- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 16
- Part 3:
I have an old book by Pat Parrelli that was published by Western Horsemand in the '90s. There's some useful stuff in there. I don't know much about his new stuff, though. Buck Brannaman is also good. John Lyons has some good stuff as well.
- Part 2:
- get the horse used to the bridle, and responding to the bit (warm the bit up with your hands first, and don't do this if it's -20 C).
- ground driving
- pony with another horse, if you know someone that has a well-broke horse who could do this for you. Alternately, you might want to saddle her, lead her to the corral fence, and climb the fence, so she gets used to seeing you above her. But I wouldn't suggest jumping on her at this point.
- get her used to being groomed, having her feet picked up, etc..
- eventually tying her up. This is one of the last things I do, as I want the horse to really understand that it needs to yield to pressure at all times. I only leave the horse tied for short periods at first, and I'm always there in case it gets into trouble. You probably know this, but make sure you use a quick release knot, and only tie to something very solid, like a post. Don't use a corral panel.
- Hi Breezy,
I'm north of Battleford. I've been riding this winter, when it hasn't been too cold, so I'm sure you can do groundwork. Just make sure the footing isn't icy, and don't sweat your horse up, as she could catch a chill when she cools down. I also wouldn't work her too much in really deep snow, as it might be hard on her joints at that age (I don't know that for a fact, but just guessing).
I don't know what you've already done, but I usually do the following:
- round pen/lunge lining
- yielding to pressure with the halter, then later with a bridle.
- desensitizing, with the goal to get the horse to control its fear and trust me, rather than get it used to everything that could possibly scare it.
- lots of saddling and unsaddling. She should stand still, without being tied, eventually.
- very pretty filly you have there. thanks so much for remembering me. i did leave a few suggestions.. but me and showing was so long ago.and at such a limited amount i really have no idea about todays horse shows. trimming ear hair. leg hair is part of it too. hmmm. good luck. ill try to talk to some of my friends that show horses and have them drop you a line.. merry christmas. ride safe. wellfor you.show safe.. lol
- its going pretty good.full winter here in montana. been out riding the last few days. got called out to do some wolf hunting so i got some snow plowing through with my young mare and managed to slide down a few mountains.. but was good.. glad to hear its going so well for you. thats so wonderful. keep me posted. i love hearing about it..take care.ride safe.. and happy holidays
- About Breezy2011
- Saskatchewan Canada
- Horses and Photography and more horses!
|iTrader Profile||Recent Ratings|
- Red Gate Farm liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Yearling problem?He is gaining weight now at a steady pace it seems, and his ribs are slowly going away. He has access to hay all the time, as they get fed round bales of grass/alfalfa mix. I have started to feed a...Liked On: 09-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Posted On: 09-10-2014, 01:32 AMHe is gaining weight now at a steady pace it seems, and his ribs are slowly going away. He has access to hay all the time, as they get fed round bales of grass/alfalfa mix. I have started to feed a...Liked On: 09-10-2014, 09:12 AM
Posted On: 09-10-2014, 01:32 AMstevenson liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Yearling problem?I have also used quest plus, which is meant for tape worm. I have taped him for height, but didn't think to tape him for weight. I will be sure to do that. He is 14.3 hh right now and is 14 months...Liked On: 09-10-2014, 01:25 AM
Posted On: 09-10-2014, 01:12 AMOkay! So, I will be going to call the vet tomorrow (Monday) and I plan to get her to come out, hopefully sometime this week, and do a general check up on Dusty. I will get her to take blood (if...Liked On: 09-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Posted On: 09-07-2014, 08:41 PMegrogan liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Ways to Make Money as a TeenThanks guys, great ideas! Yes, there is one store in town, just a 2 minute walk down the street, which is gas station/restaurant/convenience store/post office. I can post a flyer there, but I don't...Liked On: 09-04-2014, 08:18 PM
Posted On: 09-04-2014, 07:56 PMsmrobs liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Fat or healthy weight?Thanks everyone. I may just give her a little extra feed throughout the fall and winter, to mix her minerals in. My other horse, a yearling, needs the extra stuff, so I will feed them together. I can...Liked On: 09-03-2014, 10:03 PM
Posted On: 09-03-2014, 07:06 PMChange liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : 2011 Model Horses.This is my 2011 filly, I got her as a yearling... so unfortunatly no baby pics, and she is grade purebred QH. I have saddled and bridled her, but have not got on yet. She is smaller and finer...Liked On: 08-17-2014, 02:36 AM
Posted On: 10-27-2013, 04:52 PMojzab liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Training my first coltOP I am 17 years old, not that much older then you. Because of this, I cannot offer that much advice to you, as others with loads more years and experience can, but I will try. First, let me say that...Liked On: 08-12-2014, 11:05 PM
Posted On: 08-12-2014, 06:31 PMtinyliny liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Training my first coltOP I am 17 years old, not that much older then you. Because of this, I cannot offer that much advice to you, as others with loads more years and experience can, but I will try. First, let me say that...Liked On: 08-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Posted On: 08-12-2014, 06:31 PMNotanequestrian98 liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Training my first coltOP I am 17 years old, not that much older then you. Because of this, I cannot offer that much advice to you, as others with loads more years and experience can, but I will try. First, let me say that...Liked On: 08-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Posted On: 08-12-2014, 06:31 PMCynical25 liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Expected to be?I get your point, and I will not let it happen again until I am 100% confident in Breeze, when she is a well broke horse, and not just green. I am in need of getting Breeze's teeth floated. I am...Liked On: 08-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Posted On: 08-07-2014, 05:32 PMstevenson liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Horse Feed Expiration DateThanks, I am going to try to use them up as fast as I can, but I also don't want my horses to get fat! I am hoping though, the minerals will help my yearling with his coat and his weight (he is...Liked On: 08-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Posted On: 08-01-2014, 07:26 PMtexasgal liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Our Yearlings of 2013!This is my new grullo gelding, he will be 1 year old in about 9 days. I brought him home yesterday. ...Liked On: 07-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Posted On: 04-27-2014, 10:40 PMChevaux liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Wylene Wilson ClinicThe clinic will be in Swift Current, at the agribition and exhibition grounds. I am only a couple hours away. Wylene does have a website, it gives a little info on her technique and stuff. I do...Liked On: 07-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Posted On: 07-05-2014, 09:30 PMKigerQueen liked post by Breezy2011 On thread : Trying to determine if my colt is going to stay palominoIf both parents are palomino, you have a palomino, as the only other colour possibility is a chestnut, and your foal doesn't look like a chestnut to me.Liked On: 05-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Posted On: 05-14-2014, 01:06 PM
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:59 AM.