- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 16
- Part 3:
I have an old book by Pat Parrelli that was published by Western Horsemand in the '90s. There's some useful stuff in there. I don't know much about his new stuff, though. Buck Brannaman is also good. John Lyons has some good stuff as well.
- Part 2:
- get the horse used to the bridle, and responding to the bit (warm the bit up with your hands first, and don't do this if it's -20 C).
- ground driving
- pony with another horse, if you know someone that has a well-broke horse who could do this for you. Alternately, you might want to saddle her, lead her to the corral fence, and climb the fence, so she gets used to seeing you above her. But I wouldn't suggest jumping on her at this point.
- get her used to being groomed, having her feet picked up, etc..
- eventually tying her up. This is one of the last things I do, as I want the horse to really understand that it needs to yield to pressure at all times. I only leave the horse tied for short periods at first, and I'm always there in case it gets into trouble. You probably know this, but make sure you use a quick release knot, and only tie to something very solid, like a post. Don't use a corral panel.
- Hi Breezy,
I'm north of Battleford. I've been riding this winter, when it hasn't been too cold, so I'm sure you can do groundwork. Just make sure the footing isn't icy, and don't sweat your horse up, as she could catch a chill when she cools down. I also wouldn't work her too much in really deep snow, as it might be hard on her joints at that age (I don't know that for a fact, but just guessing).
I don't know what you've already done, but I usually do the following:
- round pen/lunge lining
- yielding to pressure with the halter, then later with a bridle.
- desensitizing, with the goal to get the horse to control its fear and trust me, rather than get it used to everything that could possibly scare it.
- lots of saddling and unsaddling. She should stand still, without being tied, eventually.
- very pretty filly you have there. thanks so much for remembering me. i did leave a few suggestions.. but me and showing was so long ago.and at such a limited amount i really have no idea about todays horse shows. trimming ear hair. leg hair is part of it too. hmmm. good luck. ill try to talk to some of my friends that show horses and have them drop you a line.. merry christmas. ride safe. wellfor you.show safe.. lol
- its going pretty good.full winter here in montana. been out riding the last few days. got called out to do some wolf hunting so i got some snow plowing through with my young mare and managed to slide down a few mountains.. but was good.. glad to hear its going so well for you. thats so wonderful. keep me posted. i love hearing about it..take care.ride safe.. and happy holidays
- About Breezy2011
- Saskatchewan Canada
- Horses and Photography and more horses!
|iTrader Profile||Recent Ratings|
- Breezy2011 liked post by beverleyy On thread : I Found One!Sounds like you're planning for a nice all around horse, good plan IMHO. Both my mares have their "focus", but I'll do pretty much anything with them at least once. Both of them are "lifers", and...Liked On: 12-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Posted On: 12-06-2013, 09:46 PMBreezy2011 liked post by WSArabians On thread : Selling... what to do?Hopefully it all works out for you! :)Liked On: 11-22-2013, 04:17 PM
Posted On: 11-22-2013, 04:15 PMBreezy2011 liked post by Corporal On thread : Selling... what to do?Yep, flakes everywhere, especially the ones that tell you that your horse will have a "forever home." pftt I bought my dog, "Rose" from a women who occasionally has a mixed breed litter and ALWAYS...Liked On: 11-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Posted On: 11-22-2013, 03:37 PMBreezy2011 liked post by Enchantress On thread : Pics For ResaleThis is the ad I am putting up: Registered AQHA gelding, offered for sale to good home for confident rider. He is 15hh and a stocky build. Broke to ride both English and western and bareback and...Liked On: 11-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Posted On: 11-09-2013, 07:27 PMBreezy2011 liked post by Peppy Barrel Racing On thread : Breeze's Actual Colour!!Told you it wouldn't take long to get results. :-) and I knew she was black so I'm not surprised. She is gorgeous! Posted via Mobile DeviceLiked On: 06-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Posted On: 06-14-2013, 08:21 PMBreezy2011 liked post by horsea On thread : Breeze's Actual Colour!!Shes absolutely stunning!!! Like oh my gosh gorgeous... you're lucky haha. I'm a sucker for blue eyes, especially against a dark coat. Those eyes are so striking against the small amount of white...Liked On: 06-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Posted On: 06-14-2013, 02:28 AMBreezy2011 liked post by JetdecksComet On thread : color possibilitiesI think Breezy is saying it could be a new mutation. Highly unlikely, but certainly not completely impossible. Please understand when I say "highly unlikely" what I mean is the chances are...Liked On: 06-12-2013, 01:17 AM
Posted On: 06-11-2013, 11:28 PMBreezy2011 liked post by Muppetgirl On thread : Update: Exercising HorsesLet me know if you're ever coming over this way:wink:Liked On: 04-06-2013, 12:28 AM
Posted On: 04-06-2013, 12:20 AMBreezy2011 liked post by MsBHavin On thread : Breed Pictures!!Here's a couple more of Viking http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/navymasteratarms05/Viking/IMG_20130311_180916_038_zpsc194d690.jpg ...Liked On: 03-13-2013, 01:14 AM
Posted On: 03-12-2013, 02:15 PMBreezy2011 liked post by Charley horse On thread : Is she REALLY an appaloosa?Here's my registered Appy at 16.3hh 1100lbs will be five in May this yr. No spots, thick main and tail..No stripes.. HYPER! Very SMART!Liked On: 03-13-2013, 01:08 AM
Posted On: 02-26-2013, 08:57 PMBreezy2011 liked post by tbcrazy On thread : Finally Buying A SaddleI also like Joyce Harmon's western and English saddle fitting books on amazon- good pictures and descriptions if you don't have someone to help you in person :)Liked On: 02-19-2013, 01:08 AM
Posted On: 02-19-2013, 01:07 AMBreezy2011 liked post by FaydesMom On thread : Breaking 2 year oldsAnd you think people here are stupid enough to give you their address on an OPEN FORUM?? :shock::shock: You really do need to stop threatening people on this site though. You are just posting...Liked On: 02-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Posted On: 02-04-2013, 07:24 PMMaybe the reason why there are still a lot of horses who are starving and are actually being abused out there are not getting attention because people like you who go calling animal abuse...Liked On: 02-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Posted On: 02-04-2013, 06:41 PMBreezy2011 liked post by nrhareiner On thread : Breaking 2 year oldsStarted at 2 http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/reinernp/Cassie%201/CassieNRHAShow-1.jpgLiked On: 02-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Posted On: 02-04-2013, 06:47 PMThis is a big subject. I know tons of horses that were started at 2 and had no problems throughout their life what so ever. I actually know a futurity Reiner who was started at 1 1/2 I believe and...Liked On: 02-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Posted On: 02-03-2013, 04:14 AM
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:00 AM.