- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 16
- Part 3:
I have an old book by Pat Parrelli that was published by Western Horsemand in the '90s. There's some useful stuff in there. I don't know much about his new stuff, though. Buck Brannaman is also good. John Lyons has some good stuff as well.
- Part 2:
- get the horse used to the bridle, and responding to the bit (warm the bit up with your hands first, and don't do this if it's -20 C).
- ground driving
- pony with another horse, if you know someone that has a well-broke horse who could do this for you. Alternately, you might want to saddle her, lead her to the corral fence, and climb the fence, so she gets used to seeing you above her. But I wouldn't suggest jumping on her at this point.
- get her used to being groomed, having her feet picked up, etc..
- eventually tying her up. This is one of the last things I do, as I want the horse to really understand that it needs to yield to pressure at all times. I only leave the horse tied for short periods at first, and I'm always there in case it gets into trouble. You probably know this, but make sure you use a quick release knot, and only tie to something very solid, like a post. Don't use a corral panel.
- Hi Breezy,
I'm north of Battleford. I've been riding this winter, when it hasn't been too cold, so I'm sure you can do groundwork. Just make sure the footing isn't icy, and don't sweat your horse up, as she could catch a chill when she cools down. I also wouldn't work her too much in really deep snow, as it might be hard on her joints at that age (I don't know that for a fact, but just guessing).
I don't know what you've already done, but I usually do the following:
- round pen/lunge lining
- yielding to pressure with the halter, then later with a bridle.
- desensitizing, with the goal to get the horse to control its fear and trust me, rather than get it used to everything that could possibly scare it.
- lots of saddling and unsaddling. She should stand still, without being tied, eventually.
- very pretty filly you have there. thanks so much for remembering me. i did leave a few suggestions.. but me and showing was so long ago.and at such a limited amount i really have no idea about todays horse shows. trimming ear hair. leg hair is part of it too. hmmm. good luck. ill try to talk to some of my friends that show horses and have them drop you a line.. merry christmas. ride safe. wellfor you.show safe.. lol
- its going pretty good.full winter here in montana. been out riding the last few days. got called out to do some wolf hunting so i got some snow plowing through with my young mare and managed to slide down a few mountains.. but was good.. glad to hear its going so well for you. thats so wonderful. keep me posted. i love hearing about it..take care.ride safe.. and happy holidays
- About Breezy2011
- Saskatchewan Canada
- Horses and Photography and more horses!
|iTrader Profile||Recent Ratings|
- Breezy2011 liked post by wbwks On thread : Altering a western saddleI don't have advice for shortening the fenders, except to pull them UP and the leathers down, giving you a bit more room to make some new holes to bring the stirrups up. I have found that using...Liked On: 07-22-2015, 07:04 PM
Posted On: 07-22-2015, 06:19 PMBreezy2011 liked post by kiltsrhott On thread : Riding Over GrassI like tinyliny's advice. When I hand graze horses, I make sure I set the boundaries. I determine the time and the place. With my horse I never let her put her head down to graze unless I tell her...Liked On: 05-29-2015, 04:26 PM
Posted On: 05-29-2015, 07:00 AMBreezy2011 liked post by Tracer On thread : Riding Over GrassI haven't had problems to that extent, thankfully. My old QH thinks he should get to stop at every tasty looking clump of grass we find. For him, pulling his head up and a good kick is usually all...Liked On: 05-27-2015, 04:56 AM
Posted On: 05-27-2015, 04:52 AMBreezy2011 liked post by Change On thread : Great Day Today!Heck with the deals - Dusty is a good lookin' horse!Liked On: 05-24-2015, 03:13 PM
Posted On: 05-24-2015, 12:25 PMBreezy2011 liked post by beau159 On thread : Bit-less ridingAs far as showing goes, you'll have to check the rules of the shows you plan to attend. As a general rule, once they are over 5, they must be shown in a bit. You'll have to experiment and see...Liked On: 05-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Posted On: 05-17-2015, 04:33 PMYes, we still ride in the bosal. I find it works well and communicates clearly for our purposes. I use a bosal on a hanger,Liked On: 05-16-2015, 03:43 AM
Posted On: 05-16-2015, 03:12 AMThis is a recent pic of April and her bosal, hanger and mane hair reins.Liked On: 05-16-2015, 03:43 AM
Posted On: 05-16-2015, 03:24 AMBreezy2011 liked post by SouthernTrails On thread : Dakota Saddle QuestionAs the ad says, Dakota makes them to order, you can order, SQHB, RQHB, FQHB, delivery currently on a Dakota is 7-8 weeks, not the 6 weeks they advertise on that site. They have numerous seat...Liked On: 05-13-2015, 03:33 PM
Posted On: 05-13-2015, 06:01 AMBreezy2011 liked post by Gossip On thread : Horse Record BookWow! Seems like you pretty much got it all! Maybe add off property activities if you show or go to clinics?Liked On: 04-13-2015, 03:31 PM
Posted On: 04-13-2015, 02:10 PMBreezy2011 liked post by danicelia24 On thread : Colly's Foaling ThreadHere are some more pictures! I am in total loveLiked On: 04-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Posted On: 04-03-2015, 02:08 PMBreezy2011 liked post by Saskia On thread : Making Horse TackI've made a couple of rope halters here and there but prefer to buy nice ones. I don't have a lot of advice but I thought I'd tell you about where I get my halters. They're from an online site...Liked On: 03-25-2015, 08:27 PM
Posted On: 03-25-2015, 07:13 PMBreezy2011 liked post by KigerQueen On thread : Does your horse wear matching tack? I would love to see!breezy look up Two Horse Tack. they have beta biothane (feel like leather that you can clean with a bucket of soapy water! LOVE the stuff!) in all sorts of colors and color combos! Its whre i got my...Liked On: 01-03-2015, 07:00 PM
Posted On: 01-03-2015, 12:50 AMBreezy2011 liked post by sabowin On thread : Building a resumeA resume might not be as useful in your situation as someone with more education/experience, but yes, put that you're currently in high school, including GPA if it's good, as that shows dedication...Liked On: 12-23-2014, 12:17 AM
Posted On: 12-22-2014, 10:57 PMBreezy2011 liked post by smrobs On thread : Lets see your rare coloured horses!Mine's not really a rare color, but he has a relatively rare marking. There are a lot of fleabitten gray horses with blood marks on them, but those are generally black or chestnut or bay. I've...Liked On: 12-08-2014, 01:34 AM
Posted On: 12-07-2014, 10:06 PMBreezy2011 liked post by SummerShy On thread : What to expect after 30 days training?It sounds like the trainer should use these 30 days to put massive amounts of hours on your horse, reinforcing all those great things you've already taught her. Introduce those things from your...Liked On: 11-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Posted On: 11-04-2014, 09:10 PM
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 PM.