based on this, and the little snippets of her lessons that I've caught, I wouldn't dream of giving her my money.
- Neat! My mother used to be an RN nurse at a mental health institution. In fact, I grew up living right next to it, and would occasionally slip up to her unit (wasn't supposed to!). Most of the people there had some serious mental illnesses (mainly schizophrenics, extreme cases of bi-polar, manics, etc.). I learned quite a lot from them actually. I remember helping out with a Halloween party there one time, and I was waiting to go down with the group. A guy across the table from me visited. I thought he worked there. Then he asked, "So how's it feel to be in the loony bin?" Turns out he was a patient! He'd been planning on leaving that day, as his parents (he was late-20's) were coming to pick him up. Turned out his parents didn't want him back, which upset him quite a bit. I couldn't blame him.
My Mom really enjoyed working there, and I liked some of the patients.
- I do board my horse in Ames. I usually board two, actually! I work off my board by doing about an hour of chores in the morning and night. I'll do 2-3 hours on several nights during the week, but it's a pretty easy schedule. The barn I'm at is sort of like a "co-op", where everyone works together. It's good when it's good, but everyone is always eager to show a new person the ropes. Because if you really mess something up, we ALL hear about it from the barn owner, lol!
I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to switch schools. Iowa State is horribly expensive! I'm originally from southern Iowa, so I was eligible for in-state tuition. It was STILL cheaper to attend a good school in Missouri than it was to go to Iowa State! Although I will say that ISU has lots of interesting choices for classes.
Equine mental health sounds like an interesting field! What does that involve? Rehabilitation? Equine diseases that affect mental abilities?
- I noticed on your blog that you're minoring in performing arts. Know anyone with the last name of Rankin? She just graduated last year, I believe. I went to H.S. with her. You might be affiliated with my previous roommate, as she's a performing arts major. I won't mention her name. That relationship really soured because she was- and there's just no way to put it nicely!- a slob of a roommate. I envy you living at home! I decided to just rent the entire 2-bedroom apartment after the last one. :P
By the way, were you in line for food at the VEISHEA tent on Wednesday at around 11? There was a girl standing in front of me with riding-type pants and Ariat boots (or Ariat look-alikes). She looked a bit like your picture. I wanted to say something, but I looked like I just woke up. I was wearing my bright pink tennis shoes too. Way too embarrassing to say anything.
- Something that makes money, at this point! lol! Initially I wanted to work for the USDA-NRCS, but I got hired as a temporary employee for 4 months before I graduated with my bachelor's. The people at that location were awesome, but the work was just dull, dull, dull. Basically the same thing with a different field, every day. One employee basically surfed the internet for the majority of the day, but she was federal, so they're practically impossible to fire. That sort of thing really annoys me, and there are offices with LOTS of people like that, so I'm also afraid I'd start slacking as well.
- About Corazon Lock
- I'm a college student with no clue what I want to do, but I love my three horses and my cat!
- North central Iowa
- Horseback riding, writing, reading, being social
- Cashier/College student
- Current Status
- learning to weave in and out of the situations we call life.
