Help/Advice with NH
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Natural Horsemanship

Help/Advice with NH

This is a discussion on Help/Advice with NH within the Natural Horsemanship forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Buck brannaman forum site:www.horseforum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-05-2009, 04:17 PM
  #1
Foal
Question Help/Advice with NH

I am looking at starting to do Natural Horsemanship with a 2 year old shetland pony. Since I have been spending more time with him, he has calmed down a bit.
I have been looking at videos on youtube and reading about NH but I would like to know if any one has any good advice and wheres the best way to start?

Sorry about my spelling, but I now live in Portugal and I have forgotten some english spelling


Jessica x
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-05-2009, 05:37 PM
  #2
Started
Hi! I think it's great you are looking into doing things more naturally with your pony. I personally love the Parelli program, so you could go to www.parelli.com and look over their website and learn more about it. They just released their new Levels program and are running a special right now (I believe it's still active).
     
    12-05-2009, 05:48 PM
  #3
Weanling
There are many different NH trainers. I would look around and find the one that suites you best. Good luck!
     
    12-05-2009, 05:56 PM
  #4
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirithorse    
Hi! I think it's great you are looking into doing things more naturally with your pony. I personally love the Parelli program, so you could go to www.parelli.com and look over their website and learn more about it. They just released their new Levels program and are running a special right now (I believe it's still active).

He's not my pony, wish he was :P
But anyway, I will take a look at the website.
Thank you
     
    12-05-2009, 05:56 PM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonhorse01    
There are many different NH trainers. I would look around and find the one that suites you best. Good luck!
Okay. Thanks
     
    12-05-2009, 06:14 PM
  #6
Started
There are lots of "name brands" of NH that are popular here in the US... here's a short list, most of these trainers have home study systems that are fairly readily available online, or used via eBay.

In no particular order, except maybe most publicized:
Pat and Linda Parelli
Clinton Anderson
Julie Goodnight
Chris Cox
John Lyons
Dennis Reis

Also, I highly recommend reading some of the "old time" masters of what came to be known as NH: Tom Dorrance, Ray Hunt, etc. These guys provide fantastic insight into the whys of training, above and beyond the step by step processes that often focus on method and results.

As Crimsonhorse said, there are tons of NH trainers out there, do your homework and figure out which one suits you, the horse, and your goals.

Good Luck!
     
    12-05-2009, 06:42 PM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutrider    
There are lots of "name brands" of NH that are popular here in the US... here's a short list, most of these trainers have home study systems that are fairly readily available online, or used via eBay.

In no particular order, except maybe most publicized:
Pat and Linda Parelli
Clinton Anderson
Julie Goodnight
Chris Cox
John Lyons
Dennis Reis

Also, I highly recommend reading some of the "old time" masters of what came to be known as NH: Tom Dorrance, Ray Hunt, etc. These guys provide fantastic insight into the whys of training, above and beyond the step by step processes that often focus on method and results.

As Crimsonhorse said, there are tons of NH trainers out there, do your homework and figure out which one suits you, the horse, and your goals.

Good Luck!
Im certainly going to read about them
Thank you
     
    12-06-2009, 05:38 PM
  #8
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutrider    
Also, I highly recommend reading some of the "old time" masters of what came to be known as NH: Tom Dorrance, Ray Hunt, etc. These guys provide fantastic insight into the whys of training, above and beyond the step by step processes that often focus on method and results.


Good Luck!
Before you look at any of them read Think Harmony with Horses by Ray Hunt and True Unity by Tom Dorrance. Then take a look at Brian Nuebert and Buck Brannaman they have spent a lot of time with Ray Hunt and Tom Dorrance and have the best grasp of the why with the ability to demonstrate and teach the how as well.
     
    12-09-2009, 09:29 AM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
Before you look at any of them read Think Harmony with Horses by Ray Hunt and True Unity by Tom Dorrance. Then take a look at Brian Nuebert and Buck Brannaman they have spent a lot of time with Ray Hunt and Tom Dorrance and have the best grasp of the why with the ability to demonstrate and teach the how as well.
Okay.
Thanks
     
    12-09-2009, 11:15 PM
  #10
Foal
I'm new to this group but not to NH. I agree with kevinshorses. Those are great books. I just found a great place to rent horse DVD's called Giddyupflix. It's a good way to see which people you like before investing tons of money.
     

Tags
advice, natural horsemanship

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need some advice!! -xx-sally-xx- Horse Trailers 10 06-27-2009 02:42 AM
Advice? White Foot Horse Riding 8 06-11-2009 01:37 PM
4 y/o advice. White Foot Horse Training 12 06-11-2009 01:00 PM
i need advice C-Bear Horse Breeds 15 07-02-2008 11:02 AM
Need Advice To Give Advice browneyedcowgirl13 Horse Training 10 06-06-2008 12:20 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0