- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 16
- Part 3:
I have an old book by Pat Parrelli that was published by Western Horsemand in the '90s. There's some useful stuff in there. I don't know much about his new stuff, though. Buck Brannaman is also good. John Lyons has some good stuff as well.
- Part 2:
- get the horse used to the bridle, and responding to the bit (warm the bit up with your hands first, and don't do this if it's -20 C).
- ground driving
- pony with another horse, if you know someone that has a well-broke horse who could do this for you. Alternately, you might want to saddle her, lead her to the corral fence, and climb the fence, so she gets used to seeing you above her. But I wouldn't suggest jumping on her at this point.
- get her used to being groomed, having her feet picked up, etc..
- eventually tying her up. This is one of the last things I do, as I want the horse to really understand that it needs to yield to pressure at all times. I only leave the horse tied for short periods at first, and I'm always there in case it gets into trouble. You probably know this, but make sure you use a quick release knot, and only tie to something very solid, like a post. Don't use a corral panel.
- Hi Breezy,
I'm north of Battleford. I've been riding this winter, when it hasn't been too cold, so I'm sure you can do groundwork. Just make sure the footing isn't icy, and don't sweat your horse up, as she could catch a chill when she cools down. I also wouldn't work her too much in really deep snow, as it might be hard on her joints at that age (I don't know that for a fact, but just guessing).
I don't know what you've already done, but I usually do the following:
- round pen/lunge lining
- yielding to pressure with the halter, then later with a bridle.
- desensitizing, with the goal to get the horse to control its fear and trust me, rather than get it used to everything that could possibly scare it.
- lots of saddling and unsaddling. She should stand still, without being tied, eventually.
- very pretty filly you have there. thanks so much for remembering me. i did leave a few suggestions.. but me and showing was so long ago.and at such a limited amount i really have no idea about todays horse shows. trimming ear hair. leg hair is part of it too. hmmm. good luck. ill try to talk to some of my friends that show horses and have them drop you a line.. merry christmas. ride safe. wellfor you.show safe.. lol
- its going pretty good.full winter here in montana. been out riding the last few days. got called out to do some wolf hunting so i got some snow plowing through with my young mare and managed to slide down a few mountains.. but was good.. glad to hear its going so well for you. thats so wonderful. keep me posted. i love hearing about it..take care.ride safe.. and happy holidays
- About Breezy2011
- Saskatchewan Canada
- Horses and Photography and more horses!
Showing Friends 1 to 1 of 1
|iTrader Profile||Recent Ratings|
- aforred liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Rider "Cocky-ness" and a "Know It All" AttitudeI wouldn't call myself one now, but yes... I once was, my answer to everything was 'I know' but since I have fallen off many times in my years of riding and have taken my hits with horses, and even...Liked On: 05-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Posted On: 05-16-2013, 09:54 PMRivendellNative liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : First Fall :/Don't worry, everyone will fall off every now and again... riding a horse is not just about knowing how to stay on, but how to fall off also. Just last Monday I was riding a horse at my job and I was...Liked On: 05-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Posted On: 05-05-2013, 08:14 PMChevaux liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Trailer Loading... Help!Thanks! Breeze has settled in nicely, we actually had her playing with 3 of the horses in the big arena today, and by herself in the arena today and she was great, by herself she had a great time,...Liked On: 05-03-2013, 01:02 AM
Posted On: 05-02-2013, 10:27 PMGreat News!!! Breeze is moved safe and sound! This morning I finally convinced my boss to let her ride loose in the trailer, after tying her to the trailer tie, and her breaking the halter (we...Liked On: 05-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Posted On: 05-01-2013, 09:54 PMI guess not! We are on the #45 by the lake deifenbaker fairy. Its weird how we have good roads and no flooding, when a lot more of saskatchewan is flooding, evacuating and no travel recomended.Liked On: 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Posted On: 04-30-2013, 05:47 PMdeserthorsewoman liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Anything I need to know about...Thanks Guys!!! You are all helpful, I think I will talk to my boss about just putting the lowest in the pecking order with her first, letting them out in the pasture or whatever after a few days, and...Liked On: 04-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Posted On: 04-25-2013, 12:27 PMcountryryder liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Yearlings of 2012This is Breeze... as a 2012 yearling... she is 2 now (I believe, not sure) but this pic is of her as a yearling......Liked On: 04-23-2013, 09:19 PM
Posted On: 04-22-2013, 04:06 PMMerlot liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Yearlings of 2012This is Breeze... as a 2012 yearling... she is 2 now (I believe, not sure) but this pic is of her as a yearling......Liked On: 04-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Posted On: 04-22-2013, 04:06 PMMuppetgirl liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Update: Exercising HorsesNow it is official! I start work next Saturday! Right now I am working on weekends, until the snow clears up a little bit. My official duties are: -Riding a lesson horse, getting him tuned up....Liked On: 04-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Posted On: 04-05-2013, 11:15 PMboots liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Update: Exercising HorsesThanks you guys! It is now almost official. I talked to the lady over the phone, and I am going to meet her, and her horses this week! I might even be able to learn to ride english! This job is...Liked On: 04-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Posted On: 04-03-2013, 09:42 PMLaffeetaffee liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Update: Exercising HorsesI decided to start a new post, about exercising horses Okay, well, I got an email from a Horse Trainer up in Northern Saskatchewan. She is 5 and a half hours away from me, but we are making it...Liked On: 04-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Posted On: 04-03-2013, 03:04 PMSkyseternalangel liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Update: Exercising HorsesI decided to start a new post, about exercising horses Okay, well, I got an email from a Horse Trainer up in Northern Saskatchewan. She is 5 and a half hours away from me, but we are making it...Liked On: 04-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Posted On: 04-03-2013, 03:04 PMxoxosalem liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Sunbleached?I have a black horse who gets sun bleaches, I am going to try a new suppliment called SmartDark & Handsome. It is for Black horses, bays, and brown horses. It is suppose to restore the faded colour...Liked On: 04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Posted On: 04-03-2013, 03:29 PMHoratio liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Update: Exercising HorsesI decided to start a new post, about exercising horses Okay, well, I got an email from a Horse Trainer up in Northern Saskatchewan. She is 5 and a half hours away from me, but we are making it...Liked On: 04-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Posted On: 04-03-2013, 03:04 PMcountryryder liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Breeding my Paint mareI think those are some good reasons to breed. I know there are a lot of people on here that will try and talk you out of a foal. It is your decision... not anyone elses. I don't know any studs to...Liked On: 03-31-2013, 01:24 AM
Posted On: 03-27-2013, 08:02 PM
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:56 PM.