So I just watched the Parelli Level One DVD... - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Natural Horsemanship

So I just watched the Parelli Level One DVD...

This is a discussion on So I just watched the Parelli Level One DVD... within the Natural Horsemanship forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Parelli helpless horse
  • Parelli training games learned helplessness

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-15-2010, 08:17 PM
  #21
Trained
That your horse is 19 says alot...while they can still learn new things, it can take a lot longer...but if you don't need it, then I would just be content that you can get him to respond with the longer whip and stick and string...a crop is only usually for undersaddle anyway, so I guess it just doesn't matter, because if he has "go" you have no need for it!

And it's kind of funny because I tend to get "funny looks" around here because I USE NH type methods...Lol! But no one reems me out, my mare and I just get funny looks; seems ground work and respect from the ground up isn't "common place" in my neighborhood!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-15-2010, 11:12 PM
  #22
Foal
I actually started working with him with the whip when he was 13 when I bought him... I talked to linda parelli and she said to play with him with the whip on the ground like it was the carrot stick and than work with him in the saddle. Well never got past the ground so I gave up. I tried riding him with my carrot stick, and that was a big no no too. Which makes me sad cause all the people at my barn play tag with their horses and I have to sit out cause anyone came at my horse with a carrot stick he would have a heart attack ha ha. For him the whip wasn't just to get him to go forward, he used to pull on me all the time, so their thought was everytime he pulled would be to tap him with it, but we never got to that point. He doesn't pull anymore, and if he does I just wear blunt spurs and tap him and he stops.

I used to give one girl the funniest look at my barn before I knew what NH was because she looked like a chicken and her horse looked so confused. I later found out the chicken was to ask you horse to back off you when you were leading them!!!!
     
    11-15-2010, 11:48 PM
  #23
Yearling
I couldn't figure out how the Parelli things worked when my husband's horse (a rescue) was being started by a Parelli trainer in our area. I knew how to lunge (the old way) but this horse would not go on the circle. I had my husband show me what he was doing and it was all about body language. He would **look** at a point on the horse's body to have him go forward, another point was "stop and give me two eyes" and so forth. Once that lightbulb went on in my head, now I see it in a lot of the NH trainer videos. Anderson, Lyons and Chris Cox to name 3 all use their body language and eyes to tell the horse what they want, in addition to using the lead rope or stick & string. In the more recent years as I'm watching some of these on TV, it seems that they are exaggerating the body language so that **we** get it -- it was too subtle in the earlier days for some of us to catch on to it. To me, it looked like a graceful dance but I didn't know the moves...

It's an interesting debate as to whether/how much this NH is using force compared to the other training methods. I think in my experience, the horses are so relieved to **know** for sure what we want, from the release of pressure and so forth, and then seem happier to do what we ask ... maybe because they know they will avoid the escalation of pressure?
     
    11-16-2010, 12:14 AM
  #24
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladytrails    
--- now I see it in a lot of the NH trainer videos. Anderson, Lyons and Chris Cox to name 3 all use their body language and eyes to tell the horse what they want, in addition to using the lead rope or stick & string. In the more recent years as I'm watching some of these on TV, it seems that they are exaggerating the body language so that **we** get it -- it was too subtle in the earlier days for some of us to catch on to it. To me, it looked like a graceful dance but I didn't know the moves...
It is not what you think, you must see the whole picture. These clinicians subjugate the horses, these horse are manipulated into a state of learned helplessness....in other words, using the gimmicks the clinicians 'force' the horses to comply...............I communicate with the horses without whips/carrot sticks, ropes or any other gimmicks, including 'human' body language...yes it is human not horse.......
     
    11-16-2010, 08:34 PM
  #25
Showing
I found a trainer who has copies of the DVD's that she sends to me to work on with Molly, and the three I have now are the basis for Parelli; the 7 games, "horsonalities", and an intro one. These have gotten me far with her and I'm ready to send them back for the next DVD, hopefully the Level 1, and see if it seems a good thing to persue.

So far I don't feel like it's done anything for her trust in me. She listens, she does all the games without a fuss, we're working on the Stick2Me thing, but it's not trust I'm seeing, just training. Also, it's not explained enough in the video what to do for certain problems. Molly doesn't do the yo-yo game too well because she doesn't "get" the concept of backing away from me with a wiggle of the rope. I always have to step into her space to get her to back, and we've been working at this for months with no change.

I really don't think Parelli is for every horse. My 23-yr old gelding won't lunge to save his life, or move away from his handler, for anything. And feel is the basis for Parelli.
     
    11-16-2010, 09:17 PM
  #26
Foal
I have been following the pat parelli system and my horse she is only 4 and she follows me like a dog...
     
    11-16-2010, 09:51 PM
  #27
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithorse8    
It is not what you think, you must see the whole picture. These clinicians subjugate the horses, these horse are manipulated into a state of learned helplessness....in other words, using the gimmicks the clinicians 'force' the horses to comply...............I communicate with the horses without whips/carrot sticks, ropes or any other gimmicks, including 'human' body language...yes it is human not horse...
I'm confused. You appear to have a halter and lead on the horse in your avatar. Do you use standard equipment or don't you?
     
    11-17-2010, 09:22 AM
  #28
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2pride    
I'm confused. You appear to have a halter and lead on the horse in your avatar. Do you use standard equipment or don't you?
I was about to ask the same thing.

Bits, saddles, etc. are also unnatural gimmicks (to cue the horse). So what about those?

I'm not bashing here, I'm really curious. Any piece of equipment is a gimmick (in horse's mind), so I don't quite get the original statement. Or you are talking only about "fancy" equipment sold for $$$?
     
    11-24-2010, 12:59 AM
  #29
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
I was about to ask the same thing.

Bits, saddles, etc. are also unnatural gimmicks (to cue the horse). So what about those?

I'm not bashing here, I'm really curious. Any piece of equipment is a gimmick (in horse's mind), so I don't quite get the original statement. Or you are talking only about "fancy" equipment sold for $$$?
Yes, like the Spirit bridle.
     
    11-24-2010, 01:09 AM
  #30
Yearling
I am really sorry to be coming across as aggressive here spirithorse8 but for all the information you are giving about 'your' training method I have come to the conclusion that you vaporize yourself into the ether, enter the horses ear and come out it's bum, transcending all earthly forms. A wonderful thought but a little impractical for the rest of us mere mortals who are not as high up the spiritual plain as you apparently are.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB Parelli Level 1/2 DVDs Photo Horse Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 11-11-2010 12:43 PM
Level 1 Parelli SugarPlumLove Natural Horsemanship 6 07-02-2010 05:50 AM
Parelli Level 4 Finesse.. what do you see??? HorsesAreForever Natural Horsemanship 41 05-08-2010 04:13 AM
Level 1/ 2 Parelli Clinic Nov. 20-22 in PA RadHenry09 Natural Horsemanship 7 11-30-2009 09:31 PM
Parelli Level 1 Partnership DVD set savana Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 11-27-2009 07:38 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0