Cost of owning a horse? (North Houston, Tx) - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > New to Horses

Cost of owning a horse? (North Houston, Tx)

This is a discussion on Cost of owning a horse? (North Houston, Tx) within the New to Horses forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • How much does it cost to board a horse
  • Horses for sale in houston tx

Like Tree3Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    05-17-2013, 02:22 PM
  #11
Trained
Considering your time and budget, maybe finding a lease or part lease would be a better idea. That way if your finances turn south you could still end the lease and you wouldn't be trying to frantically rehome a horse.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    05-17-2013, 02:46 PM
  #12
Foal
I have thought of this but there really aren't many lease opportunities available in the area. And none off site. I could do a partial lease where I take lessons for $275 on a lesson horse. But I would have to work around their schedule (which is pretty full) and ride no more than 1hr a day. :/ my problem with working with my aunt's horse is that she's a 25 min drive away away and that's a lot of gas. Plus I would have to pay for her to be trained. Min board to save her space. Plus board at training barn plus $30 a ride 3x a week for a few months? Holy crap. And she would not be my horse. I would have respect my aunt's opinions which many times don't mirror my own. I have pretty much thought of everything. I really think doing this would be best for me. If anything happened I have enough money saved that I would have time to find a home. And I truly don't care about resale. I will give away the horse if I felt sure I found the right home. But unfortunately right now it is about money. Which is really why I want to get a solid estimate to make sure we are ready for the responsibility.
     
    05-17-2013, 02:55 PM
  #13
Yearling
I'm at a self care place and my guy (17.1 TB who is 15 yrs old) gets 6 lbs of Triple Crown Senior a day. I pay 21$ a bag, and I go through 3.5 bags a month, so roughly 80 dollars a month. Plus about 6 bales of hay at 10$/bale so for a hardkeeper I spend roughly $140 a month. But he also gets smartpaks so add a hundred to that and that'll get you to 240, but my guys a hard keeper who's on a probiotic, flaxseed, and a joint supplement

But that's worst case scenario with having a hard keeper. I could give you a complete list of my costs per month, it might help since I'm in your area so things would be pretty similar
     
    05-17-2013, 03:12 PM
  #14
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SullysRider    
I'm at a self care place and my guy (17.1 TB who is 15 yrs old) gets 6 lbs of Triple Crown Senior a day. I pay 21$ a bag, and I go through 3.5 bags a month, so roughly 80 dollars a month. Plus about 6 bales of hay at 10$/bale so for a hardkeeper I spend roughly $140 a month. But he also gets smartpaks so add a hundred to that and that'll get you to 240, but my guys a hard keeper who's on a probiotic, flaxseed, and a joint supplement

But that's worst case scenario with having a hard keeper. I could give you a complete list of my costs per month, it might help since I'm in your area so things would be pretty similar
That would be amazing. That post help me so much already. If you not comfortable posting here you could pm me. Thanks so much.
     
    05-17-2013, 06:13 PM
  #15
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssaanne    
I have thought of this but there really aren't many lease opportunities available in the area. And none off site.
Perhaps you're not looking in the right places? I see several horses for lease in your area on DreamHorse.com if you were interested in trying a lease first. Many of them are also for sale, so you could potentially buy the horse if you really fell in love (I also find that people who have their horses listed both for sale & for lease are more willing to do an off-site lease)
     
    05-17-2013, 08:01 PM
  #16
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by verona1016    
Perhaps you're not looking in the right places? I see several horses for lease in your area on DreamHorse.com if you were interested in trying a lease first. Many of them are also for sale, so you could potentially buy the horse if you really fell in love (I also find that people who have their horses listed both for sale & for lease are more willing to do an off-site lease)
I will look again. I would like a lease to own. However either way I will have to commit to the 10 k to get the property ready.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    05-17-2013, 10:23 PM
  #17
Teen Forum Moderator
I have a miniature horse and live in the subburbs of Houston as well, so I can easily help you with that....but honestly I'm not sure that getting a mini as a companion for a full sized horse is a great idea. If your horse gets upset and kicks at the mini, it could easily be killed. We had a mini gelding killed by one of our quieter horses that just got fed up with him one day. Fatal kick to the head.

If you do get a mini though, you're going to have to feed it hay, not pasture. Miniature horses can not have much grass (more than 1 hour a day or so, if that) because they can founder or become obese, and you'd have to buy a grazing muzzle for it to wear all of the time.

My mini mare (34" tall, ~220 lbs, 5 years old) is normally used very often for driving and is in moderate work, so she'd normally eat more than your mini would if it was just a companion. Right now she is on stall rest (sprained fetlock joint) so she's eating close to what yours would eat. She is dry lotted normally and has no access to grass ever, unless I hand graze her for a few minutes. She eats 2 flakes of a small bale of Jiggs Costal hay (40 lb, so each flake weights about 4 lbs) daily, and half of a flake of alfalfa hay when I can buy it and it doesn't look like crap. If I can't find good alfalfa I sub in 1 1/2 lbs of alfalfa/timothy hay pellets.

The jiggs costal hay costs $11-14 per bale depending on the week, and I go through about 8 per month. It is included in my board but if I paid for it I would be spending $112 tops on the hay. I buy the alfalfa pellets myself, which are $12.99 per 40 lbs but I doubt your mini would need the alfalfa. She was on grain, (nutrena) which costed me $21 per bag and lasted for what seemed like forever (a good month, I'd say) but you shouldn't need that. Depending on the quality of your hay you MIGHT need a suppliment or ration balancer. I've used Enrich 32, just 2 cups, daily before, and it lasted me, again, about 5 weeks. That was in place of grain.

Then ofcourse, farrier work. I have a VERY hard time finding good farriers in our area (especially for a mini) and end up paying $55+ for a half way decent job, but maybe there are better ones in Conroe. Then you'll need wormer of course, and vet checks. Other than that you should be good to go.

A word of warning though. I've had difficulty finding good quality hay around her lately, so always break a bale up after you pay for it if you can, before you leave the supplier. Check for mold, weeds, thick stalks, burrs, etc, and demand a refund for the rest of that one is nasty. I've had so many of my bales LOOK nice but on the inside be horrible, that I just thought I'd warn you. And if it doesn't smell good, it probably isnt ;)


Also, for the full sized horse, I'm feeding a very malnourished, high maitenence TB filly right now and have her on a high-cal, high-fat, high PRICE diet, and we still about $250 per month on her feed including unlimited hay. She has ad-lib Jiggs Costal hay, 5 lbs alfalfa pellets, (WILL HAVE, still integrating it into her diet) 2-3 lbs beet pulp, 4 lbs Nutrena Mare and Foal, and DuMor Ultrashine suppliment. Her farrier work is another story though...lol
     
    05-17-2013, 11:27 PM
  #18
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku    
I have a miniature horse and live in the subburbs of Houston as well, so I can easily help you with that....but honestly I'm not sure that getting a mini as a companion for a full sized horse is a great idea. If your horse gets upset and kicks at the mini, it could easily be killed. We had a mini gelding killed by one of our quieter horses that just got fed up with him one day. Fatal kick to the head.

If you do get a mini though, you're going to have to feed it hay, not pasture. Miniature horses can not have much grass (more than 1 hour a day or so, if that) because they can founder or become obese, and you'd have to buy a grazing muzzle for it to wear all of the time.

My mini mare (34" tall, ~220 lbs, 5 years old) is normally used very often for driving and is in moderate work, so she'd normally eat more than your mini would if it was just a companion. Right now she is on stall rest (sprained fetlock joint) so she's eating close to what yours would eat. She is dry lotted normally and has no access to grass ever, unless I hand graze her for a few minutes. She eats 2 flakes of a small bale of Jiggs Costal hay (40 lb, so each flake weights about 4 lbs) daily, and half of a flake of alfalfa hay when I can buy it and it doesn't look like crap. If I can't find good alfalfa I sub in 1 1/2 lbs of alfalfa/timothy hay pellets.

The jiggs costal hay costs $11-14 per bale depending on the week, and I go through about 8 per month. It is included in my board but if I paid for it I would be spending $112 tops on the hay. I buy the alfalfa pellets myself, which are $12.99 per 40 lbs but I doubt your mini would need the alfalfa. She was on grain, (nutrena) which costed me $21 per bag and lasted for what seemed like forever (a good month, I'd say) but you shouldn't need that. Depending on the quality of your hay you MIGHT need a suppliment or ration balancer. I've used Enrich 32, just 2 cups, daily before, and it lasted me, again, about 5 weeks. That was in place of grain.

Then ofcourse, farrier work. I have a VERY hard time finding good farriers in our area (especially for a mini) and end up paying $55+ for a half way decent job, but maybe there are better ones in Conroe. Then you'll need wormer of course, and vet checks. Other than that you should be good to go.

A word of warning though. I've had difficulty finding good quality hay around her lately, so always break a bale up after you pay for it if you can, before you leave the supplier. Check for mold, weeds, thick stalks, burrs, etc, and demand a refund for the rest of that one is nasty. I've had so many of my bales LOOK nice but on the inside be horrible, that I just thought I'd warn you. And if it doesn't smell good, it probably isnt ;)


Also, for the full sized horse, I'm feeding a very malnourished, high maitenence TB filly right now and have her on a high-cal, high-fat, high PRICE diet, and we still about $250 per month on her feed including unlimited hay. She has ad-lib Jiggs Costal hay, 5 lbs alfalfa pellets, (WILL HAVE, still integrating it into her diet) 2-3 lbs beet pulp, 4 lbs Nutrena Mare and Foal, and DuMor Ultrashine suppliment. Her farrier work is another story though...lol
I admittedly don't know hardly anything about minis but I am surprised by this.. (the grazing part) in my neighborhood there are a lot of minis I see grazing. One such property has two drafts and two *minis* that match the drafts (it's so freaking cute btw) that are always on 24/7 turnout together. Could I be confusing
Minis with a type of pony? I have pretty much zero experience with minis/ponys so it's entirely possible.
     
    05-17-2013, 11:40 PM
  #19
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssaanne    
I admittedly don't know hardly anything about minis but I am surprised by this.. (the grazing part) in my neighborhood there are a lot of minis I see grazing. One such property has two drafts and two *minis* that match the drafts (it's so freaking cute btw) that are always on 24/7 turnout together. Could I be confusing
Minis with a type of pony? I have pretty much zero experience with minis/ponys so it's entirely possible.
Okay. I'm embarrassed. I'm thinking of shetlands I think. is there much difference keeping them?
     
    05-18-2013, 03:56 PM
  #20
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssaanne    
That would be amazing. That post help me so much already. If you not comfortable posting here you could pm me. Thanks so much.
All on a monthly basis-
Feed (total including supplements and hay) $240
Board $250
Farrier $100
Grooming Stuff/Fly Spray $40
Gas $75
Lessons $175 (I get a boarder discount)
Massages $280
Chiropractor (if he needs it) $200+

You will have slightly different expenses, but that'll give you an idea. Be very careful about hay as quality tends to vary quite a bit. Find a supplier whose hay you and your horse like and stick with them lol. And there are a lot of farriers in the area but I've found even then it is hard to find a good one!
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much does owning a hamster cost? Abel Other Pets 0 03-26-2013 03:49 PM
barrel horse trainer houston tx ldjs Horse Training 0 07-01-2012 01:23 AM
True Cost of Owning a Horse kathryn Horse Talk 10 07-28-2009 04:18 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0