Horses and apples
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Keeping and Caring for Horses > New to Horses

Horses and apples

This is a discussion on Horses and apples within the New to Horses forums, part of the Keeping and Caring for Horses category
  • Horses and apples
  • Why do horses like apples

Like Tree4Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-22-2013, 12:17 AM
  #1
Foal
Question Horses and apples

Hello again,
What do you do if a horse doesn't eat an apple? I held one out to my neighbors horse today and he didn't know what to make of it. He nibbled it and tried to eat it but wouldn't. Finally I cut it into fourths, and he ate most of it them. Is this an indication of a tooth problem? Has he never had an apple before? Please help!
My thanks,
Michaela Wallingford
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-22-2013, 12:21 AM
  #2
Yearling
He might not have ever had one before, and some horses have specific treats they'll eat and others they won't. He also might have just been unsure of it because you're a stranger.

I personally always cut apples for my horses, because feeding a whole one makes me worry about the possibility of choking.

Do you have permission to be feeding your neighbors horses treats? It sounds harmless but many people are unaware of behavior problems treat giving by hand can cause. Also some horses cannot have treats with sugars in them.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-22-2013, 12:22 AM
  #3
Yearling
Some horses don't like apples, one of my horses won't eat a crabapple.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-22-2013, 01:21 AM
  #4
Foal
Sounds like he was unsure to me. My guy did this when I first got him. Doesn't now though. Also how were you holding your hand sometimes my gelding nibbles when my finger are in a spot that he may accidentally bite so he's extra careful.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-22-2013, 02:05 AM
  #5
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingGrrl    
He might not have ever had one before, and some horses have specific treats they'll eat and others they won't. He also might have just been unsure of it because you're a stranger.

I personally always cut apples for my horses, because feeding a whole one makes me worry about the possibility of choking.

Do you have permission to be feeding your neighbors horses treats? It sounds harmless but many people are unaware of behavior problems treat giving by hand can cause. Also some horses cannot have treats with sugars in them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Or he's unaware of what they are because his owners don't feed him treats.
     
    12-22-2013, 02:20 AM
  #6
Yearling
Maybe he just doesn't like apples.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-22-2013, 02:45 AM
  #7
Yearling
If his owners don't feed him treats it's probably for a reason. Do you have permission to be feeding it? If not stop feeding the horse behind his hack. It can cause nasty unwanted behavior. One of my mares gets no treats for that reason. If people fed her apples without asking I'd be very angry with them. There's a reason she doesn't get any. Always ask, never assume it's okay.
     
    12-22-2013, 10:04 AM
  #8
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17mwallingford    
Hello again,
What do you do if a horse doesn't eat an apple? I held one out to my neighbors horse today and he didn't know what to make of it. He nibbled it and tried to eat it but wouldn't. Finally I cut it into fourths, and he ate most of it them. Is this an indication of a tooth problem? Has he never had an apple before? Please help!
My thanks,
Michaela Wallingford
Some horses don't like apples. Neither of mine will eat them. You can put a slice in their mouth and they "might" actually bit it before let it fall out and push out any of it that didn't fall. They don't like sweet treats (like mints) either. Only one of them will sometimes take a bit of carrot.

It's amusing watching people trying to entice them with these "treats" that many horses love, but mine dislike. I keep hay cubes or pellets handy for when a child wants to give them a treat. They'll both come for those and it's good for the child to feel successful at giving the horse a treat (especially after their apple failed)
     
    12-22-2013, 10:09 AM
  #9
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox    
If his owners don't feed him treats it's probably for a reason. Do you have permission to be feeding it? If not stop feeding the horse behind his hack. It can cause nasty unwanted behavior. One of my mares gets no treats for that reason. If people fed her apples without asking I'd be very angry with them. There's a reason she doesn't get any. Always ask, never assume it's okay.
This. Mine wouldn't take them either because they don't get treats. Lesson horses get the occasional peppermint from students after they catch them for lessons but only in a feed pan.
     
    12-22-2013, 11:47 AM
  #10
Green Broke
My horse absolutely loves apples. And he gets them hand fed, though I get why some people chose not to give their horse treats.

That said, he may just not like apples. I used to lease a horse that was very picky about his treats xD
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
apples elbandita Horse Nutrition 13 12-06-2013 12:31 AM
hedge apples? floyd2012 Horse Health 4 09-09-2012 08:15 PM
Are all horses like this, or have we just had some really bad apples? (It's long) poultrygirl Horse Riding 17 09-13-2010 08:55 PM
Hedge Apples Vidaloco Horse Health 2 07-22-2008 06:05 PM
Apples and Carrots melinda27858 Horse Health 8 03-07-2008 11:48 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0