Don't know what to do :(
Okay this is going to be somewhat long haha..
Due to finances and job loss I am having to sale Rain, I need money. And not only that but she is to tall for me and we have never actually bonded. And I don't get the enjoyment out of riding as I used to. I am an ex-barrel racer and I think I am just burned out on riding and want to point my "horse life" in a different direction. I already have plans of showing Arrow.
Well my fiancee has decided to support Arrow as I can't stand to loose them both.
Well a guy has offered me a trade. My mare for his Reg. black and white 4 year old Mini Stallion and $400.00 The mini has had kids on him and will load, bathe, pick his feet up and all that. He is adorable. My fiancee said that the $400 could go to me for some of my bills and he would take care of Arrow and the new mini if that's what I chose to do. (He thinks it would be cheaper to take care of two mini's instead of a mini and a 16hh horse).
First thing, I would make sure his family and Rain were a good match before I completely decided on anything. And IF I get the little guy he would be gelded ASAP. I don't want a stud and I think there are already plenty of unwanted horses without taking on the responsibility of having a another stud to chance on making more unwanted babies. So you don't have to tell me this I have already decided that.
Here's what they told me as far as why they are getting rid of him.
Well.. The stallion isn't "his". They had bought him for their son. They guy who wants to trade, they all own and ride big horse. But the son wanted a Mini. After they got the mini for him, he lost interest. So they told me if they were going to be feeding a horse they want one they can ride. They bought the mini when he was 2 and he has been standing in the field since then, except when they play with him with the kids.
Oh and he was shown halter as a 2 year old before they bought him. They also said he has never bred any mares and they only have him on a two strand 1 acre paddock.
The guy also agreed that if we did trade, he would do all the hauling (He lives 2 hours from me) and possibly pay to have him gelded :)
I don't really know what to do, so if anyone could give me any advice that would be great..
**Also some people have told me in the chat that they wouldn't do it because it isn't any fun not having a horse to "ride" but my brother lives right across the road from me and has several horses at all times, so if I ever feel that "need" to ride I can always ride one of his.**
Thanks so much in advance :)
Blue Eyed BLY~ 2/3/03
Calico Sonny Stockman x She's On Cloud Nine