Parelli or not? - Page 4 - The Horse Forum
 191Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 218 Old 03-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Washington state
Posts: 312
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by herdbound View Post
The only thing I like about PP is the TIME he emphasizes you put into your horse. He has creative ways to get you to spend TIME with your horse. The more TIME you spend with your horse the better both of you will be ;) Doesnt matter what system you use...it's the TIME you invest in your horse that will have the pay off in the end.
AMEN! Very well said.
Take the time it takes and it will take less time.
GreenBackJack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 218 Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 993
• Horses: 2
Nope, it is not just time spent, but what you do with that time.-
I had a friend who was a big PP follower. Spent a Lot of time with her horse. She was quite wealthy and had retired young, and would spend hours with her horse every day. A Lot of that time was spent sitting with him in the stall, 'bonding' with him on an 'emotional' level. Lots of grooming. A fair amount circling the horse with a 'carrot stick', and a very small amount of time riding, as the horse was quite unpredictable under saddle.-
At the time I was able to go to the barn 3 or 4 times a week, for about an hour or two each time. My horse was young, a bit spooky in traffic, and tended to bolt. I would tack up, and spend most of my time in the saddle.-
After about 6 months, my horse was sane in traffic, and a good all around trail horse. Her horse was much cleaner than mine, and generally quite barn sour.-
Now please let me emphasize, I am Not Joe Horsetrainer, I just like to use as much common sense as I posess. She probably spent about 3x the hours with her horse as I did with mine.-
True, I was half her age, and a confidant rider. But if she had taken 1/3 of those hours and invested in a decent trainer, her horse could have been as good as or probably better than mine. So it is more than just time, definitely.-
-
That being said, I did not even hear of Parelli until I had about 10 years of riding (starting at age 16) under my belt. Thought he had some fine concepts. What soured me was how intelligent people would turn into blind disciples who thought Parelli was some sort of god and that every other method was wrong. -
If you want to learn about NH, I say go ahead. But remember to keep an open mind, learn about other methods, and know that Nobody knows it all.
MacabreMikolaj and COWCHICK77 like this.
Skipsfirstspike is offline  
post #33 of 218 Old 03-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 334
• Horses: 0
I am a firm believer that you can learn new things (even if they are negative) from every experience with horses or people. That being said, I am not a PP fan. Largely in part from experiences I have had with a young lady pursuing her PP certification. I don't want to go into too much detail, but her horse recently developed a habit of rearing and falling over. I wonder if it has something to do with him being an arabian and wearing a tie down in combo with being straight reined in a curb bit, or if maybe it was her excessive use of spurs? Hmmm... Egos get in the way of horsemanship.
RoosHuman is offline  
post #34 of 218 Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 478
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post
Bill Dorrance's book, "True Horsemanship Through Feel" says that a person who's interested in becoming a horseman must have a LOT of time (and he adds that most people don't have the time that it takes).
Yep. Just like any relationship time is the most important thing and unfortunately in this day and age we just don't have the time needed. I feel sorry for horses that spend most of their time stuck in a stall then get yanked out when the owner grabs a spare hour or two on the weekend and it acts up or is difficult and the horse somehow gets blamed for it. It would be like your husband working all week, scheduling you in for a 2 hour date on Saturday night...dictating what your going to do (which happens to be something HE likes to do) and then him whirling off as soon as it's over and expecting you to feel fulfilled in the relationship. It is a relationship. Just spending time with your horse helps both of you get to know and understand what is expected out of each other.
herdbound is offline  
post #35 of 218 Old 03-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 478
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipsfirstspike View Post
I had a friend who was a big PP follower. Spent a Lot of time with her horse. She was quite wealthy and had retired young, and would spend hours with her horse every day. A Lot of that time was spent sitting with him in the stall, 'bonding' with him on an 'emotional' level. Lots of grooming. A fair amount circling the horse with a 'carrot stick', and a very small amount of time riding, as the horse was quite unpredictable under saddle.-
At the time I was able to go to the barn 3 or 4 times a week, for about an hour or two each time. My horse was young, a bit spooky in traffic, and tended to bolt. I would tack up, and spend most of my time in the saddle.-
After about 6 months, my horse was sane in traffic, and a good all around trail horse. Her horse was much cleaner than mine, and generally quite barn sour.-
Now please let me emphasize, I am Not Joe Horsetrainer, I just like to use as much common sense as I posess. She probably spent about 3x the hours with her horse as I did with mine.-
I agree saddle time is the best thing for a horse to "learn" from. Ground work is great...BUT it is not the end all. I would say if you broke it down...maybe 10% having quiet bonding/fun time... 20% groundwork and 70% saddle work break it down to what I do with my horses. I understand what you are saying maybe I should have been more clear in how I said it. I was trying to say if you get a horse and stick it in a stall and show up once a week and pull it out and expect it to be perfect, unless you are really blessed, thats not going to work out. They need to get out, excercise, get their minds stimulated and if you can do that with them it does help you bond.
herdbound is offline  
post #36 of 218 Old 03-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 141
• Horses: 0
I think that the best kind of horsemanship is the kind where nothing is ruled out. Of course I don't like the whips etc. type of training, I still believe that whatever works for you and that particular horse is the best kind. So Parelli might be great for one person and then awful and not work at all for the next. I don't think that is a problem with Parelli though, I think I all depends on the horse.

