Parelli? Your Thoughts? - Page 13
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Natural Horsemanship

Parelli? Your Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Parelli? Your Thoughts? within the Natural Horsemanship forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree7Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-13-2009, 09:42 PM
      #121
    Green Broke
    SpiritHorse Im SOOO glad your on this forum! !
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-13-2009, 09:51 PM
      #122
    Yearling
    ^^ I agree ...I think that she is a prime example of "doing Parelli" the right way and she understands the concepts very well. IMO, she could be a willing Parelli student's mentor...: )
         
        10-13-2009, 09:56 PM
      #123
    Started
    Awww thanks guys! :)
         
        10-13-2009, 11:18 PM
      #124
    Trained
    Quote:
    But I ask myself, "How many of those ways are good for the horse?"
    And again, we see the attitude that alienates so many from Parelli. Those who do things differently aren't doing the right thing by their horses.
         
        10-13-2009, 11:46 PM
      #125
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wild_spot    
    And again, we see the attitude that alienates so many from Parelli. Those who do things differently aren't doing the right thing by their horses.
    I have to agree with this. You say your horse meets you 1/2 way and perks up. Heck every horse I own except my 29yo broodmare meets me at the gate ready to put their head in their halter. Not a rope halter but a regular old nylon halter. They are more then willing and eager to go to work. They have great work ethics. I can pull any one of them including my stallion out of the pasture even after a year of not riding toss a saddle on and do any thing with them. From the show horses to the greenies. They except the saddle with out having to be presented with the blanket and saddle before hand. They eat the bit with out being asked. They love to work they love to go and show. They have proven in front of their peers that they know their job and do it well. There is a tangible result for their training.

    There is no one right or wrong way to train a horse. What I find off about a lot of the off the shelf trainers is that the people who get into all of that stuff seem to get off track in some ways. I have no problem with people who want to work with and train their horses. I start all mine and once they are done showing with the trainer I maintain them and show them myself. However for me. The proof is in the pudding so to speak. I want to see with an unbiased eye by some one who is accredited in my discipline to evaluate what my horse can do. I understand that not everyone wants that. However when it comes down to it that is the only way do evaluate your horse against anouther horse in that event and then down the road prove it. So for me as a breeder I find that very very important. Again if all you wish to do is ride. Then this might not be important. Have fun and enjoy. Just know that down the road if you need to find a new human for your horse he/she might now work every well for them.
         
        10-14-2009, 12:42 AM
      #126
    Green Broke
    I only present the saddle to my horse to be like hey im putting this on your back now... rather then just hauling it up there with out warning.... I want her to know exactly what going on her. I like to interact with my horse instead of having her just stand there like a bump on a log while I do all these things to her! She loves it as well, she will touch and sniff and try and mouth everything and idc because its her exploring and seeing whats what. See if she was being mean and pushing me around or using her teeth all of it would be stopped right then but shees very careful with what she does.


    Do you know how many horses I've seen when given the chance to smell and see and touch teh saddle are AFRAID of it.. and even though they have had it put on there back for who knows how many years! Its sad.
         
        10-14-2009, 10:31 AM
      #127
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wild_spot    
    And again, we see the attitude that alienates so many from Parelli. Those who do things differently aren't doing the right thing by their horses.
    Where did I say everyone else is wrong? I didn't. I said there are ways that are not good for the horse, and ways that are pretty good for the horse, I just see some holes and choose not to follow. People like Denis Reis and John Lyons. I have a lot of respect for both of them, they really love their horses and their horses love them back, but their systems seem incomplete to me. But that doesn't mean I say that they aren't out there trying to make the world better for horses. It just means I chose to follow someone else because it feels complete.
         
        10-14-2009, 10:41 AM
      #128
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HorsesAreForever    
    I only present the saddle to my horse to be like hey im putting this on your back now... rather then just hauling it up there with out warning.... I want her to know exactly what going on her. I like to interact with my horse instead of having her just stand there like a bump on a log while I do all these things to her! She loves it as well, she will touch and sniff and try and mouth everything and idc because its her exploring and seeing whats what. See if she was being mean and pushing me around or using her teeth all of it would be stopped right then but shees very careful with what she does.


    Do you know how many horses I've seen when given the chance to smell and see and touch teh saddle are AFRAID of it.. and even though they have had it put on there back for who knows how many years! Its sad.
    Absolutely. It's always a good idea to allow your horse to sniff the pad and saddle before throwing it up there. It's asking the horse's permission. It's the difference between tolorance and acceptance.
         
        10-14-2009, 11:25 AM
      #129
    Trained
    I am not a PP follower, but my horses still willing ACCEPT the saddle. If it's sitting the fence they all go up and play with it, pulling on the straps etc.

    My training methods are a little bit of everything from some NH on to common sense. My horses all wait at the gate for me. Actually when I'm riding on the other riding horses all stand at the fence waiting for their turn. They enjoy being worked because I always make it enjoyable for them with out using strictly PP methods.

    Truly I have no issues with his training methods, but they way he goes about things. I also strongly dislike the way his followers try to shove it down my thoart and tell me what I'm doing wrong, I never tell any PP followers that what they are doing is wrong.

    I have to agree with every single word that NRHAreiner said.
         
        10-14-2009, 11:42 AM
      #130
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spirithorse    
    Where did I say everyone else is wrong? I didn't. I said there are ways that are not good for the horse, and ways that are pretty good for the horse, I just see some holes and choose not to follow. People like Denis Reis and John Lyons. I have a lot of respect for both of them, they really love their horses and their horses love them back, but their systems seem incomplete to me. But that doesn't mean I say that they aren't out there trying to make the world better for horses. It just means I chose to follow someone else because it feels complete.
    See that is just it. You are following his system. To me that is just like following a cult. There are many ways to train a horse and keep it happy and willing to work. Why limit yourself to one type of training. To me NH is a great way to train. However once you put a price tag on it and say this is how you must do it and set a program you fall off the reservation.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    YOUR thoughts? Fogged-In Horse Talk 4 07-10-2009 04:58 PM
    Pedigree Thoughts IdahoCowgirl Horse Breeds 4 07-10-2009 04:52 PM
    hey parelli people, or people interested in parelli... Spirithorse Horse Training 15 10-20-2008 08:31 PM
    what are your thoughts? -xx-sally-xx- English Riding 8 07-24-2008 03:06 AM
    having second thoughts again...arg SonnyWimps Horse Riding 8 05-12-2008 12:09 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0