- User Lists
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 76
- You should talk to Diane. She might want to do a lesson prior to see where she would fit best. We took them out alone. My hubby and I walked with her while she rode. Twist was really good. Two things startled her: a plastic bag, and a bird that dive bombed her butt. The bag was 2 quick shuffle steps, the bird was a butt tuck and a small leap forward. For some reason she's a target for birds. She's been dive bombed 3 times in a month! I am going to start borrowing one of Diane's horses to take her. We have a place that doesn't need shoes, and is about 2 miles away. We walked for 2 hours. It's mild, but has hills, pastures, dikes, water, and ghosts...it's a former mental hospital! It's fun.
- Most of the kids close to her age would be in the 1st intermediate camp. Not much experience on the trail course, kind of a mix between loping and learning to lope, but they do a lot of arena trail course stuff. The last camp at the end of July is spent out of the arena most of the time, reining, cow work, trail course, etc. but most of it is done without walls in the hay field. It's really a combo of the kids and horses. It depended on what horse we got what camp she would be in. Also, the last camp needs the horses to know the groundwork that we do since the kids do some of the Clinton Anderson Advanced stuff too.
We took Twist on a trail ride this weekend, and through the trail course yesterday and she never reacted to anything. She's a really good girl.
- My daughter will be in the last camp because she's been riding out there for 4 years, and her horse is even more advanced than some of the older girl's horses. She hasn't ridden with kids her age for a while. I have mixed feelings. She rides with much better riders, but she rides and spends her time with a bunch of high school girls...I don't need that attitude any sooner.
- I'd love for her to bring reining to the county! We're working hard, but being fought off. She'll do some low key shows for now. She started her lesson with pretty, show horse stuff, did some reining spin stuff, then ended running the barrels. The horse never once got hot, and just went with the flow. LOVE this horse. She's amazing. You should talk to Diane...she has a camping trailer on her property, she might consider letting you guys camp out. You should totally talk to her about it.
- Well, it's certain now we're starting reining. We went to a show in Lynden last weekend and watched and she's hooked. Our trainer is totally on board for changing directions in her training too. She did a flying lead change yesterday while running the pattern too. It was pretty cool to watch.
- The show was absolutely exhausting. It was probably foolish of me to let her go but when I suggested that we cancel she said "no Mom, we can do it" and went ahead and got everything ready, packed and loaded. I did nothing to get ready. I had a tough time pulling the plug after that. She did well, but there were only 3 kids showing. She got 1st in equitation and bareback, 2nd in showmanship and trail, and 3rd in pleasure. I'm just thankful she stayed on in pleasure. Both horse and rider had pretty much fallen apart and it was a very rough go. Daughter was worn out and getting stressed which went right into the horse. The horse wanted to GO and broke into a canter about 3 times and then when it was time to line up the stinker decided to spook and jump sideways halfway across the arena!! My daughter stayed on as if she expected it - completely balanced! She was really frustrated but I was really proud of her.
- About newhorsemom
- pacific northwest
- Kids, horses, skiing, biking
- mom to kids and critters
|iTrader Profile||Recent Ratings|
- kitten_Val liked post by newhorsemom On thread : Lost my friend and devastated...I'm very sorry for your loss. Pets are family and they hold a special place in our hearts. We have lost both our dog and our cat within the last year (9 months apart) due to kidney failure. They...Liked On: 05-13-2013, 07:49 AM
Posted On: 05-11-2013, 10:04 AMhorsekat liked post by newhorsemom On thread : Is It Okay To Keep One Horse Alone?I think it depends on the horse. We moved our horse about 3 weeks ago and she is now alone. Well, almost alone - the neighbors have 2 horses that she can visit with over the fence. I was very...Liked On: 02-13-2013, 07:44 AM
Posted On: 09-16-2009, 12:02 AMMHFoundation Quarters liked post by newhorsemom On thread : Are your kids into horses?Is my kid into horses? My daughter is the reason we have a horse! The kid lives for it. We keep our horse a mile or so from our house and it is all self care. We are there every morning before...Liked On: 01-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Posted On: 01-25-2013, 12:04 AMFlyGap liked post by newhorsemom On thread : Are your kids into horses?Is my kid into horses? My daughter is the reason we have a horse! The kid lives for it. We keep our horse a mile or so from our house and it is all self care. We are there every morning before...Liked On: 01-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Posted On: 01-25-2013, 12:04 AMwalkinthewalk liked post by newhorsemom On thread : Mare shaking her headWe actually sedated the horse to float her teeth and decided that it would make the most sense to look in her ears after she was sedated. She came to us with "ear sensitivity" and we have worked a...Liked On: 01-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Posted On: 01-25-2013, 11:37 AMThunderspark liked post by newhorsemom On thread : Can a horse live on hay alone?Thank you for all of the replies. Sounds like I don't really need to change anything in Lily's diet right now. I certainly don't want her to get too plump or too thin and I think she is good where...Liked On: 10-24-2012, 12:08 AM
Posted On: 09-19-2009, 10:49 AMuflrh9y liked post by newhorsemom On thread : Critique for my DaughterWow! She has come a long way in a year! She is really turning into a nice rider. You must be a very proud mom. :DLiked On: 10-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Posted On: 10-10-2012, 12:51 AMCOWCHICK77 liked post by newhorsemom On thread : Horse peeing during classes! Help!Maybe it's nerves. Our horse used to pee EVERY time she was in the cross ties. She came to us like that and has now gotten much better but still goes on occasion. Does he do this mostly in the...Liked On: 10-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Posted On: 10-02-2012, 01:18 PMWell then it looks like we're twins - LOL!! Yes that is our Arab mare, my daughters best friend. She is absolutely the best horse and it seems like everywhere we go people fall in love with her,...Liked On: 07-12-2012, 03:44 PM
Posted On: 07-12-2012, 02:52 PMWelcome from another mom! I too have an 11 yo daughter and a 9 yo son. The daughter is completely horse crazy and the son is not the least bit interested in it. Unfortunately he hates the shows...Liked On: 07-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Posted On: 07-12-2012, 10:24 AMGolden Horse liked post by newhorsemom On thread : Putting dog down - are we doing the right thing???We are taking her to the vet. The vet told us that we could all be there or that we could leave her with them. They even said that if we want to be there but change our mind at the last second that...Liked On: 06-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Posted On: 06-29-2012, 10:02 AMEagle Child liked post by newhorsemom On thread : Putting dog down - are we doing the right thing???We are taking her to the vet. The vet told us that we could all be there or that we could leave her with them. They even said that if we want to be there but change our mind at the last second that...Liked On: 06-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Posted On: 06-29-2012, 10:02 AMnewbierider liked post by newhorsemom On thread : I did it!!Finally. I did it! I towed the trailer WITH a horse inside! My daughter was at a show over the weekend and my husband was at home so it seemed absurd that he drive 45 minutes to the show only to...Liked On: 05-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Posted On: 04-30-2012, 09:46 AMKoolio liked post by newhorsemom On thread : Mothers, daughters and horsesBought my daughter a horse the day before she turned 7 after a couple of years of riding lessons. Kept the mare for free at a barn and after a year it wasn't working out well so we moved her about a...Liked On: 05-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Posted On: 05-02-2012, 09:52 AMFowl Play liked post by newhorsemom On thread : Mothers, daughters and horsesBought my daughter a horse the day before she turned 7 after a couple of years of riding lessons. Kept the mare for free at a barn and after a year it wasn't working out well so we moved her about a...Liked On: 05-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Posted On: 05-02-2012, 09:52 AM
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 AM.