Liberty and groundwork
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Natural Horsemanship

Liberty and groundwork

This is a discussion on Liberty and groundwork within the Natural Horsemanship forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • What is a liberty bond with horses
  • Liberty groundwork for horses

Like Tree10Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-27-2013, 10:25 PM
  #1
Foal
Liberty and groundwork

Hi I would like to start doing groundwork with my gelding on a consistent basis I just don't know where to start any ideas?? I just want to bond with him and understand him and he understand me so that when we ride were better connected if ya know what im saying. I would like the groundwork to be similar to what Clinton Anderson teaches lunging,backing,sidepassing ect..

My other question is liberty how do I start teaching my horse this my ultimate goal is to do liberty with him any hits or advice is appreciated.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-27-2013, 10:57 PM
  #2
Showing
To start the bonding process, put him in a paddock, remove his halter. Grab a book and chair and go sit and read. You can put some hay near your feet. Do not attempt to interact with him. This is his time to check you out if he choses. When a person is reading, the horse knows you're not thinking of it and this seems to invite them closer. That is the first step. Do this 3 or 4 times.
JazzyGirl likes this.
     
    10-27-2013, 11:28 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
To start the bonding process, put him in a paddock, remove his halter. Grab a book and chair and go sit and read. You can put some hay near your feet. Do not attempt to interact with him. This is his time to check you out if he choses. When a person is reading, the horse knows you're not thinking of it and this seems to invite them closer. That is the first step. Do this 3 or 4 times.
really if never herd of this?? Me and my horse already have quite a bond I've known him 2 almost 3yrs. Now and just recently bought him the lady who previously had him was very rough and hit him a ton so he's developed bad qualities he's a real sweet horse I just wanna recreate our bond and I want to restart with with him. He is 22 yrs. Old but I just want him to relearn somethings in a nicer not so rough way I don't want him to fear me or anyone else.
     
    10-28-2013, 02:12 AM
  #4
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocIsMyPony    
Hi I would like to start doing groundwork with my gelding on a consistent basis I just don't know where to start any ideas?? I just want to bond with him and understand him and he understand me so that when we ride were better connected if ya know what im saying. I would like the groundwork to be similar to what Clinton Anderson teaches lunging,backing,sidepassing ect..

My other question is liberty how do I start teaching my horse this my ultimate goal is to do liberty with him any hits or advice is appreciated.

Are you riding him now? And how's it going? You cannot teach your horse groundwork unless you know some yourself, first. So, if you choose to watch videos and such, your first goal is to teach yourself. I don't mean to be discouraging, but it's hard to teach something while learning it at the same time.
     
    10-28-2013, 06:27 AM
  #5
Yearling
Clinton Anderson has a book called Establishing Respect it is relatively inexpensive and will give you some ideas for starting groundwork, but he also explains why being your horses leader and gaining his respect is important. You can also go to giddyupflix.com (I think that's the name of the website) and rent training videos to watch and learn how to do what you want to do. As far doing liberty you must first gain your horses respect, teach him the basics on the ground and he has to have a good draw to want to stay with you.

Or your other option might be to find a trainer who can help you learn what you want to learn.

Groundwork is important and teaching your horse from the ground gives you a great foundation for riding. It is also a skill you carry with you to every horse you ever own, or handle for the rest of your life.
EmilyJoy and DocIsMyPony like this.
     
    10-28-2013, 07:40 AM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
Are you riding him now? And how's it going? You cannot teach your horse groundwork unless you know some yourself, first. So, if you choose to watch videos and such, your first goal is to teach yourself. I don't mean to be discouraging, but it's hard to teach something while learning it at the same time.
Yes I ride him now and he's wonderful I've done extensive research as well as watched many clinics,videos ect.. I just need a place to start.
     
    10-28-2013, 07:50 AM
  #7
Foal
0918131821_01.jpeg
0918131821k_01.jpg

Here's some pictures of me riding him idk maybe you notice something I can change or whatever any constructive critique is appreciated.
     
    10-28-2013, 03:29 PM
  #8
Weanling
Listen to what the others say about groundwork, they have great ideas. But for constructive critique? Put your heels down. It'll create a much nicer picture.
     
    10-28-2013, 07:07 PM
  #9
Trained
Constructive criticism.... a helmet?? Yes, I am a mother! Heels down, feet forward, unless you're actively wanting to yield his HQ or such. And practice riding more with your seat & less with your reins. If he's doing as you ask, loosen the reins.

Groundwork? Yes, very good idea. Depends what you want out of it & what you & he already know as to where you'd start. So if you don't know what he knows, I'd start at the very beginning.

I think just hanging out with your horse is valuable too - as Saddle suggests, you can take a book or something else, to do in his presence, or you can just be there & ask nothing of him.

As for doing 'stuff' on the ground with him to further your training, I think the principles of Parelli's '7 Games'(do they still teach this the same? Maybe go for older stuff...) is invaluable for both horse & human to understand. It is the same sort of approach as CA(I think differences between them are mostly about personality). It will give you the basic foundation to do whatever you want with him on the ground or under saddle... or harness.

As for liberty, get really good at everything else first, get him *reliably* able to be ridden without having to touch your reins before considering doing away with them... in a controlled environment... wearing a helmet.
     
    10-28-2013, 11:26 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosie    
Constructive criticism.... a helmet?? Yes, I am a mother! Heels down, feet forward, unless you're actively wanting to yield his HQ or such. And practice riding more with your seat & less with your reins. If he's doing as you ask, loosen the reins.

Groundwork? Yes, very good idea. Depends what you want out of it & what you & he already know as to where you'd start. So if you don't know what he knows, I'd start at the very beginning.

I think just hanging out with your horse is valuable too - as Saddle suggests, you can take a book or something else, to do in his presence, or you can just be there & ask nothing of him.

As for doing 'stuff' on the ground with him to further your training, I think the principles of Parelli's '7 Games'(do they still teach this the same? Maybe go for older stuff...) is invaluable for both horse & human to understand. It is the same sort of approach as CA(I think differences between them are mostly about personality). It will give you the basic foundation to do whatever you want with him on the ground or under saddle... or harness.

As for liberty, get really good at everything else first, get him *reliably* able to be ridden without having to touch your reins before considering doing away with them... in a controlled environment... wearing a helmet.
Haha yes I ride him without a helmet but I like what you said many times I have just gone out there to brush him and let him graze no riding or lunging he bonds with me and will follow me like a dog everywhere I've just been told since he has a stubborn streak its not possible for him to learn groundwork or do liberty and because of his age as well.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What groundwork should I still do with him? jingojewel Horse Training 9 06-28-2012 08:58 AM
Groundwork HorseGirlFive Horse Training 5 06-16-2012 09:58 PM
Does anyone here do liberty? Fargosgirl Natural Horsemanship 25 04-22-2012 07:39 PM
Groundwork... What exactly is it? Britt Horse Training 12 02-27-2009 12:02 AM
groundwork? Nita Horse Training 20 11-14-2007 09:51 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0