Founder
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Miniature Horses

Founder

This is a discussion on Founder within the Miniature Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category
  • Limanitus in mini ponys
  • I have a horse whom is fondered. Is it good to put a grazing muzzle on him?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-21-2012, 05:47 PM
  #1
Foal
Founder

Ok so I know it's easy for minis to founder. I brought my mini home two days ago. He was on pasture so I thought nothing of moving him to my pasture. THen I got to thinking. His pasture was short grass and mine is tall with probably more to eat. Should I be worried about him foundering? I have no stall to put him in to take him off the pasture.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-21-2012, 06:02 PM
  #2
Teen Forum Moderator
Yes. Its easy for miniatures to founder, and its probably not a good idea to let him graze even half of the day in a rich field. Some options you could look at if you don't have a stall though, are either a) creating a sacrifice or 'dry' lot where you put him for most of the day (doesnt have to be big, 1/2-1 acre would be fine) and turn him out for 2 hours or so a day. Or you could buy him a grazing muzzle and have him wear it 24/7 so that he has to really work to get grass.

I'd also make sure to educate myself on signs of founder and watch him for them.
     
    05-21-2012, 06:12 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku    
Yes. Its easy for miniatures to founder, and its probably not a good idea to let him graze even half of the day in a rich field. Some options you could look at if you don't have a stall though, are either a) creating a sacrifice or 'dry' lot where you put him for most of the day (doesnt have to be big, 1/2-1 acre would be fine) and turn him out for 2 hours or so a day. Or you could buy him a grazing muzzle and have him wear it 24/7 so that he has to really work to get grass.

I'd also make sure to educate myself on signs of founder and watch him for them.
How do you create a "dry lot"? Would it hurt him to wear a grazeing muzzle 24/7?
     
    05-21-2012, 06:27 PM
  #4
Teen Forum Moderator
Its actually pretty simple. Just mow down the grass as short as you can in that fenced off area and turn him into it. Within no time he'll of trampled the grass roots and nothing will grow there anymore. I would advise in putting down something to keep it from getting really muddy though if you get rain a lot, and you'll most likely have to suppliment him with a little hay and/or grain.

If the muzzle fits well and you check it often to make sure he isnt getting skin rubbed off/and its breathable, no- it should not hurt him ^^
     
    05-21-2012, 06:52 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku    
Its actually pretty simple. Just mow down the grass as short as you can in that fenced off area and turn him into it. Within no time he'll of trampled the grass roots and nothing will grow there anymore. I would advise in putting down something to keep it from getting really muddy though if you get rain a lot, and you'll most likely have to suppliment him with a little hay and/or grain.

If the muzzle fits well and you check it often to make sure he isnt getting skin rubbed off/and its breathable, no- it should not hurt him ^^

Ok thanks =) I'll have to head to the feed store hopefully today and pick one up. AFter it stops raining I think I'll make him a dry lot of his own.

What would you advise putting down? We get LOTS of rain.
     
    05-21-2012, 06:57 PM
  #6
Teen Forum Moderator
Hmmm. Gravel isnt really a good idea, because it can get lodged in feet. Rubber tire pieces is one idea that I've heard of frequently in our area. I'm no expert though so you might try asking on the other parts of the board for some advice on that
     
    05-22-2012, 05:03 PM
  #7
Foal
I was able to put hot wire around the outside of the covered area we have. It's about 20 ft x 25-30ft. For now. I just need a couple sunny days to mow down an area for him. The past 3 days it's been raining supper hard =/
     
    05-22-2012, 05:16 PM
  #8
Teen Forum Moderator
Sounds like you're well on your way then! Good for you. That area is a bit small, so you might want to invest in a grazing muzzle as well so that he can be turned out for most of the day, then be brought into your little area at night and have the muzzle taken off. After all, its always best for a horse to be able to move around as much as possible! :)

And I know how it is, believe me! Its been pouring rain around here, and our dry lot is a soupy mess!
     
    05-22-2012, 05:44 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku    
Sounds like you're well on your way then! Good for you. That area is a bit small, so you might want to invest in a grazing muzzle as well so that he can be turned out for most of the day, then be brought into your little area at night and have the muzzle taken off. After all, its always best for a horse to be able to move around as much as possible! :)

And I know how it is, believe me! Its been pouring rain around here, and our dry lot is a soupy mess!
Yeah I know it's small but it's only till I can get him a grazing muzzle or till I get the dry lot set up. I can't get him a muzzle till the first but it's supposed to stop raining friday. I will be taking him for a walk/trot later though to get his jumpies out some.
     
    08-07-2012, 12:20 AM
  #10
Foal
My pudgette grazes 3 hours on very short grass and muzzled the rest of the day. Endiku is correct, if the muzzle fits correctly they is no harm, no rub marks. I do bring it in the house no less than once a week to give it a good washing. Dirt and stuff gets in there (especially after the horse takes a drink) and can get pretty stinky. Our muzzle is just the muzzle with 4 velcro straps that attach to the nose and chin band. The velcro can make pull marks on the halter so I leave the muzzle on a single halter so she wears halter one for those 3 hours of grazing and then remove it and put on halter two with muzzle. Trust me she makes a fuss and yells at me and pouts and it took me a long time to convince myself to "not feel sorry for her". Having here peeved at me is much better than the worry or reality of founder.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Founder equiniphile Hoof Care 6 12-12-2011 08:18 PM
founder kimmyd01 Horse Nutrition 1 06-26-2011 08:35 AM
Founder paintluver Horse Health 3 05-22-2011 03:16 AM
Founder? trutxcntrygrl Horse Health 7 06-26-2009 08:42 PM
Founder........................................... . Velvetgrace Horse Health 11 06-26-2009 08:40 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0