New Mini...need some quick advice - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Horse Breeds, Breeding, and Genetics > Horse Breeds > Miniature Horses

New Mini...need some quick advice

This is a discussion on New Mini...need some quick advice within the Miniature Horses forums, part of the Horse Breeds category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-12-2009, 08:42 PM
      #11
    Weanling
    A mini should never be ridden by an adult. Our mini that we just purchased was "Broke to ride" and do you know who broke her to ride? A 180 lb man. He even demonstrated for us when we went to see her and she buckled under his weight. They are not physically built for somebody to ride. They are driving animals, not riding animals. You should invest in a pony. Oh and here is a pic of sarah and her bad back because of "pleasure riding" from that man and his children, now she's scared to death of kids and men. You notice she is butt high from being broken in and rode by large children. A mini should never be broken in.. and if you continue to ride yours and your cousin as well.. yours will look like her eventually too.

         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-12-2009, 08:52 PM
      #12
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mountainhorse44    
    A mini should never be ridden by an adult. Our mini that we just purchased was "Broke to ride" and do you know who broke her to ride? A 180 lb man. He even demonstrated for us when we went to see her and she buckled under his weight. They are not physically built for somebody to ride. They are driving animals, not riding animals. You should invest in a pony. Oh and here is a pic of sarah and her bad back because of "pleasure riding" from that man and his children, now she's scared to death of kids and men. You notice she is butt high from being broken in and rode by large children. A mini should never be broken in.. and if you continue to ride yours and your cousin as well.. yours will look like her eventually too.


    My THREE year old cousin who weighs about 35/40lbs? Yeah. I don't think he can do that much damage.
         
        09-12-2009, 08:58 PM
      #13
    Weanling
    Im just saying.. I would invest in something larger, rather then a mini. There are plenty of horse breeds that come in small sizes. Halflingers are great, some qh come small 13.0 hands and up, even gaited breeds like twh's and rockies come in small sizes around 13-14 hands. Quarter Ponies are good. They are small. Welsh Ponies are pretty much small horses and are great with children. Icelandics too.
         
        09-12-2009, 08:58 PM
      #14
    Weanling
    I'm curious as to why you bought an un-broke 4yr old mini for a toddler..
         
        09-12-2009, 09:00 PM
      #15
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AztecBaby    
    I'm curious as to why you bought an un-broke 4yr old mini for a toddler..
    That, as they say, is the million dollar question, huh?
         
        09-12-2009, 09:01 PM
      #16
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mountainhorse44    
    Im just saying.. I would invest in something larger, rather then a mini. There are plenty of horse breeds that come in small sizes. Halflingers are great, some qh come small 13.0 hands and up, even gaited breeds like twh's and rockies come in small sizes around 13-14 hands. Quarter Ponies are good. They are small. Welsh Ponies are pretty much small horses and are great with children. Icelandics too.
    Don't forget the good ol' mutt pony
         
        09-12-2009, 09:07 PM
      #17
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AztecBaby    
    I'm curious as to why you bought an un-broke 4yr old mini for a toddler..
    Because of the fact that breeders think their "broke" minis are worth $7000.

    And I am willing to take whatever time it needs to make this mare safe for my cousin. If she is not capable to be ridden, then we will simply let her out in the pasture with my retired gelding.

    And, we saved her from going to a kill auction. That is really the MAIN reason she was bought, but I figured that with a little work and effort my cousin could ride her.

    I'm new to minis. I don't know everything about horses. I'm only fifteen. So, instead of just saying stuff like:
    "You are going to hurt her back!" and all of that nonsense, how about giving me different ways to make her safe. My cousin is under 70lbs. I read the AMHA website. I now realize that me riding her today was not safe. But instead of complaining, how about giving me advice so that I can actually learn something instead of leaving this site mad.

    I read up on a sandbag idea. Placing the saddle on the minis back, and adding small sand bags(10-15lbs) or so on the saddle to get her used to a little weight. Does that sound plausable?
         
        09-12-2009, 09:34 PM
      #18
    Banned
    HEY HEY HEY!!!! This thread is already ending up like the last one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough is enough. She is asking for advice not your snippy critcizim!!!! Everyone needs to LAY OFF!!! How do you expect a 3 yr old to understand ground rules!!!!??? Hmm???? Second id rather see a girl ride or sand bags(great idea) then see a 3 yr old get hurt, killed, or permently disabled!!!! What would you rather see??
         
        09-12-2009, 09:40 PM
      #19
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HorsesHorses08    
    HEY HEY HEY!!!! This thread is already ending up like the last one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough is enough. She is asking for advice not your snippy critcizim!!!! Everyone needs to LAY OFF!!! How do you expect a 3 yr old to understand ground rules!!!!??? Hmm???? Second id rather see a girl ride or sand bags(great idea) then see a 3 yr old get hurt, killed, or permently disabled!!!! what would you rather see??
    I would rather see her get a small pony that is built to carry a person's weight more naturally.
         
        09-12-2009, 09:42 PM
      #20
    Started
    Lol. I would have never even thought about getting on her if I knew it was THAT bad. I'm sorry.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Need quick advice! xpyrrohs Horse Tack and Equipment 5 03-16-2009 10:37 PM
    Quick: Need Advice missy06 Horses for Sale 3 10-03-2008 08:13 PM
    Not sure what to do....need some quick advice :( LONG free_sprtd Horses for Sale 6 11-18-2007 10:16 PM
    Need Advice ...quick! hanse004 Horse Riding Critique 6 05-08-2007 11:21 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:35 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0