Bad news from vet.. - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > New to Horses

Bad news from vet..

This is a discussion on Bad news from vet.. within the New to Horses forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category

    Like Tree79Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        06-26-2013, 11:41 AM
      #11
    Showing
    Unfortunately it's call Horse Tradin' which means Buyer Beware. This old boy has entered a very expensive stage in his life and it's tough deciding enough is enough. He's in pain and it's time.
    Eolith and lilypoo like this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        06-26-2013, 11:43 AM
      #12
    Started
    My advice would be to put him down. I'm sorry.
    It sounds like his quality of life sucks, no matter how you look at it.
    I could blather on here about options, etc. but from my point of view, that is the best option.
    Eolith, nvr2many and lilypoo like this.
         
        06-26-2013, 02:41 PM
      #13
    Foal
    Thanks everyone for the advice! It really helps to have all the input...no matter how hard to hear. :/

    I agree about it not being the best thing for him to send him back to the original owner. It's the only way I can buy another horse right away...so I thought I'd give it a shot. I figure he would be no worse for the wear than he would be if I'd never agreed to purchase him. I have not heard back but I plan to contact her again if I don't hear back soon.

    I do have a friend who has green pasture, a horse that needs company and a stall he could have, at least for now. She wouldn't charge me boarding as long as I supply any additional feed or meds that he needs. My worry would be that if/when she decides to get another horse that then I'd end up with no place to keep him. But I could cross that bridge when the time comes.

    I think the seller did think she was doing the "right" thing for him...I think maybe she thought he'd be better off if some sucker with a soft heart took him on and was willing to pay his bills? She was obviously very sad to see him go.

    I'm quite flummoxed at the whole situation. I'm usually really, really good at reading people.
         
        06-26-2013, 02:54 PM
      #14
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walkinthewalk    

    Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Just know that keeping this horse is not going to initially be cheap. He needs a lot of serious up front help
    Vet #2 specializes in holistic medicine, chiro services and performance dentistry and said she would work on him if I decided to keep him but that she really didn't recommend it and that a dental for him would be very expensive and that I'd be looking at over $1k just trying to get him right and even then he'd never be right.

    Thank you!!!
         
        06-26-2013, 02:55 PM
      #15
    Foal
    I do agree that his behavior issues are related to his condition. When he's been out and moving around, he is a lot nicer and relaxed.
         
        06-26-2013, 07:23 PM
      #16
    Weanling
    OP, can you tell us a bit more about vet #1? Because quite frankly, I'd be wanting a complete refund of her supposed "services". She should've known he was drugged, she should've known a hell of a lot what wrong with that horse, and she should've told you. If you were rich, I'd tell you to sue the pants off her, but that's probably an overreaction haha. Nevertheless, contact her and demand a refund for the "vet check" or whatever the hell she called that waste of your money.

    I'm so sorry you've had to go through this... It is a horrible situation.

    I have to agree with what others have said - don't send him back, he'll just drop the weight and end up in the horrible situation he was in before. I know this is hard to hear, but it sounds like he really is in a lot of pain, discomfort and is suffering.

    I truly think the kindest option for the horse is to euthenise. It is hard not to be selfish and keep them going because you love them, but you have to put their quality of life first. I work in wildlife rescue and have to make life or death decisions every day and it NEVER gets easier. The day it becomes easy is the day I know I've lost my heart. But we have to put the animals first, instead of dragging out their suffering.

    Just my two cents, you don't have to take it. Just wanna say I'm sorry for what you've been through :( It is devastating. Xx
    EvilHorseOfDoom and lilypoo like this.
         
        06-26-2013, 11:57 PM
      #17
    Foal
    Well vet #1 comes highly recommended and has a really great reputation. From what I've managed to dig up today, vet #2 has a reputation for being extremely negative and controlling, especially to people she feels are green and have no business buying horses.

    So...I had a pair of very well-respected experts (trainer and farrier) out today and they both agreed that I should toss out vet #2's report. They use vet #1 and have for years (I have friends that have used vet #1 for close to 30 years!) and feel as though her assessment would be the more accurate one.

    The trainer rode him bareback for a few minutes with his halter and lead and he did great. The farrier said he's trained as a roping horse and had lots of go left in him. He also didn't think he was in great amounts of pain. He's a little lame at more than a walk in his back legs (they trotted a bit, nothing more) but he's optimistic that he can fix him up when he shoes him. We have to wait for his hooves to grow a lot more. The angle is bad and it's a poor job.

    And the farrier's wife (also a trainer) told me several times that I didn't do too bad and that he's perfectly suitable for light trail riding...and that he might even really enjoy it.

    Both people today did agree he must be mid-late twenties and not 18. But they said he has several years left if I take good care of him and get him into better condition. They really don't believe he's anywhere near as bad as the vet's report said...they agree he must have had an injury that wasn't properly taken care of, and that his feet and teeth have been neglected. As far as being in pain, they think he's a bit stiff when I first take him out, but okay once he's moving around.

    So...joint supplements, better shoeing and continued Equine Senior with various supplements is the plan. The best (and only highly recommended) equine dentist in the area is out of town till end of September and I'll look for an alternative but everyone I talk to who knows horses says it'd be worth waiting. And that I should consider pulling the hay and doing straight pellets or possibly pellets and soaked hay cubes.

    I don't mind spending extra $$ for supplements that will help his joints and inflammation...I figured that I'd have to do that if I bought an older horse.

    So basically I have two trainers, a farrier, our barn manager and his assistant and vet #1 who all think he is usable for what I wanted him for. And the one lone voice of dissent who has a reputation for being overly-negative.

    I definitely don't want to hurt him or have him in pain, but I think I'm going to take it a day at a time and see what I can do for him. If he ends up not ever being manageable for me, there's always my friend's pasture if he's not in tons of pain. Of course if I was confident he was in pain then it'd be his time. I don't have a lot of evidence he's in pain other than what vet #2 said.

    Still it's a sticky situation!!!
         
        06-27-2013, 02:21 AM
      #18
    Weanling
    Wow, that's a tough situation, it really is. Well, it sounds like you have a lot of very experienced people around you who will be able to guide your journey. Wishing you the best of luck with all of it x
    lilypoo likes this.
         
        06-27-2013, 02:25 AM
      #19
    Started
    You know, your friend's pasture doesn't sound like a bad idea for him. Could you still ride from there? It seems like having freedom of movement might be better that being in a stall most of the time.
    It does sound like maybe you have been able to put off an unpleasant decision for now. As long as he can live in comfort anyway.
         
        06-27-2013, 08:09 AM
      #20
    Green Broke
    OP, you have done a tremendous amount of research and asking questions of the right people. How very lucky you are to be surrounded by such ethical and experienced horse folks

    I agree, moving him to your friend's pasture would be in his best interest.

    While I wouldn't take all his hay away as horses are naturally grazing animals, I agree either hay pellets or well soaked and hand mushed hay cubes are in order.

    You would have to mush the cubes up by hand to be sure there was nothing for him to choke on. Hooks on teeth mean the horse can miss a chew and accidentally swallow something before he really wants to, possibly choking.

    Did your team have any thoughts on the possible ringbone? IMO, everything else is fixable, to varying degrees and enough to be able to make him comfortable.

    Ringbone eventually becomes a death sentence and might be the one thing that would lead to "sending him on" sooner than later

    A horse will tell you when they "just can't do this anymore". The light goes out of their eyes in a way that tears your heart right out of your chest, so you will know when it's time.

    Even though my nose is still in a twist over Vet #1 saying she does not do PPE's but more-or-less did a facsimile of one anyway, it's good to know she is considered reliable and honest - lol lol lol
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Good News Bad News : everything works out! Mckellar English Riding 7 07-28-2012 07:32 AM
    Arie update- good news and bad news Ariel Horse Health 12 12-08-2010 10:45 PM
    Good News, Bad News, And ANOTHER Annoying Person AngelWithoutWings54 Horse Riding 4 09-23-2010 10:58 PM
    Jumping... Good News and Bad News AngelWithoutWings54 Horse Training 11 06-26-2010 08:51 AM
    So the vet came out--bad news for Gidgit Gidget Horse Health 13 02-13-2010 04:12 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0