- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 16
- Part 3:
I have an old book by Pat Parrelli that was published by Western Horsemand in the '90s. There's some useful stuff in there. I don't know much about his new stuff, though. Buck Brannaman is also good. John Lyons has some good stuff as well.
- Part 2:
- get the horse used to the bridle, and responding to the bit (warm the bit up with your hands first, and don't do this if it's -20 C).
- ground driving
- pony with another horse, if you know someone that has a well-broke horse who could do this for you. Alternately, you might want to saddle her, lead her to the corral fence, and climb the fence, so she gets used to seeing you above her. But I wouldn't suggest jumping on her at this point.
- get her used to being groomed, having her feet picked up, etc..
- eventually tying her up. This is one of the last things I do, as I want the horse to really understand that it needs to yield to pressure at all times. I only leave the horse tied for short periods at first, and I'm always there in case it gets into trouble. You probably know this, but make sure you use a quick release knot, and only tie to something very solid, like a post. Don't use a corral panel.
- Hi Breezy,
I'm north of Battleford. I've been riding this winter, when it hasn't been too cold, so I'm sure you can do groundwork. Just make sure the footing isn't icy, and don't sweat your horse up, as she could catch a chill when she cools down. I also wouldn't work her too much in really deep snow, as it might be hard on her joints at that age (I don't know that for a fact, but just guessing).
I don't know what you've already done, but I usually do the following:
- round pen/lunge lining
- yielding to pressure with the halter, then later with a bridle.
- desensitizing, with the goal to get the horse to control its fear and trust me, rather than get it used to everything that could possibly scare it.
- lots of saddling and unsaddling. She should stand still, without being tied, eventually.
- very pretty filly you have there. thanks so much for remembering me. i did leave a few suggestions.. but me and showing was so long ago.and at such a limited amount i really have no idea about todays horse shows. trimming ear hair. leg hair is part of it too. hmmm. good luck. ill try to talk to some of my friends that show horses and have them drop you a line.. merry christmas. ride safe. wellfor you.show safe.. lol
- its going pretty good.full winter here in montana. been out riding the last few days. got called out to do some wolf hunting so i got some snow plowing through with my young mare and managed to slide down a few mountains.. but was good.. glad to hear its going so well for you. thats so wonderful. keep me posted. i love hearing about it..take care.ride safe.. and happy holidays
- About Breezy2011
- Saskatchewan Canada
- Horses and Photography and more horses!
|iTrader Profile||Recent Ratings|
- All the above are excellent suggestions. I would just like to add that when I first got Scotty from auction when he was a weanling, he was fuzzy, pot bellied and full of worms and lice. He didn't...Liked On: 09-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Posted On: 09-08-2014, 01:16 PMBreezy2011 liked post by Elana On thread : Yearling problem?Quite a nice horse this one! Really good looking! One thing to ask about is over abundance of Se which can cause rough coat, flaky hooves and so forth. It may NOT be an issue, but worth asking...Liked On: 09-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Posted On: 09-08-2014, 09:56 AMWhen I first got Scotty. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x70/Wendi_T/fuzzyScotty.jpg A few seasons later. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x70/Wendi_T/2009%20Geldings/ScottyGrazing.jpgLiked On: 09-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Posted On: 09-08-2014, 02:00 PMBreezy2011 liked post by bkylem On thread : Ways to Make Money as a TeenPaint fencing or jumps, scrub water troughs, clean/mop/deodorize tack room, clear brush along riding path, sell on ebay Pretty admirable. I hope you find somethingLiked On: 09-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Posted On: 09-04-2014, 10:37 PMBreezy2011 liked post by egrogan On thread : Ways to Make Money as a TeenWish you lived near me, we have been desperate to find an animal-savvy, responsible older teen for house/pet sitting, or even the occasional afternoon dog walk if my husband and I have late days at...Liked On: 09-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Posted On: 09-04-2014, 08:18 PMBreezy2011 liked post by smrobs On thread : Expected to be?I also agree with much of what Breakable wrote. I do things a bit differently (doesn't everyone :wink: ), but no less really. Keep in mind that I'm also a trainer and have spent the last almost 20...Liked On: 08-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Posted On: 08-05-2014, 09:06 PMBreezy2011 liked post by Tryst On thread : Critique Yearling GeldingI would definitely do some open shows with him, and I think there are trail classes done with the youngster in hand that you could try too. I don't think AQHA halter classes would be a good fit.Liked On: 05-18-2014, 11:11 PM
Posted On: 05-18-2014, 02:53 PMBreezy2011 liked post by tinyliny On thread : New Horse!seems like a pretty horse. I agree, grullo is a pretty color.Liked On: 04-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Posted On: 04-26-2014, 09:09 PMI can't give you a good opinion for what it's worth, I don't have any idea what used saddles like that go for up where you are. I haven't attended a used tack auction recently either so can't even...Liked On: 03-27-2014, 11:25 PM
Posted On: 03-27-2014, 09:55 PMhttp://images.craigslist.org/00z0z_n3ahAZn68i_600x450.jpg This one is listed for $350. http://images.craigslist.org/00202_iiCiCKmrZXq_600x450.jpg This one's $425. Hope this helps you...Liked On: 03-27-2014, 11:25 PM
Posted On: 03-27-2014, 10:01 PMBreezy2011 liked post by SaskGal On thread : Western Saddle Possible Buy?Hey it's from Dee's tack shack. Hahah I knew I seen that one. Posted via Mobile DeviceLiked On: 03-24-2014, 10:20 PM
Posted On: 03-24-2014, 08:36 PMBreezy2011 liked post by Roux On thread : Picking out a fly sheet!OP I have two of those flymasks for my horses and they are excellent. I have the green and the purple. They have really soft edging and also offer UV protection which is good if your horse has white...Liked On: 03-05-2014, 11:01 PM
Posted On: 03-05-2014, 10:58 PMBreezy2011 liked post by Tazzie On thread : Tack Obsessions!I have an addiction to saddle pads and polos LOL! I found a lady on Facebook who will do custom made saddle pads and polos, and I call her my enabler! I swear I have enough, but then she posts...Liked On: 02-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Posted On: 02-19-2014, 04:08 PMBreezy2011 liked post by txshorserider On thread : Progress!Yay so exciting I love those steps. Ive had "green horse" fever like baby fever lol. I want a young , no nothing horse to train. I miss working at a horse ranch where we would get 3 year olds in. My...Liked On: 01-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Posted On: 01-30-2014, 12:57 AMBreezy2011 liked post by Wallee On thread : Progress!Keep at it! Won't be long you will be riding! Slow and easy steps allowing the horse to think it through makes for great horses in the long run!Liked On: 01-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Posted On: 01-30-2014, 10:57 AM
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 AM.