Parelli-positive thread - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Natural Horsemanship

Parelli-positive thread

This is a discussion on Parelli-positive thread within the Natural Horsemanship forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • 7 games of parelli dvd
  • My horse doesnt like the friendly game

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-23-2011, 05:29 PM
  #11
Weanling
Yay!

So does anyone want to explain the seven games to me or point me to a clear video of someone doing and explaining the seven games.?

I have looked all over youtube and all I can find is people doing them but not explaining them

I tried the friendly game with my mare but she got very mad when I tried to touch her udders. I do not want to attempt that again any time soon but I know you cannot progress the games until you complete them properly so how do I get her to trust me?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-23-2011, 08:12 PM
  #12
Weanling
Quantam savvy does a good job describing it simply. Their word for parellis "friendly game" is "no yield contact". That's where you do something with the horse like swinging a rope around your horse and expect the horse to standstill & relax, and not yield from (or push into) that pressure. Next game being the "contact yield' ("purcupine game") that's where you want the horse to yield to pressure it can feel. Like pressure on the reins/seat/legs and on the ground picking up their feet and anything that involves steady pressure on the horse. Then there's "no contact yield" ("driving game") this is where you want the horse to yield from more rythmic pressure that doesn't necessarily have to physically touch the horse, any kind of "suggestive" pressure. An example of this is a lunge whip.

Those are the basic parelli games, the rest are just combining some of those basics to achieve purposes like what most would call lunging ("circle game", excersize and learning to maintain gait & direction), pushing the horse sideways ("sideways game", good for flexibility) "squeezing" the horse between 2 scary objects, usually the human and another big object, while expecting him/her not to get claustrophobic and rush ("squeeze game", good for self confidence in the horse)

The other game is the one in the middle called the yo-yo game, one "yo" being forward movement and the other "yo" being backward movement. Priorities of the yo-yo game are getting equal sensitivity to forward and backward aids, and depending on which "yo" you consistently finish on, it builds more go than whoa, or more whoa than go in the horse. Great for horses that are "hard to rein in" or horses that need constant nagging to go forward. Next priority being straightness, the point of that is that when our horses are going forward or backwards we want exactly that, minimum lateral movements, good for horses that constantly bend to one direction and not the other.

Despite what the parelli's say, horses don't play these 7 games with eachother. I have yet to see horses play the circle game or the sideways game in a herd situation. Horses only play the first 3 games with eachother (friendly/no yield, porcupine/contact yield, driving/no contact yield)

Basically.
     
    02-23-2011, 08:28 PM
  #13
Weanling
First I have to commend you in the amount of time you take to help others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher    
despite what the parelli's say, horses don't play these 7 games with eachother. I have yet to see horses play the circle game or the sideways game in a herd situation. Horses only play the first 3 games with eachother (friendly/no yield, porcupine/contact yield, driving/no contact yield)
Basically.
I know it sounds crazy but some of mine do in fact play circling, yo-yo, sideways, and squeeze. I've only ever seen circling once but I actually did see it. My warmblood and draft play sideways and my warmblood likes to squeeze one of the quarterhorses - he seems to enjoy it! They do that quite regularly.
     
    02-23-2011, 08:49 PM
  #14
Showing
I hope the Mods won't mind my opinion being voiced here. I hope I don't sound too crazy.
The Horse Forum is made up of a lovely, diverse equine community, but we seem to hold certain values at our core. For example, we are largely a "snaffle community" (with a few exceptions) - whereas some other communities completely advocate using as much bit as possible to get the horse to listen to you. While we are a moderated forum, we are still allowed our own opinions and I guess my concern is that if we start having "positive only" threads, we might get into somewhat of a censorship problem. Please don't read this as my attacking anyone on here, but rather a comunity member voicing my concerns. We are a diverse community and we have lots of (sometimes heated) discussions. We have areas where people may find their niches, but we cannot always avoid conflict - two horse people, three opinions, as one might say.
I hope you guys don't mind my posting, but I do have concerns about these types of threads popping up, where our voices might be censored - an example coming to mind of "nice comments only about my breeding pair" in the Breeding section, or "positives only about X training method." Again, we are a diverse community, and we have a wealth of knowledge between the thousands of HF members. There's a reason behind a lot of our opinions.
Hope you understand my position.
     
