Question about a particular Parelli technique /game?
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Natural Horsemanship

Question about a particular Parelli technique /game?

This is a discussion on Question about a particular Parelli technique /game? within the Natural Horsemanship forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Parelli russia
  • Parelli "goc"

Like Tree2Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-01-2012, 08:39 PM
  #1
Foal
Question about a particular Parelli technique /game?

My daughter and I attended a Parelli clinic today, as observers. It was a great experience, but because I had my two younger kids with me I couldn't focus as much, and didn't ask any questions. We hope to go again on Thursday, and leave the younger two with my husband, but for now I have a question.

At one point the trainer was supposed to place her hands on the horse's shoulder and "make" the horse turn around / pivot. She was supposed to stop when the horse did it right. There was something about the hind legs. It seems that the horse wasn't really getting it, and there were several "almosts." However I couldn't figure out what exactly they wanted from the horse?

Thank you!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-01-2012, 08:44 PM
  #2
Super Moderator
Kind of hard to guess, since we weren't there, but maybe along with asking the horse to step its' shoulders over, the handler wanted the horse to rock back onto his hind legs?

This is just a guess from me. I don't know the Parellit games.
     
    05-01-2012, 08:56 PM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
kind of hard to guess, since we weren't there, but maybe along with asking the horse to step its' shoulders over, the handler wanted the horse to rock back onto his hind legs?

This is just a guess from me. I don't know the Parellit games.
I guess this is my lack of horse knowlege speaking. I thought the maneuver would be something that was easily recognised.

Hopefully we will have a chance to go back there and ask in person. I appreciate you trying to figure it out!
     
    05-02-2012, 12:48 AM
  #4
Weanling
I'm not into Parelli and I don't have a clue either, but it sounds like it didn't work whatever they were doing. Horses have a great way of making asses out of us too!
Corporal likes this.
     
    05-02-2012, 12:52 AM
  #5
Started
Sounds like the porcupine game. You push your hands into the shoulder and release when the horse moves away from pressure. If he was wanting the horse to pivot, perhaps he was waiting to release when the front feet crossed over and the hind end remained still?

With this game you usually push the shoulder (pivot), middle (sidepass), and the butt (hip disengagement), if I remember correctly.
     
    05-02-2012, 01:08 AM
  #6
Weanling
If I can share one of my favorites, maybe you and your daughter will enjoy watching him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-ma...eature=related

A great book which may be a little heavy reading for a 10 year old but I think she would overall comprehend and enjoy it, is "Reading the Horse's Mind" by Jackie Budd.

There are numbers of lesser known trainers who have so much to offer for a more rounded view of the term "natural horsemanship."
     
    05-02-2012, 12:05 PM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh vair oh    
Sounds like the porcupine game. You push your hands into the shoulder and release when the horse moves away from pressure. If he was wanting the horse to pivot, perhaps he was waiting to release when the front feet crossed over and the hind end remained still?

With this game you usually push the shoulder (pivot), middle (sidepass), and the butt (hip disengagement), if I remember correctly.
Yes! She was pushing at the shoulder and hip. I think that was it! The hind legs though never remained still, even if they did some very fast turning. And whenever the Parelli instructor said, "Yes, release" the horse made yet another step with her hind legs.

Thank you for clarifying.
     
    05-02-2012, 12:10 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRichmond    
If I can share one of my favorites, maybe you and your daughter will enjoy watching him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-ma...eature=related

A great book which may be a little heavy reading for a 10 year old but I think she would overall comprehend and enjoy it, is "Reading the Horse's Mind" by Jackie Budd.

There are numbers of lesser known trainers who have so much to offer for a more rounded view of the term "natural horsemanship."
Thank you! We've watched Nevzorov a lot (our family comes from Russia). I'm not sure what to think about him in general--some ideas seem to be so out there. But I also watched a Russian documentary on him, and it was fascinating. He seems to be in line with what Jean Luce Cornille is working on. (Horse Trainer,Lameness ,Dressage Jumpers and 3 day event Horse Training)

I will check out the book you recommend. Thank you.

I do like the idea of checking out other trainers, not the most famous ones.
DRichmond likes this.
     
    05-02-2012, 12:55 PM
  #9
Green Broke
My answer isn't going to bash Parelli, as is today's fashion in some circles. The best I can say is they don't preach abuse.
I'm sure that you could teach your horse this game, given enough time. IMHO, I prefer to establish leadership like the head stallion, head gelding or head broodmare does. If you watch leadership in a herd, the leader tries to signal to get (as CA says) the other horse(s) to move their feet withOUT making contact, at least the first time. A kick may follow, but when the herd settles the leader postures and the others obey, without physical contact.
I think I've seen this type of training most often with Dennis Reis. He plants his feet and subtly cues, expecting just one foot to move the first time, therefore the horse becomes the follower instead of leader, relinquishing dominance. I prefer this bc a finished horse with good MANNERS will obey you right away and remain relaxed. If I have to always put my hands on my horses or my dogs to get them to listen it gets...OLD.
It's JUST my opinions, so take them with a grain of salt, if you wish. =D
     
    05-02-2012, 07:20 PM
  #10
Weanling
Speaking of Parelli, the Internet appears to have been scrubbed clean of the video debacle starring Linda Parelli publicly abusing a one-eyed horse a couple of years ago. I'm glad horse people everywhere blew the whistle because it hopefully saved a lot of beginners some hard earned money.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seeing The Parelli Friendly Game Paying Off LuckyRVT Natural Horsemanship 2 02-24-2012 07:47 AM
Can anyone explain this parelli technique to me? wishingforahorse Natural Horsemanship 9 05-17-2011 01:45 PM
Parelli with a green horse and ground manner question SonnyWimps Natural Horsemanship 16 05-17-2009 11:34 AM
Parelli work and a question SonnyWimps Horse Training 5 05-14-2008 10:38 AM
New technique Jr_lover Horse Grooming 10 04-27-2008 07:14 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0