Ask not what your horse can do for you, but what you can do for your horse.
EmilyRosie is offline  
post #37 of 218 Old 03-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,083
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by herdbound View Post
Yep. Just like any relationship time is the most important thing and unfortunately in this day and age we just don't have the time needed. I feel sorry for horses that spend most of their time stuck in a stall then get yanked out when the owner grabs a spare hour or two on the weekend and it acts up or is difficult and the horse somehow gets blamed for it. It would be like your husband working all week, scheduling you in for a 2 hour date on Saturday night...dictating what your going to do (which happens to be something HE likes to do) and then him whirling off as soon as it's over and expecting you to feel fulfilled in the relationship. It is a relationship. Just spending time with your horse helps both of you get to know and understand what is expected out of each other.
I couldn't get any farther than this in updating on the new posts. To compare my relationship with my horse with that of my husband is about the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. When my horse starts writing the checks and paying to keep my DH, maybe the horse will get the "vote" on what we do on our "dates". I love my horses, really I do, but they do not have human feelings. That is a MAJOR mistake. They are animals, and pets. THe thought o a horse needing to "be fulfilled" in a relationship....????" REALLY?

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
post #38 of 218 Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 141
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
I couldn't get any farther than this in updating on the new posts. To compare my relationship with my horse with that of my husband is about the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. When my horse starts writing the checks and paying to keep my DH, maybe the horse will get the "vote" on what we do on our "dates". I love my horses, really I do, but they do not have human feelings. That is a MAJOR mistake. They are animals, and pets. THe thought o a horse needing to "be fulfilled" in a relationship....????" REALLY?
I don't know if I would go as far as using a comparison as a husband, but I get and agree with the basis of what herdbound is saying. Horses do have feelings and they need constant attention, not just when we feel like it. I also though don't think that is what the original poster was saying.

Ask not what your horse can do for you, but what you can do for your horse.
EmilyRosie is offline  
post #39 of 218 Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 478
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
I couldn't get any farther than this in updating on the new posts. To compare my relationship with my horse with that of my husband is about the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. When my horse starts writing the checks and paying to keep my DH, maybe the horse will get the "vote" on what we do on our "dates". I love my horses, really I do, but they do not have human feelings. That is a MAJOR mistake. They are animals, and pets. THe thought o a horse needing to "be fulfilled" in a relationship....????" REALLY?
Lol if you read any of the stuff I ever write on hear you will know I hate when people "humanize" horses...I think it ruins them. I used that because its the only relationship I know that would explain being unfulfilled with your partner...I do believe it is a relationship...it has its own dynamics though....I was just using a relationship people would understand to illustrate my point. Thats all :)
EmilyRosie likes this.
herdbound is offline  
post #40 of 218 Old 03-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
If I tried to play all the stupid games with any of my horses they would want to kill me. They are bred to work and that is what they want and love to do.

Playing games or just fidling is not in their make up. The bond I have with all my horses I would put up against any bond out there. We under stand each other they love to work and even more work for me.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
help me! , horse , natural horsemanship , parelli

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parelli Hackamore/Parelli Collection clothing snootyfox Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 12-11-2011 11:48 AM
Anti-parelli. This proves it! Parelli is a rip off and... Nature2horses Natural Horsemanship 3 03-16-2010 11:43 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome