What in the world is going on here? - Page 4
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Natural Horsemanship

What in the world is going on here?

This is a discussion on What in the world is going on here? within the Natural Horsemanship forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Crazyqhit

Like Tree119Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-04-2013, 08:54 AM
  #31
Started
Horses panic when they are in the presence of panic. The handler looks panicky, and Linda sounds shrill. No amount of "games" are going to help, unless they calm the HANDLER.

JMO.

Nancy
Allison Finch likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-04-2013, 01:16 PM
  #32
Yearling
I used this "game" with my pushy disrespectful colt, but I modified it in many ways. I mainly just jiggle the rope now to ask him to stop and stand still, and swing the loose end at him to back up. I don't like to hit him in the jaw with the metal clasp.
I really liked parelli in the beginning, but after so many "games" my colt was still really disrespectful, and pushy, because they were too easy on him. So I combined a few tricks from other trainers, and so far so good. Some of the stuff doesn't make any sense to me....
     
    04-04-2013, 01:41 PM
  #33
Started
Parelli was the first method I ever learned and used it with my first crazy QH. It worked. However, over the years, while I can appreciate certain parts of it, just like other methods from other trainers, it has lost it's luster. I do like Pat, but have never liked Linda. I don't think she has a clue really.

This specific video shows Linda getting aggrevated and taking it out on the horse IMO. I understand a disrespectful horse that runs all over you. I had one. But losing your temper and not releasing the pressure when appropriate just made the whole thing worse. That horse deserved some releases there and didn't get them.

I also feel that if one way of doing things is doing nothing but making the situation out of control, then try a different way. Linda can't do that because it is the Parelli way, or no way. I think the most effective way is the one that the handler and horse can both communicate with the quickest way. Linda looked like she was having a tantrum while the horse was confused and not learning a thing.....IMO, of course.
     
    04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
  #34
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhorselady    
Parelli was the first method I ever learned and used it with my first crazy QH. It worked. However, over the years, while I can appreciate certain parts of it, just like other methods from other trainers, it has lost it's luster. I do like Pat, but have never liked Linda. I don't think she has a clue really.

This specific video shows Linda getting aggrevated and taking it out on the horse IMO. I understand a disrespectful horse that runs all over you. I had one. But losing your temper and not releasing the pressure when appropriate just made the whole thing worse. That horse deserved some releases there and didn't get them.

I also feel that if one way of doing things is doing nothing but making the situation out of control, then try a different way. Linda can't do that because it is the Parelli way, or no way. I think the most effective way is the one that the handler and horse can both communicate with the quickest way. Linda looked like she was having a tantrum while the horse was confused and not learning a thing.....IMO, of course.
I sometimes think when you get a horse that thinks its a bulldozer or steam roller (like our Clyde x) its a lot easier to just give them one good crack across the chest with a schooling whip and tell them firmly to stand. I only ever did this once with her and now if she thinks about being pushy all I have to do is tell her to stand back in a louder than usual tone and she does as she's told - and that's 8 years on. I'm not one for getting aggressive with horses and its a bad idea to do things in anger/temper but a controlled bit of discipline doesn't hurt IMO if it means avoiding potential damage to a fragile human.
To use the method shown here to train a horse to back up though - I just don't get it at all, it doesn't even 'translate' to what you'd do in the saddle.
     
    04-04-2013, 02:46 PM
  #35
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee    
I sometimes think when you get a horse that thinks its a bulldozer or steam roller (like our Clyde x) its a lot easier to just give them one good crack across the chest with a schooling whip and tell them firmly to stand. I only ever did this once with her and now if she thinks about being pushy all I have to do is tell her to stand back in a louder than usual tone and she does as she's told - and that's 8 years on. I'm not one for getting aggressive with horses and its a bad idea to do things in anger/temper but a controlled bit of discipline doesn't hurt IMO if it means avoiding potential damage to a fragile human.
To use the method shown here to train a horse to back up though - I just don't get it at all, it doesn't even 'translate' to what you'd do in the saddle.
I see now how this method doesn't really translate with backing up. However, at the time, it was all I knew and it did actually help my horse and I have communication and create a bond. The main thing I needed with her at the time, was a calm way to allow me to interact with her to where I wouldn't get killed being a beginner horse owner/rider.

I don't believe in aggression either, but if the circumstance is dangerous, I will do what it takes during that moment. However, when that moment is over, it's over, and we start again. I try to keep in mind what another horse would do....and that often would be much more dramatic than what I could do to defend myself.

I've now had four horses, all different breeds and personalities. Two aggressive and two the polar opposite. I have used different tactics for all four....whichever one made it the easiest for us to communicate effectively.
     
    04-04-2013, 03:05 PM
  #36
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhorselady    
... I have used different tactics for all four....whichever one made it the easiest for us to communicate effectively.
Well, Oldhorselady, I do believe you have made a very profound statement
Oldhorselady likes this.
     
    04-04-2013, 03:08 PM
  #37
Super Moderator
I think its only when you've owned several horses that are all different that you realize that the 'one size fits all' style of training wont work. I'm sure people can be lucky and just have that horse that these things do work for and that makes them believe they've found the miracle technique - then you get the one that didn't read the right manual and it all falls apart!!!
Oldhorselady likes this.
     
    04-04-2013, 03:29 PM
  #38
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee    
I think its only when you've owned several horses that are all different that you realize that the 'one size fits all' style of training wont work. I'm sure people can be lucky and just have that horse that these things do work for and that makes them believe they've found the miracle technique - then you get the one that didn't read the right manual and it all falls apart!!!
You are right. I never thought about it that way....I've been lucky enough to have four very different horses to see that one way is NOT the only way.

If I used the training I did with my crazy, scared to death of everything QH....the OTTB would have laughed and killed me and the two I have now would stand there like a statue with a question mark above their heads.
jaydee likes this.
     
    04-04-2013, 03:35 PM
  #39
Yearling
backing up rope video

Compleatley point less exercise 0% acheved there the horse wont give ground at all.
It seem it wants to join up if that's what it been taught to do,
Or it will end up head shy and more problems to solve.
     
    04-06-2013, 04:41 AM
  #40
Trained
That just made me extremely angry & sad! That was just horrific! And I only read the first page comments, but surely I'm not the only one who REALLY feels like going there & kicking her in the head?? Well, I'm not actually one for confrontations, so maybe 'just' putting a halter - no, a cradle bridle - on her & 'teaching' her some tricks with her methods!! But seriously, how isn't that animal cruelty?? Was I the only one that watched that was barracking for the horse, willing it to fight back??

I can understand the first guy, obviously a student that obviously has little clue & a bad instructor, I can understand people misinterpreting stuff, but if I'm not mistaken, that instructor is actually Linda Parelli??
smrobs, jaydee and Muppetgirl like this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TB in a QH World! Iseul Cutting and Team Penning 0 03-24-2013 09:11 PM
At Stud: AQHA/ABRA/IBHA Buckskin Dun, World and Res World Champ! All-Around! suncolorsranch Horse Breeding 17 03-24-2009 02:08 PM
Video of Stallion, SBR Formula One, AQHA Dunskin, World & Res World Champ suncolorsranch Horse Videos 9 02-08-2009 02:56 PM
@ Stud: AQHA-SBR Formula One ABRA World & Res World Cham suncolorsranch Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 09-23-2008 02:51 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0