Wanting opinions on my theory? sort of.. - Page 6 - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 70 Old 06-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 307
• Horses: 6
Ok Jolly Badger, that one really made me laugh! Sounds like it would make a great comic strip!

The whole prey predator thing is greatly overplayed. I've worked with feral and abused horses that are able to get over the thought that they might get eaten relatively quickly. I don't find that most people approach horses like a predator would, I find people that approach their horses similar to how they would approach a car, thinking that this button should do this and that button should do that instead of looking for communication from both sides. When the darn buttons don't work, that's when things start getting confusing for both parties involved.

When I was 13, I was sent into an 18 acre open pasture with 12 horses in it to catch one paso mare that was afraid to be caught. My trainer sent me out and said "if you want to work with the horse, you have to catch it". Now, I know catching it was the biggest part of the work and you figure out how to be "natural" pretty quickly when your tools are you, a halter, and a herd of horses for a few hours to catch the flightiest of the group. There wasn't anyone there to teach me about their language, I simply figured out what made them run and what made them come, learning my lines and knowing when to push and when to wait. It seems that most people I meet with horses now only want answers given to them, they never want to figure them out, the think that it all must come with an instruction manual.
FlitterBug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 70 Old 06-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,975
• Horses: 0
Parelli says to figure out probs yourself in Level 2, because independent prob solving's a must for anything past kindergarten horsemanship. I feel that instruction is helpful, too; can give you answers that might've taken you years to acquire on your own, help prevent accidents, etc.
Northern is offline  
post #53 of 70 Old 06-24-2010, 11:59 PM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,324
• Horses: 0
If you think like a human and use human logic with horses, you will never reach your full potential and the horse will never reach his.
Spirithorse is offline  
post #54 of 70 Old 06-25-2010, 03:55 AM
Lis
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: I live in rainy England
Posts: 879
• Horses: 0
I personally am not a fan of Parelli because I had a look into for my last loan since the owner raved about how good it was. Personally I don't think that much of it and I wasn't that impressed with her horse and his manners because she was one of the ones who didn't believe in correction. Yet I much prefered the pony who was owned by a practical, down to earth person because he had manners and had the good kind of spunk. He was going to reach his full potential a lot quicker and a lot better than the other one.

Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Lis is offline  
post #55 of 70 Old 06-25-2010, 06:59 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 23,907
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirithorse View Post
If you think like a human and use human logic with horses, you will never reach your full potential and the horse will never reach his.
Sorry, Spirit, I disagree. Unless you can read horse's mind (and I don't believe anyone in a world can) you'll never think like a horse. Doesn't matter how smart or special you are. You can understand the horse and where the certain behavior is coming from (and even then it's more like a guess), and train the way it would be clear (and enjoyable) for the horse, but you are not a horse and can't think like one. Still we have those awesome riders in any discipline with the horses which love what they are doing.
kitten_Val is offline  
post #56 of 70 Old 06-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beling View Post
It seems as though many people think Parelli = DVDs, books, special expensive equipment, and that all this is wrapped up in a promise for "success"??? But I don't believe that's entirely true. The Parelli System has real, live teachers, who DO think for themselves-- they're not carbon copies, at least in my experience--and they expect you to think things out. They are crucial to the program. I never heard of anyone trying to train a horse using ONLY DVDs and lesson plans! You could easily find yourself confusing your horse.

Just wanted to throw that in, to be fair. (I'm not a Parelli student, also can't afford it, but I go to their clinics, and the teachers are generous in their help. If you didn't know, you'd think they weren't Parelli...)
You have obviously not read many of the Parelli posts on this forum and any other horse forum.

A VERY large number of the people that do Parelli never work with a live person. They say they can not afford a trainer, etc. They buy the DVDs because the system is touted as being a complete system where anyone can become a horse trainer.
Alwaysbehind is offline  
post #57 of 70 Old 06-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 441
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten_Val View Post
Sorry, Spirit, I disagree. Unless you can read horse's mind (and I don't believe anyone in a world can) you'll never think like a horse. Doesn't matter how smart or special you are. You can understand the horse and where the certain behavior is coming from (and even then it's more like a guess), and train the way it would be clear (and enjoyable) for the horse, but you are not a horse and can't think like one. Still we have those awesome riders in any discipline with the horses which love what they are doing.
^^This!

There is a difference between "thinking like" a horse and simply understanding horse behavior well enough to use it as part of training (without going overboard).

I've noticed that a lot of people who try to "think like a horse" get really tense and over-analytical about every little movement, especially when they're caught up in the idea of the predator/prey relationship, or what the horse is indicating using its own body language.

Every flick of the ear, every swish of the tail or stomp of a foot must "mean" something, right? And no, I am not singling-out the Parelli folks here, because there are plenty of people who have never so much as picked up a "Carrot Stick" who do the same thing.

"Parelli horsemanship is just like painting by the numbers. You need absolutely no skill. You just put this color here and this color there, and when you're done, you have ... a mess no one wants." mp
Jolly Badger is offline  
post #58 of 70 Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 441
• Horses: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind View Post
You have obviously not read many of the Parelli posts on this forum and any other horse forum.

A VERY large number of the people that do Parelli never work with a live person. They say they can not afford a trainer, etc. They buy the DVDs because the system is touted as being a complete system where anyone can become a horse trainer.
Yep, I've seen (and met) the type you describe. They'll put themselves in debt to buy a "club" membership and all of the books and DVDs and training gadgets that go along with it, but insist that they cannot "afford" a trainer.

"Parelli horsemanship is just like painting by the numbers. You need absolutely no skill. You just put this color here and this color there, and when you're done, you have ... a mess no one wants." mp
Jolly Badger is offline  
post #59 of 70 Old 06-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Just south of sanity
Posts: 16,227
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Badger View Post
Yep, I've seen (and met) the type you describe. They'll put themselves in debt to buy a "club" membership and all of the books and DVDs and training gadgets that go along with it, but insist that they cannot "afford" a trainer.
Those are the types who have 'Black Stallion Syndrome' and think they can train their horse themselves with lurve, an expensive twirly, flickitatin' rope, and DVDs.

It apparently doesn't matter that they've never even owned a horse before, since it's all about the 7 Games, how to 'think' like a horse, and their animal's 'horsenality'. I seriously laughed out loud when I first saw that word.

Horsenality my big, fat, jiggly, cellulited behind! What won't the Mustachioed one and his Bitter Half do to take some poor naive fool's money?
Speed Racer is offline  
post #60 of 70 Old 06-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In a land far far away, or so I wish.
Posts: 12,825
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Badger View Post

Every flick of the ear, every swish of the tail or stomp of a foot must "mean" something, right?
Right! And it can not be that there is a fly on my belly that just will not go away or that someone down the street just made a funky noise.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Racer View Post

Horsenality my big, fat, jiggly, cellulited behind!
Eeek. Mental image. Eye bleach.

Last edited by Alwaysbehind; 06-25-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Alwaysbehind is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanting to breed this mare, opinions? Jester5159 Horse Breeding 10 04-08-2010 10:16 AM
Weird Hoof Crack Theory... Skippy! Hoof Care 9 04-04-2009 10:45 AM
Charlie's gone ... sort of. iridehorses Horse Talk 9 03-23-2009 04:42 PM
I'm new...sort of. TheMadHatter Meet the Community 3 02-10-2009 09:30 PM
The Big Bang Theory califcowgirl Movies, Music, and TV 3 11-01-2008 03:17 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome