Which Method Do You Use?

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Natural Horsemanship

Which Method Do You Use?

This is a discussion on Which Method Do You Use? within the Natural Horsemanship forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Lynn henry pat perelli

LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Which Method Do You Use?

I have heard of several different methods of natural horsemanship. I've heard of Join Up (Monty Roberts), Parelli (Pat Parelli), and Think Like a Pony (Lynn Henry).

Are there any that I'm missing?

Which one do you use?

Does it work?
Sponsored Links
    05-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Well there is Clinton Anderson and a couple more that I don't know their names.

I do Parelli with my horses

    05-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Does Parelli actually work?
    05-29-2010, 04:51 PM
You're probably missing at least a dozen. Any of them work IF you do them correctly and consistently. If you make mistakes with them then they won't work nearly as well. That is the major problem with the DVD trainers. Knowing how is not enough. You need to know why and figure out when and when can differ from horse to horse. I like Ray Hunt and Buck Brannaman. Ray is dead now but he is the creator of the horse "clinic". They did not exist until he started doing them. Buck is a no-nonsense cowboy from Montana. He doesn't sell a catalog full of specialty crap and there is no DVD course that you can do to get a worthless certificate.
    05-29-2010, 04:51 PM
It sure does
    05-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by AngelWithoutWings54    
Does Parelli actually work?
It always does for Pat but your results will vary.
    05-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Hmm.... have to agree with Kevin here it has worked for me but there has been alot of wrong done through people doing parelli wrong towards their horse but as in most equestrian disciplines and such it is best to have an instructor to help you.

    05-29-2010, 05:03 PM
I do Parelli and YES it does work! :) If you dedicate yourself to learning and EMULATING what Pat does and how he thinks, your results will be phenominal.
    05-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Have to agree with what Spirithorse said too if you do it correctly it will work for you
    05-29-2010, 05:34 PM
I use whatever works best for my horse :)

Seriously, if you try to pigeon hole and fit your horse into a single program and NEVER deviate, you're going to be a horseman with very limited skills. If you can adapt, take a step back and go "okay, lets try THIS...." then you're going to learn more. It might all be hit-or-miss type learning, but I think that's the best kind.

If theres one thing that I don't like about Parelli (not bashing just reflecting) its that there are only four personalities that a horse can posess. Sure, most horses will fit into one category 99% of the time, but what about the other 1%? Then you're left scratching your head saying "well that's not right". Its like trying to evaluate someones personality based on their astrological sign....generalizing can only get you so far before you hit a wall.

I agree with kevin, I've read some of Buck Brannaman's stuff and I like what he has to say. He's certainly not as charismatic as Clinton Anderson or some of the others, but he's not out to sell any DVD's either.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Home Training Method WhiskeyGirl Horse Training 28 04-01-2010 05:51 AM
The Quarter Method Scoutrider Horse Showmanship 10 03-18-2010 10:38 PM
What is the TAP method kevinshorses Horse Training 49 12-02-2009 11:51 PM
best method to help your horses balance? Jacksonlover English Riding 14 12-13-2008 04:16 AM
catching the horse the HOZ method hoz Horse Training 0 07-21-2007 12:38 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0