- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 16
- Part 3:
I have an old book by Pat Parrelli that was published by Western Horsemand in the '90s. There's some useful stuff in there. I don't know much about his new stuff, though. Buck Brannaman is also good. John Lyons has some good stuff as well.
- Part 2:
- get the horse used to the bridle, and responding to the bit (warm the bit up with your hands first, and don't do this if it's -20 C).
- ground driving
- pony with another horse, if you know someone that has a well-broke horse who could do this for you. Alternately, you might want to saddle her, lead her to the corral fence, and climb the fence, so she gets used to seeing you above her. But I wouldn't suggest jumping on her at this point.
- get her used to being groomed, having her feet picked up, etc..
- eventually tying her up. This is one of the last things I do, as I want the horse to really understand that it needs to yield to pressure at all times. I only leave the horse tied for short periods at first, and I'm always there in case it gets into trouble. You probably know this, but make sure you use a quick release knot, and only tie to something very solid, like a post. Don't use a corral panel.
- Hi Breezy,
I'm north of Battleford. I've been riding this winter, when it hasn't been too cold, so I'm sure you can do groundwork. Just make sure the footing isn't icy, and don't sweat your horse up, as she could catch a chill when she cools down. I also wouldn't work her too much in really deep snow, as it might be hard on her joints at that age (I don't know that for a fact, but just guessing).
I don't know what you've already done, but I usually do the following:
- round pen/lunge lining
- yielding to pressure with the halter, then later with a bridle.
- desensitizing, with the goal to get the horse to control its fear and trust me, rather than get it used to everything that could possibly scare it.
- lots of saddling and unsaddling. She should stand still, without being tied, eventually.
- very pretty filly you have there. thanks so much for remembering me. i did leave a few suggestions.. but me and showing was so long ago.and at such a limited amount i really have no idea about todays horse shows. trimming ear hair. leg hair is part of it too. hmmm. good luck. ill try to talk to some of my friends that show horses and have them drop you a line.. merry christmas. ride safe. wellfor you.show safe.. lol
- its going pretty good.full winter here in montana. been out riding the last few days. got called out to do some wolf hunting so i got some snow plowing through with my young mare and managed to slide down a few mountains.. but was good.. glad to hear its going so well for you. thats so wonderful. keep me posted. i love hearing about it..take care.ride safe.. and happy holidays
- About Breezy2011
- Saskatchewan Canada
- Horses and Photography and more horses!
|iTrader Profile||Recent Ratings|
- Breezy2011 liked post by sabowin On thread : Building a resumeA resume might not be as useful in your situation as someone with more education/experience, but yes, put that you're currently in high school, including GPA if it's good, as that shows dedication...Liked On: 12-23-2014, 01:17 AM
Posted On: 12-22-2014, 11:57 PMBreezy2011 liked post by smrobs On thread : Lets see your rare coloured horses!Mine's not really a rare color, but he has a relatively rare marking. There are a lot of fleabitten gray horses with blood marks on them, but those are generally black or chestnut or bay. I've...Liked On: 12-08-2014, 02:34 AM
Posted On: 12-07-2014, 11:06 PMBreezy2011 liked post by SummerShy On thread : What to expect after 30 days training?It sounds like the trainer should use these 30 days to put massive amounts of hours on your horse, reinforcing all those great things you've already taught her. Introduce those things from your...Liked On: 11-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Posted On: 11-04-2014, 10:10 PMBreezy2011 liked post by Golden Horse On thread : Trainer in SK, Canada.There is also a FB group called Horse Trainers in SK, I would pm the link but can't work out how on my cell. Try asking there Posted via Mobile DeviceLiked On: 11-02-2014, 12:51 AM
Posted On: 11-01-2014, 03:11 PMBreezy2011 liked post by OoLaurenoO On thread : HelpOk we must be getting close now!!!! Big changes in Lou Lou's udder. Left pic is from yesterday, right pic is this morning. :) I can lift her tail up very easily and move it around. Haven't noticed...Liked On: 10-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Posted On: 10-12-2014, 06:55 PMBreezy2011 liked post by smrobs On thread : Sending a horse for training at the feedlotThat's always a plus then if she can rope off her some :DLiked On: 09-30-2014, 02:00 AM
Posted On: 09-30-2014, 12:36 AMBreezy2011 liked post by Drifting On thread : 5 panel testingAnimal Genetics is a perfectly reputable place to use. I think you can do it through UC Davis too. My friend uses Animal Genetics and gets the results back very fast through emailLiked On: 09-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Posted On: 09-26-2014, 10:58 AMAll the above are excellent suggestions. I would just like to add that when I first got Scotty from auction when he was a weanling, he was fuzzy, pot bellied and full of worms and lice. He didn't...Liked On: 09-10-2014, 12:23 AM
Posted On: 09-08-2014, 02:16 PMBreezy2011 liked post by Elana On thread : Yearling problem?Quite a nice horse this one! Really good looking! One thing to ask about is over abundance of Se which can cause rough coat, flaky hooves and so forth. It may NOT be an issue, but worth asking...Liked On: 09-10-2014, 12:23 AM
Posted On: 09-08-2014, 10:56 AMWhen I first got Scotty. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x70/Wendi_T/fuzzyScotty.jpg A few seasons later. http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x70/Wendi_T/2009%20Geldings/ScottyGrazing.jpgLiked On: 09-10-2014, 12:23 AM
Posted On: 09-08-2014, 03:00 PMBreezy2011 liked post by bkylem On thread : Ways to Make Money as a TeenPaint fencing or jumps, scrub water troughs, clean/mop/deodorize tack room, clear brush along riding path, sell on ebay Pretty admirable. I hope you find somethingLiked On: 09-05-2014, 12:18 AM
Posted On: 09-04-2014, 11:37 PMBreezy2011 liked post by egrogan On thread : Ways to Make Money as a TeenWish you lived near me, we have been desperate to find an animal-savvy, responsible older teen for house/pet sitting, or even the occasional afternoon dog walk if my husband and I have late days at...Liked On: 09-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Posted On: 09-04-2014, 09:18 PMBreezy2011 liked post by smrobs On thread : Expected to be?I also agree with much of what Breakable wrote. I do things a bit differently (doesn't everyone :wink: ), but no less really. Keep in mind that I'm also a trainer and have spent the last almost 20...Liked On: 08-05-2014, 11:08 PM
Posted On: 08-05-2014, 10:06 PMBreezy2011 liked post by Tryst On thread : Critique Yearling GeldingI would definitely do some open shows with him, and I think there are trail classes done with the youngster in hand that you could try too. I don't think AQHA halter classes would be a good fit.Liked On: 05-19-2014, 12:11 AM
Posted On: 05-18-2014, 03:53 PMBreezy2011 liked post by tinyliny On thread : New Horse!seems like a pretty horse. I agree, grullo is a pretty color.Liked On: 04-26-2014, 10:30 PM
Posted On: 04-26-2014, 10:09 PM
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 PM.