To my dismay, last week I noticed quidded hay in his stall. This time there was no dental work involved or anything else out of the ordinary. From then on, every day he has gotten worse until once again he is unable to chew and swallow his hay, even though he tries very hard. He is still able to graze, though grazing appears to be becoming more difficult as well. It has been very dry here. My pasture is very small and not very good; my horses are primarily hay-fed (the other two are having no problems nor did they last year). Since this occurred almost to the day from the problem last year, I now am thinking time-of-year-related toxins/allergies but I can find no information online that fits his symptoms.
Does anyone have any experience with something similar?
THE ABOVE WAS POSTED ON THE HORSE NUTRITION FORUM - I DID NOT REALIZE THERE WAS A SPECIAL FORUM FOR MINIS.
UPDATE: My vet thinks that yes, it is probably an allergic reaction to something and yesterday we started him on hydroxyzine. This morning his grazing was much better than it was yesterday evening, and he was able to swallow mouthfuls that yesterday he would have spit out. Still cannot eat hay and is very sloppy eating his pellets. But at least he is able to get some food intake.