going thru with threat - Page 7
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Natural Horsemanship

going thru with threat

This is a discussion on going thru with threat within the Natural Horsemanship forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree106Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-24-2013, 12:37 PM
      #61
    Green Broke
    Wow, totally better! Not perfect, but who's is, lol. I did not see the aggression I saw in the first one. Good job! You seem more confident also! I am sure he senses it! Just keep him doing what "YOU" want him to do until you decide otherwise.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-24-2013, 03:00 PM
      #62
    Super Moderator
    Yes, better.

    Make your inner circle (the three tires) a bit larger, and allow yourself to actually walk a very small cirlce within it. You are almost spinning on your "inside" foot, which is practically planted in teh middle, as the outside foot steps around it. Becuase, I see you stepping backward, just astep, but it's still a body language that is uncertain and invites the hrose to think "slow" or "turn to the center", when you are trying to drive him forward.

    When he doesn't canter at the 2nd time asking, "fall apart". Get really serious and smack the ground witht he whip hard enough it makes noise, and take a step toward his middle. Be VERY sure you do not step into his kicking range, but the forward push of your body and the increased whip action should push him to leap into a canter smartly. Then the next time, just a slightly raised whip and voice will do it.

    When he is going well, lower the whip so it's almost dragging on the ground. Raise it for commands, and lower it when the horse answers correctly.

    Upward transitions use an upward going voice, "Can-ter^" and downward, a falling voice "Tee- rot,"
         
        04-24-2013, 04:41 PM
      #63
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaydee    
    From your riding he looks like a really tolerant horse - you are a self admitted novice and he actually doesn't take advantage of that
    Your lunging was a lot better. I'd still like to see you be more purposeful when you lead him in - give him more direction rather than allowing him to wander wherever he pleases
    People use different cues - this is what works for me
    Whooooa - drawn out sound, voice low but insistent means slow down to halt
    Stand - means stand
    Walk on - Clipped with emphasis on the 'K' means walk on
    Trot on - Clipped, lively, encouraging - a bit like the action of the trot
    Canter - I draw out the 'ter' bit and make the sound similar to the movement of canter
    I also use Back & Over
    I do talk to reassure a horse if needed and also other X rated stuff when they piss me off but too much chat can be confusing and cause them to lose concentration in the learning stages
    You've learnt how to use the 'bad boy' voice and he understood that
    Try to reserve the 'Good boy' for when he earns it.
    If he goes into a gait on his own - no 'good boy' and insist he goes back to what he'd been asked for and then give him the 'good boy'
    I do use a 'clicking' sound as an 'alert' sometimes but rather not rely on it for cues because its a total pain in the ass when you're out on a trail or in a show ring and people are clicking their horses and yours thinks its his/her cue to do something.


    Saying good boy is a habit for me lol, in that video that was the best I've lunged and him!!!!

    I was so happy when I got the 2nd turn right!!!!!omg first time ever!
         
        04-24-2013, 04:42 PM
      #64
    Yearling
    lungeing

    Your horse is showing a threaterning posture you must send him forward and keep his impultion going.
    I noted you did.
    The other think which would benifit you as your lungeing in a paddock of loveley grass is a muzzle for your horse its a great peice of equipment to have that will be an attention geter as he can't eat or bite and he has to work on the lunge.
    The other thing I must say is keep your lunge line looped as your geting tangled there if the horse drops in to the circle use your wip crack it.
    I know you should not hit your horse with a lunge wip but one small strike may make him think again.
    Or if he charges charge back and he should retreat quite rapidley.
    And crack the wip as well.
    Try thoes and I think youll be on to a winner with your horse and don't for get to reward him for his good work.
         
        04-24-2013, 04:47 PM
      #65
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinyliny    
    Yes, better.

    Make your inner circle (the three tires) a bit larger, and allow yourself to actually walk a very small cirlce within it. You are almost spinning on your "inside" foot, which is practically planted in teh middle, as the outside foot steps around it. Becuase, I see you stepping backward, just astep, but it's still a body language that is uncertain and invites the hrose to think "slow" or "turn to the center", when you are trying to drive him forward.