- Rusty - a miracle horse Knight - my golden oldie
Vlogging about Midwest trail riding here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_u...tIjwnOxjKzOfjA
- Rusty - a miracle horse Knight - my golden oldie
|iTrader Profile||Recent Ratings|
- Northernstar liked post by Corazon Lock On thread : Christmas baking...I like to bake for my co-workers, and while I haven't decided exactly what I'm making yet, these are some of my favorites: Peanut Butter Pudding Cookies Melting Moments Cookies Cutout Sugar...Liked On: Today, 08:47 PM
Posted On: Today, 12:29 PMaubie liked post by Corazon Lock On thread : Big Life DecisionsHow exciting!! A word from someone who knows, before you head off to school, try, if you're still having some mental health issues, to have a good counselor already in place. He or she can help...Liked On: 11-30-2014, 01:11 AM
Posted On: 11-29-2014, 11:57 PMclumsychelsea liked post by Corazon Lock On thread : Big Life DecisionsHow exciting!! A word from someone who knows, before you head off to school, try, if you're still having some mental health issues, to have a good counselor already in place. He or she can help...Liked On: 11-30-2014, 12:03 AM
Posted On: 11-29-2014, 11:57 PMPalomine liked post by Corazon Lock On thread : Beyond Confused - What's Your Reaction?I am trying not to be judgmental and to be accepting, but a lot of these things are totally new concepts to me AND it's totally new behavior from her. I'm not being overly sensitive I don't think,...Liked On: 11-29-2014, 12:36 AM
Posted On: 11-25-2014, 10:56 PMaubie liked post by Corazon Lock On thread : Beyond Confused - What's Your Reaction?She has just started therapy with my counselor actually, who does have this whole unconditional positive regard thing DOWN - she's very kind and has a lot of great stuff to offer. Yes, she has...Liked On: 11-25-2014, 11:28 PM
Posted On: 11-25-2014, 11:09 PMHeroMyOttb liked post by Corazon Lock On thread : Antidepressants and weight gainI've had many side effects to antidepressants, though never weight gain. I've never been on Lexapro either. However, I've experienced dry mouth, constipation, crazy dreams, night sweats, restless...Liked On: 11-18-2014, 08:51 PM
Posted On: 11-18-2014, 04:53 PMjamesdean57 liked post by Corazon Lock On thread : Where to Find Trail Riding Friends?I like riding alone on day trails in the area, but as for camping, I'd like to be with people I know. All is well and I'm really enjoying the saddle club. We planned our camp-outs for 2015 and are...Liked On: 11-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Posted On: 11-18-2014, 03:59 PMCeleste liked post by Corazon Lock On thread : Where to Find Trail Riding Friends?I like riding alone on day trails in the area, but as for camping, I'd like to be with people I know. All is well and I'm really enjoying the saddle club. We planned our camp-outs for 2015 and are...Liked On: 11-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Posted On: 11-18-2014, 03:59 PMDrifting liked post by Corazon Lock On thread : Where to Find Trail Riding Friends?Just an update, I did my first trail ride with the local saddle club today and had a lot of fun! None of them are really my age, but they're all very nice people. I'm going to go trail riding with...Liked On: 11-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Posted On: 10-19-2014, 07:45 PMMyFillyAspen liked post by Corazon Lock On thread : Have You Had More Than One Heart Horse?Umm...so something really weird happened. I came home and drove up to the garage. This orange cat runs in front of me. Now, 90% of our cats are orange, but this one looked like Mischief. I'm...Liked On: 11-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Posted On: 11-09-2014, 09:09 PMPaintedPonies92 liked post by Corazon Lock On thread : Have You Had More Than One Heart Horse?Umm...so something really weird happened. I came home and drove up to the garage. This orange cat runs in front of me. Now, 90% of our cats are orange, but this one looked like Mischief. I'm...Liked On: 11-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Posted On: 11-09-2014, 09:09 PMEponaLynn liked post by Corazon Lock On thread : Have You Had More Than One Heart Horse?Umm...so something really weird happened. I came home and drove up to the garage. This orange cat runs in front of me. Now, 90% of our cats are orange, but this one looked like Mischief. I'm...Liked On: 11-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Posted On: 11-09-2014, 09:09 PMgingerscout liked post by Corazon Lock On thread : Have You Had More Than One Heart Horse?Umm...so something really weird happened. I came home and drove up to the garage. This orange cat runs in front of me. Now, 90% of our cats are orange, but this one looked like Mischief. I'm...Liked On: 11-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Posted On: 11-09-2014, 09:09 PMGreySorrel liked post by Corazon Lock On thread : I don't get hunters...?A good hunter is going to be forward moving with a bigger stride. It'll ooze grace and form over the jump. I rode hunters for a couple of years and I liked it. A lot of people have bad form in...Liked On: 11-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Posted On: 09-07-2014, 08:59 PMKigerQueen liked post by Corazon Lock On thread : Bit of a rant, need some helpMy dad does this too. He thinks he knows EVERYTHING about horses but hasn't had a single one in his life. *sigh* He thinks the equine dentist overcharged me, but actually the guy had to fix the work...Liked On: 11-06-2014, 02:44 AM
Posted On: 11-05-2014, 04:34 PM
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 PM.