    02-23-2011, 09:34 PM
  #15
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDressageIt    
I hope the Mods won't mind my opinion being voiced here. I hope I don't sound too crazy.
The Horse Forum is made up of a lovely, diverse equine community, but we seem to hold certain values at our core. For example, we are largely a "snaffle community" (with a few exceptions) - whereas some other communities completely advocate using as much bit as possible to get the horse to listen to you. While we are a moderated forum, we are still allowed our own opinions and I guess my concern is that if we start having "positive only" threads, we might get into somewhat of a censorship problem. Please don't read this as my attacking anyone on here, but rather a comunity member voicing my concerns. We are a diverse community and we have lots of (sometimes heated) discussions. We have areas where people may find their niches, but we cannot always avoid conflict - two horse people, three opinions, as one might say.
I hope you guys don't mind my posting, but I do have concerns about these types of threads popping up, where our voices might be censored - an example coming to mind of "nice comments only about my breeding pair" in the Breeding section, or "positives only about X training method." Again, we are a diverse community, and we have a wealth of knowledge between the thousands of HF members. There's a reason behind a lot of our opinions.
Hope you understand my position.
While I understand and agree. This thread was started for one simple reason. There are so many other threads that all opinions are given good bad or indifferent. This thread started to give people a place where they could discuss PP and/or NH without worry that it will turn into a big debate. We have many other threads that will give all sides. SO this one is just for people to talk about NH/PP without a big debate starting.

If you see something here that you wish to debate please start a new thread.
     
    02-26-2011, 02:24 PM
  #16
Green Broke
I actually had a friend lend my the 7 Games DVD and I rather enjoyed it. I think that Parelli is good for promoting working with your horse on the ground, something SO many people don't do and end up with brilliant upper level Dressage horses that are pushy dangerous MONSTERS on the ground. I actually purchased the initial kit when Zierra was injured this weekend as something to do to keep her mind active. Even though I'm not really following it right now, I have to say, I LOVE that halter and leadrope!

It also helped me work through some attitude problems she was having on the ground. I would love to do more, but I actually found it a BIT difficult to follow because unless you're watching a TV and working at the same time, it can be hard to remember everything! I would actually love to have a session with a Parelli coach, just to get some hands on insight as to the things I'm doing right or wrong.
     
    02-26-2011, 02:34 PM
  #17
Trained
I love playing the yo-yo game with gypsy ! Its really cool because I can get her to walk up to me step by step and have a lot of control over her body. She used to be really stubborn about backing up. I could hardly get her to back on the ground. Once she got really good on the ground I noticed a lot of progress with her backing undersaddle. I didnt back her undersaddle for a few months because we were focusing on other things [she was not good at it anyways, very slow and crooked] now she will back up immediately and very straight.
     
    02-26-2011, 03:44 PM
  #18
Green Broke
The 7-games is just basic ground work set up in a "fun" way that more people can understand & perform because he's made it a "game" lol. Some games may seem silly to certain people, but this is stuff that we all do with horses each day.
The Squeeze Game teaches a horse to go into small spaces without exploding which later helps with loading & standing quietly in a trailer without wanting to rush out the moment the door opens.
The Yo-Yo game teaches a horse to come & go away from you which helps alot if you want a horse to back in or out of a trailer & of course follow you ;)

I really like his way of "longeing" much better than the traditional way because it focuses on working the horse's mind & not his body. I've seen highstrung horses worked this way for only a minute or two become calm & collected much quicker & more effectively than running the horse in mindless circles trying to burn off the engery. The way I see it, if the horse is calm and focused in his mind then his body will be calm.
     
    02-26-2011, 06:10 PM
  #19
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilruffian    
I really like his way of "longeing" much better than the traditional way because it focuses on working the horse's mind & not his body. I've seen highstrung horses worked this way for only a minute or two become calm & collected much quicker & more effectively than running the horse in mindless circles trying to burn off the engery. The way I see it, if the horse is calm and focused in his mind then his body will be calm.
i don't really do the circling thing because regular lunging works so well with my mare and I don't really understand the circling game that well....maybe you [or someone else] could explain it in more detail. I have never seen it done besides on videos and for some reason I just can't understand it [i don't have any parelli dvds btw...]

Correct lungeing is not running the horse mindless trying to burn energy. A trainer suggested I do that with my mare if I ever want to show her in hunters... really ? No way.
     
    02-26-2011, 06:13 PM
  #20
Trained
I do not lunge any of mine. Never have had a need for it past the first few rides on a green youngster.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parelli Progress Thread Spirithorse Natural Horsemanship 95 09-09-2010 07:04 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0