    When he doesn't canter at the 2nd time asking, "fall apart". Get really serious and smack the ground witht he whip hard enough it makes noise, and take a step toward his middle. Be VERY sure you do not step into his kicking range, but the forward push of your body and the increased whip action should push him to leap into a canter smartly. Then the next time, just a slightly raised whip and voice will do it.

    When he is going well, lower the whip so it's almost dragging on the ground. Raise it for commands, and lower it when the horse answers correctly.

    Upward transitions use an upward going voice, "Can-ter^" and downward, a falling voice "Tee- rot,"
    ohhh, I noticed I do it for walk LOL
    Ill do that when lunge today,

    I think I was caught up and excited that I got his second turn right, and he never played up!
         
        04-24-2013, 04:53 PM
      #66
    Weanling
    Yup I totally aggree with nagging....1 thing I could of made lunge line abit longer
    And I was trying to get him to look at me, altho he was listening you can see that by his ears, but he kept looking away
         
        04-24-2013, 05:04 PM
      #67
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelvanessa    
    your horse is showing a threaterning posture you must send him forward and keep his impultion going.
    I noted you did.
    The other think which would benifit you as your lungeing in a paddock of loveley grass is a muzzle for your horse its a great peice of equipment to have that will be an attention geter as he can't eat or bite and he has to work on the lunge.
    The other thing I must say is keep your lunge line looped as your geting tangled there if the horse drops in to the circle use your wip crack it.
    I know you should not hit your horse with a lunge wip but one small strike may make him think again.
    Or if he charges charge back and he should retreat quite rapidley.
    And crack the wip as well.
    Try thoes and I think youll be on to a winner with your horse and don't for get to reward him for his good work.
    how do you keep it in a loop without it wrapping over ur hand?

    Id do carots as a treat but he's a nipper so I've stopped the carots to discourage nipping, I tried carot excercisers but took me 5 mins to get him to stop looking for more carots lol


    He is a great horse, and is very very tolerant and patient with me

    The lady who was attempting NH on him when he was rearing was constantly waving the end of rope at his ear and annoying him, he's never reared me on longe he usually stops or pin ears, that's why im so happy with my last lunging that there was none of this, altho the start was iffy, but turned good afterwards
         
        04-24-2013, 05:10 PM
      #68
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvr2many    
    Wow, totally better! Not perfect, but who's is, lol. I did not see the aggression I saw in the first one. Good job! You seem more confident also! I am sure he senses it! Just keep him doing what "YOU" want him to do until you decide otherwise.
    thankyou so much:)!, I made sure I left it on a good note, altho did feel like more then 5 minutes LOL

    I still got more consisenty to work on, I really should of got up his butt when he refused to canter

    But I was so wrapped up that he was being good that I didnt relise that he wasnt being good as he was refusing to canter lol

    And I have a habit of saying goood boy lol which is great, but it needs to be warrented, I asked canter he only trotted and I said good boy! Blah LOL
    nvr2many likes this.
         
        04-24-2013, 05:17 PM
      #69
    Weanling
    Is the licking of the chops at the end, a good sign, or was he processing everything he did wrong? Lol
         
        04-24-2013, 05:25 PM
      #70
    Super Moderator
    The licking is a sign of a horse being relaxed - though mine also do it after eating something nice!!!
    Don't loop the lunge line around your hand but fold it up and feed it through as you need, - how can I say this - into bunches? I usually have the end in one hand and the folded section in the other, I'm sure someone else has a better word for what I mean
    It all feels like a complicated juggling trick at present but you will get there
    Lay off the carrots for a while - you have enough to deal with getting his respect but later on address the issue if you do want to use treats - avoidance isn't a cure for the problem. You can always give him a tasty snack in his stable or a bucket when he's finished work and been brushed over etc - and then do the whole praise thing
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Threat of lawsuit hkfarms Horse Law 26 09-22-2012 10:25 PM
    Help! Excessive urine a threat to my board!? MicKey73 Horse Health 53 09-15-2011 12:17 PM
    Lightning threat...real or not? Beauseant Horse Health 14 06-26-2011 07:08 PM
    Death threat given to duke travlingypsy Other Pets 13 04-16-2009 12:10 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0